Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

headers and your warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default headers and your warranty

I was just curious to know if anyone with headers has taken their car to the dealership for service. Do they deny you and void warranty or is it ok?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

depends on the service. a dealership by federal law, cannot void your warranty without proving that the "non-factory" part caused a problem. so unless your header is causing you some kind of problem, then youre safe.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

considering its diretly connected to your engine(if you take it to the dealership for repair) the warranty will probably be voided.
you can get away with CAI's and exhausts usually.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK... there's a link in my sig about your warranty. Read it.

Here's the quick idea...

No mods will ever instantly void your warranty. However, if you put headers on and they cause a CEL or otherwise cause a problem with your engine that you try to get fixed via warranty, they can deny your warranty claim for that repair if they determine the problem was caused by your headers. The warranty is still intact and still valid, it just will not cover the cost of those repairs.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
OK... there's a link in my sig about your warranty. Read it.

Here's the quick idea...

No mods will ever instantly void your warranty. However, if you put headers on and they cause a CEL or otherwise cause a problem with your engine that you try to get fixed via warranty, they can deny your warranty claim for that repair if they determine the problem was caused by your headers. The warranty is still intact and still valid, it just will not cover the cost of those repairs.
sounds about right...thats always what i thought. what if you've got a valve ticking and need to get them adjusted....any way they can blame that on headers?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member

The dealership is always going to try to stick it to you when it comes to fixing a warrantable item. The federal law you should be concerned with is called the Magnuson/Moss Act. This is the law that states that the dealership must prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem. As with anything, there will be dealerships that are cool about it, and ones that are not. Find which ones are cool, and post them up for everyone to see. Then only take you car to those dealerships.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I called my service manager before I ordered my header. He had heard of the AW header b/c one of his mechanics runs the same one on his tC. He said that he was very impressed with the header and that my warranty would not be voided...on my engine or powertrain. He said that they could obviously not warranty anything after the header because of differennt flow characteristics and the fact that I removed a cat, but besides for those parts, sensors ect, behind the header, my warranty would remain in place. He assured me that no reputable dealer would void my warranty over a bolt on that increases the efficiency of the engine and if I ever ran into a pickle with another dealership, just bring my car up to Roseville Toyota (his dealership) and he would take care of me.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No. Search next time, there has been at least 20 threads based on warranties this past year for the xb, xa and tc.

I will say this one last time, no specific mod (aftermarket) will void any warranty unless that particular mod caused an oem (stock) part to fail prematurely or be destroyed in any way, shape or form. However, this will only take into effect if service dealers can make a direct connection with an aftermarket part and the oem part. This will also only void that particular warranty, in some cases just htat particular time. You will have a warranty on the rest of the car.

Searching is your friend. Its the red bottom right beside Memberlist and right under Staff.

Thank you.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Locked.