Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Heat Shield Removal Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Heat Shield Removal Help!!

Ok...So..I removed the 4 screws from the Heat Shield....

Then how do I remove the 02 Sensor??.....
If I DO have to remove it...how do I remove it??

or if I dont have to remove the 02 sensor..How do I get it off??

Muchos Gracias!!!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*BUMP*

Come On someone has to know how to do this!...lol
Old 05-25-2007, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay so you can take off the heat shield without taking the O2 off just simply unplug it and slide the head shield through. If you are looking to take off the O2 sensor just spray some WD40 and let it soak for like 20 minutes and then slowly try to unscrew it and go back and tighten and just keep going back and forth but make sure to use a lot of WD40 or it will strip. I hope thats what you were asking for help wise.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SmooVtC
okay so you can take off the heat shield without taking the O2 off just simply unplug it and slide the head shield through. If you are looking to take off the O2 sensor just spray some WD40 and let it soak for like 20 minutes and then slowly try to unscrew it and go back and tighten and just keep going back and forth but make sure to use a lot of WD40 or it will strip. I hope thats what you were asking for help wise.
Thank you for responding...

So i got the 4 screws out..I wiggled it it wont budge....I unpluged the 02 sensor...

then how do u get the Sheild over the Sensor back though...I wiggled the crap outta it trying to get it off...

Old 05-25-2007, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the heat shiled on the exhaust manifold?

i dont see the problem you are having... its very basic. remove the heat shield (which it appears as you did). spray wd40 or another lube on the sensor, and slowly unscrew it. you can do that, or you can unplug the sensor, leave the sensor in the exhaust manifold, remove the manifold, then remove the o2 sensor with the exhaust manifold off the car. all your call.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

You're kidding right...if not, please slowly put down any wrenches you may be holding and step away from the car!
Old 05-25-2007, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
You're kidding right...if not, please slowly put down any wrenches you may be holding and step away from the car!

Thanks for leaving a Worthless dumb comment...

Much appreciated!
Old 05-25-2007, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
the heat shiled on the exhaust manifold?

i dont see the problem you are having... its very basic. remove the heat shield (which it appears as you did). spray wd40 or another lube on the sensor, and slowly unscrew it. you can do that, or you can unplug the sensor, leave the sensor in the exhaust manifold, remove the manifold, then remove the o2 sensor with the exhaust manifold off the car. all your call.
HUH....if your "read" what I last wrote....

I did Unplug the Sensor...I can NOT get the shield over the back of the sensor to get it off!!!!

I waz asking do I need to force ir off????....I was wiggling it and it won't Budge at all...

Please no more Snart-A$$ comments.....for real!!
Old 05-25-2007, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

why are you getting an attidude with me when i was trying to help you? i can visualize the problem. if you removed all of the bolts from the heat shield, u should have no problem taking it off.

but if your having a problem getting it past the o2 sensor, take the o2 sensor out (meaning un plug it, and remove it from the exhaust manifold), then take the heat shied off.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why are you getting an attidude with me when i was trying to help you? i can visualize the problem. if you removed all of the bolts from the heat shield, u should have no problem taking it off.

but if your having a problem getting it past the o2 sensor, take the o2 sensor out (meaning un plug it, and remove it from the exhaust manifold), then take the heat shied off.
ok..My Bad...That other dude that left that comment ____ed me off...haha

Ok..I thought u were saying I didnt know what I was doing...lol

I get it...so just use WD40 then?....then just screws out like a reg. screw??
Old 05-25-2007, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

correct. make sure the exhaust mainfold is cool, spray wd40 around the o2 sensors bung. let it sit for a little (5-10 mins), then spray it again before you take it off if you wanna be really careful. then remove it like a normal screw. it shouldnt be an issue at all,its very simple.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Just stating the obvious Chuckles...if you're having issues with the heat shield (which is three bolts and a stud with a nut) then maybe you shouldn't be working on your car.

Contrary to what was mentioned...don't dick with trying to undo the O2 sensor as you're just going to do a really good job of rounding it off (but that's just a good guess on my part). Unplug the wire from the O2 sensor...follow the wires from it to the connector and undo it (seems you were at least able to figure this one out)...disconnect the clamp holding the wire to the upper radiator hose (let me know if you need a step-by-step) and then feed the wire through the hole as you pull the heat shield off. Try removing the small stud (you can use a 4 or 5mm socket or the correct Torx head socket but I'm guessing you don't have one) and maybe that'll help you out...

