Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Help!! Advice!! Crankshaft key failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Default Help!! Advice!! Crankshaft key failure

Kind of a long story, but I need to figure out the cause of this.

I was about to leave work, backed out, then I lost power steering/engine lights came on so I park it. I was first thinking it was a snapped belt, but the belt was fine and I noticed very dark watery oil on the alternator.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I had the car towed home, removed the belt thinking the alternator had seized, but the pulley still moves freely

I then started checking all pulleys (supercharged) all pulleys move freely, but I knew this was bad news because I had to get to the crank to check it. It wouldn't move clockwise(I didn't force it though), but when I turned counter-clockwise the bolt came loose.

I had noticed oil leaking under my car the day before, I figured it was either the plug gasket, oil pressure sensor, or sandwich plate, but it was the seal.

Oh, btw don't replace your harmonic balancer with a lightweight crank pulley.

Now, to find the cause/solution. Could the alternator seizing cause this, and still move freely? Anyone know what the long coil metal and half circle is from in the 4th pic? I did some searching, and found this happening to people and a possible fix was getting a new key for the shaft, but I'm worried about these other pieces.

Sorry for the long rant, hopefully somebody reads this all.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

moral is dont buy lightweight pulleys ive had 3 fail on me and one damaged the crank i managed to ghetto rid a fix
Old 12-24-2010, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

After more research, I figure the circle cutoff is the key stock, and the spring was in the seal(both pic 4). I am also thinking the dark oil on the alternator could be motor oil leaking out of the seal and being carried on the belt to the alternator(being a different color than what's in the motor confused me).

Last edited by syberspyder; 12-24-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: new info
Old 12-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The woodruff key is not pressed in to the crank for some reason... I found that out when my cranks were missing the front key. Had to use the back key from my spare and put it into the new one. They sell them at Ace hardware for like 13 cents.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hix
The woodruff key is not pressed in to the crank for some reason... I found that out when my cranks were missing the front key. Had to use the back key from my spare and put it into the new one. They sell them at Ace hardware for like 13 cents.
So, the key just rests in the crank keyway? I'm guessing the rounded side fits in the shaft? Back key from your spare?(timing chain gear maybe). LOL at the 13 cent key stock, I had to get a seal from the dealer so I just got the key from them too.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Does anyone know if the front main seal sits flush with the front of the timing chain cover? I looked at the tech diy pulley install pics, and it looks like it's flush, but I figured I'd ask.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes itll sit flush if not... oil will leak seein as oil puddles down near there inside the timing cover
Old 12-28-2010, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

I meant flush as opposed to further in. The gap between the inside of the seal and the crankshaft doesn't seem like much of a seal. I know the pulley fills the gap, but that couldn't be water tight. This will probably be perfectly clear when I put the seal in, I just want to make sure I didn't lose anything when towing the car home.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you might want to just double check with a factory service manual, engine seals are usually pretty specific as far as installation, goes. Your probably good with it flush though.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

I got this all taken care of, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

looks like an agency crank pulley.
Iv had something similar happen to me on a stock crank pulley on a ka24de. stock pulley cracked and destroyed the seal, sending oil flying from the pulley in every direction. It damaged the woodruf key as well as the key way. I ended up getting an unorthadox underdrive pulley to replace the stock one, was about 50bux cheaper than stock replacement if i remember right. Car ended up a few months later flooded out from hurricane ike so i really couldnt find out if the underdrive pulley would hold up. It lasted for atleast 3k miles though.

im just gonna guess but it looks like either thats just a crap crank pulley or belt may have been too tight.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

btw the spring is part of the seal, it keeps the tension on the seal so it holds tight around the crank.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
looks like an agency crank pulley.

im just gonna guess but it looks like either thats just a crap crank pulley or belt may have been too tight.
Yeah, it's the AP lightweight, not sure what caused it to fail(tight belt,bad pulley, bolt not tightened). I put the stock pulley back on.

Originally Posted by crush02342002
btw the spring is part of the seal, it keeps the tension on the seal so it holds tight around the crank.
I realized this and mentioned it in post #3, I had never seen the inside of a case seal, had to find out the hard way.