Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Heavier flywheel in 07 tCs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nodsetse
Originally Posted by CuRiOuSfIsH
just out of curiosity, but doesnt having the RPM's hang around wear out the clutch more on upshifts?
Wouldn't it makes sense that if the clutch is spinning at close to engine speed, there will be less wear on it than if it's engaged at a speed that's different? If the revs drop much on an upshift and you don't give it enough gas to match rpms, you'll slow down when the clutch is engaged. They've tried to make it so people don't need to "match revs."
I understand what youre saying. I failed to mention that I tend to upshift and release the clutch before the engine speed and transmission speed are met.... so I am almost always 500RPM higher, but 95% of the time I dont dump the clutch. My previous car had the engine speed drop faster...... I guess it's a matter of taking time to get used to it.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, I've heard of lots of people moving from older cars to newer cars, and having to get used to the fact that their revs don't suddenly drop off the face of the earth the instant they hit the clutch.

Just a different feel, I suppose. I don't consider it a bad thing in any way, though.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a 06xB and notice a lot of high idles until I come to a complete stop. Some is emissions I think - it drops faster when it's warmer outside. Try letting off the gas completely before pushing in the clutch when you shift and you may find it feeling a lot different. I notice the throttle responce is smoother if I shift slower otherwise it hesitates and boggs a little when I hit the gas too quickly after shifting.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ yup, our cars work best if just driven casually; makes sense, since that is what our cars were made for.

Of course, if one wants to make it a racing demon, Scion also leaves that option open to you.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyotatech81760
hey i work at a scion dealership. the only things that i have noticed about 07 Tc's are cosmetic. it has different cats to meet emisions. i have seen no flywheel changes. the throttle is still by wire not cable. The only change is the VVT-i starts to open about 400 rpm's earlier. i felt a differnce at first and didnt believe it so i checked with a diagnostic tool compaired to mine and it does. O and has anyone seen the 07 base model it has a glass roof but it doesnt open and it comes with steelies. i got a set of steelies for mine just because i wanted track wheels, but it lloks soo horrible and cheesy its only 14,9 though
That is the spec edition. They remove a ton of features and give you a minimal decrease in price.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

let it break in 1000 miles then complain
Old 10-21-2006, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

let me get this straight... you work at a dealership and you just called the spec edition a base model
Old 10-21-2006, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah i'll get past the 1000 miles then report back on how the clutch feels.. Earlier today I noticed the rpms dropping faster than a few days back.. This car can't make up it's mind.

But do the 07 models have dashpots? All of them have dashpots? Someone? Bueller?
Old 10-22-2006, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
I have a 06xB and notice a lot of high idles until I come to a complete stop. Some is emissions I think - it drops faster when it's warmer outside. Try letting off the gas completely before pushing in the clutch when you shift and you may find it feeling a lot different. I notice the throttle responce is smoother if I shift slower otherwise it hesitates and boggs a little when I hit the gas too quickly after shifting.
I do release the gas completely before stepping into the clutch..... the engine speed still hangs around. Of course it's better than doing fast shifts; I did that a few times and it almost sounded like I was shifting without easing off the throttle. My cousin has a 04 MY xA, and I initally noticed the engine speed hang around in between shifts but it's a lot better than the tC. His car has the traditional throttle cable, but he also has a Perrin crank pulley, which I think may have helped. Did they change the 1NZ over to DBW as well?
Old 10-22-2006, 10:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as I know the xA and xB have the same engine and it is cable to the throttle body. A lot of things can affect shift idle speed probably the most notable is heavy throttle and valve timing - I am not sure how fast the valve timing changes but it could be the thing that affects the rpm the most. Are you accelerating hard when the rpms hang or lightly.