It doesn't get much easier dude...

And for the record, I am saying that it's painfully obvious that you don't know what you're doing.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

milehigh... dont seem like you know much either.

he doesnt have to tamper with the radiator hose at all. and your guess about taking the o2 sensor out was a wrong guess as well. its perfectly safe to remove the o2 sensor from the exhaust manifold, just be gentel with it because it an expensive sensor to replace
Old 05-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

milehigh... dont seem like you know much either.

he doesnt have to tamper with the radiator hose at all. and your guess about taking the o2 sensor out was a wrong guess as well. its perfectly safe to remove the o2 sensor from the exhaust manifold, just be gentel with it because it an expensive sensor to replace
Ahhh...you're the expert. Last I checked, and in every engine shot I've seen, there is a gray clip that holds the O2 sensor wire to the upper radiator hose. Never mentioned anything about removing the hose itself... Let me refresh your memory..."disconnect the clamp holding the wire to the upper radiator hose." I can even hunt down a picture if you really want to go that route.

And O2 sensors are notorious, because of the multiple heat cycling, for getting 'frozen' into the exhaust. If you can avoid removing it I would unless you have an O2 specific socket (and they really do make one)...much easier to leave the O2 sensor in the exhaust and feed its wire through the heat shield. But you can spray WD-40 all you want my friend. Your advice to 'be gentel (sic) with it' would even support my stance that removing it isn't the preferred method...especially in this case.

And let me guess, you pull the motor to change sparkplugs. There's an easy way to do things and a hard way to do things...last I checked I wasn't the one having issues removing a heat shield.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I correct myself, and i read your post wrong so im sorry. I dont consider that a clip... id call it a wire tie, but thats just me. so no need for a picture.

and yeah, i agree, the sensor can be tricky to get out, but if its lubed up and cool, ive never had an issue removing it and reinstalling (on 2az's and other motors)

i dont know why he is removing the head shield, but i would assume to remove the exhaust manifold and install a aftermarket header, which would require removal of the sensor. i think its pointless to remove the heatshield unless you are going to modify the stock exhaust manifold. but again, thats my opinion.

as for spark plugs? why even bring that up? we are tryin to help this guy out. (but for the record, i havent replaced the spark plugs on my 2az, because i have no need too. i will replace them after i get to 70-80k miles, because as you should know, we have very good plugs in the motor from the factory)
Old 05-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Ain't no thing man...mostly just messing with you. And I'd agree about the heat shield removal, although I took off my girlfriend's shield to have it powdercoated.

Fortunately I didn't run into the issues that Tee_Drizzle has.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

its kool man. the only problem i ran into with my header install was removing the lower left nut thats close to the alternator. i actually took the alternator off so i had more room for that nut. but still... not a big deal, loosen the belt, move the alt, and your good to go.

tee_drizzle, what are you removing the heat shield for anyway?
Old 05-25-2007, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Had the same problem with mine. I think the culprit is the 'bolt' (IDK its name) that would only be removed with a Torx socket. I can't seem to find one locally. Don't wanna end up buying a set on eBay. So I just put it back in and just didn't bother taking it out.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just stating the obvious Chuckles...if you're having issues with the heat shield (which is three bolts and a stud with a nut) then maybe you shouldn't be working on your car.

Contrary to what was mentioned...don't dick with trying to undo the O2 sensor as you're just going to do a really good job of rounding it off (but that's just a good guess on my part). Unplug the wire from the O2 sensor...follow the wires from it to the connector and undo it (seems you were at least able to figure this one out)...disconnect the clamp holding the wire to the upper radiator hose (let me know if you need a step-by-step) and then feed the wire through the hole as you pull the heat shield off. Try removing the small stud (you can use a 4 or 5mm socket or the correct Torx head socket but I'm guessing you don't have one) and maybe that'll help you out...

It doesn't get much easier dude...

And for the record, I am saying that it's painfully obvious that you don't know what you're doing.
Wow..u really wanna be a B*tch and start some Sh*t huh???...

Trying to be Mr. Funny guy....by being a Gigantic *****-a$$

why dont u Not comment and leave your Immature butt out of my Threads then..

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2007, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ain't no thing man...mostly just messing with you. And I'd agree about the heat shield removal, although I took off my girlfriend's shield to have it powdercoated.

Fortunately I didn't run into the issues that Tee_Drizzle has.
Whatever MileHigh Douche

Quick Reply: Heat Shield Removal Help!!