Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Heat coming from the e-brake? wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Heat coming from the e-brake? wtf?

So I was driving my tC around this morning, nothing too intense but I did do a little bit of hard reving(never hit redline or anything like that though)

When I was on my way home I noticed that there was a considerable amount of heat coming from the base of the E-Brake lever. When I had noticed it I was driving in 5th gear at about 30mph so the engine was at about 2000RPM or lower.

Is this something that I should worry about? or is it somethng that happens when I come close to the redline, not hitting it (which I did once)?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The parking brake mechanism is bolted to the top of the tunnel that the exhaust runs through. It happens.

On my old Honda, the shift linkages were literally about 2" from the pipe. Driving hard on a hot day, the whole shift lever would get hot.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, my console area gets a bit warm after a while too. Especially the little change cup. Coins hold a lot of heat sometimes.

Pretty much normal though, like the doc said, with the exhaust going right under there, you're going to have some heat going up.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="Dr_Isotope"]The parking brake mechanism is bolted to the top of the tunnel that the exhaust runs through. It happens.

Yeah, most stick shift vehicles will have this issue.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't had the issue with the heat from the e-brake area, but when I pull the ebrake handle to park it's pretty high, like it would fail inspection high, and this is a brand new tC too. Anyone have their e-brake need adjustment when getting their car. I'll have to go by the dealer the next day off to have them check it out.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dropzone
I haven't had the issue with the heat from the e-brake area, but when I pull the ebrake handle to park it's pretty high, like it would fail inspection high, and this is a brand new tC too. Anyone have their e-brake need adjustment when getting their car. I'll have to go by the dealer the next day off to have them check it out.
They should be able to adjust it just fine. If you remove a couple of pieces of the center console, you could even do it... but might as well just have the dealer do it.

Mine was on something like 14 or 15 clicks to really engage and it was pretty high. I got a couple of wrenches (there are two nuts on the end of a cable to adjust it there) and now it's at about 5 or 6 clicks.

They can (and eventually should) be adjusted at the rear wheels too. There's an adjustment screw on the inside part of the drum/rotor we have that will also adjust the shoes on the inside of the drum.

I think if you search for brake adjustment, you should get a couple threads with a bit more information though...
Old 06-27-2007, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
Originally Posted by dropzone
They should be able to adjust it just fine. If you remove a couple of pieces of the center console, you could even do it... but might as well just have the dealer do it.

Mine was on something like 14 or 15 clicks to really engage and it was pretty high. I got a couple of wrenches (there are two nuts on the end of a cable to adjust it there) and now it's at about 5 or 6 clicks.

They can (and eventually should) be adjusted at the rear wheels too. There's an adjustment screw on the inside part of the drum/rotor we have that will also adjust the shoes on the inside of the drum.

I think if you search for brake adjustment, you should get a couple threads with a bit more information though...
your first suggestion is bad for your E-brake system "potentially" real bad...

your second suggestion is the correct way to do it.