Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Help with borla exhaust and header

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:41 AM
SL Member

Default Help with borla exhaust and header

Ok so I want to put an aftermarket header on my car but I dont want to be a rasp monster. Any suggestions? I was thinkin maybe megan racing?
Old 04-26-2010, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

None. NO setup will not be raspy unless theres atleast a 30" resonator. A header is not worth it at all IMO.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
SL Member

Maybe I could just put a smaller resonator in my exhaust. I just want it a little louder than what it is now
Old 04-26-2010, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
Scikotics
SL Member

either way man, headers are going to give you rasp. so make sure your exhaust isn't raspy as it is.....or haev a sliencer on it...

and IMO, if you don't mind the little rasp from a header, they are worth it...they give you more hp and is a good mod, as long as you know what you're doing!

do what you want! it's your car!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your going to do headers you should def go with a better brand. Read up on megan, most ppl say its cheap. 4-2-1 headers are better anyway, like DC or Weapon-R. Weapon-R especially makes a good set of headers.
Any header will give you rasp tho... you just have to compensate with resonators. Are you running a cat-back yet? Or anykind of midpipe/axle-back?
Old 04-26-2010, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Weapon-R/Tsudo are the only companies that make a true 4-2-1 header for our cars. Just make sure you get some nice good quality resonators (I would stay away from magnaflow) and if you want a nice high flow cat would help get rid of the rasp.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Really DC isnt 4-2-1? Must be false advertising then

Last edited by Irish_tc_518; 04-26-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

DC is 4-1.

Borla is a good brand. I have a borla exhaust and dc-like header, jvcr. I did notice the rasp at first but after couple weeks you get used to it. I dont hear it anymore and none of my passengers can tell.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just get a new midpipe if you want your exhaust louder. The header will only ruin it.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:46 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Irish_tc_518
If your going to do headers you should def go with a better brand. Read up on megan, most ppl say its cheap. 4-2-1 headers are better anyway, like DC or Weapon-R. Weapon-R especially makes a good set of headers.
Any header will give you rasp tho... you just have to compensate with resonators. Are you running a cat-back yet? Or anykind of midpipe/axle-back?
I have an axle back. I was on youtube watchin exhaust videos and the dc has a TON of rasp. The weapon r runs around 500 doesnt it?
Old 04-27-2010, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ANY header will rasp. End of story.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:48 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCtCtC
Just get a new midpipe if you want your exhaust louder. The header will only ruin it.
Whats a good brand for a midpipe? I just googled it and the prices are pretty different
Old 04-27-2010, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tsudo and Megan are the only two options you have to get the midpipe only.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:20 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCtCtC
Tsudo and Megan are the only two options you have to get the midpipe only.
Whats the difference between the two? I would rather spend 150 for the tsudo but not if there is a reasonable difference
Old 04-27-2010, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the tsudo one is 2.5" and has one resonator in it the megan is 2.35" and has two resonators in it. not much difference if you get headers you'll want to replace the resonators anyway as they are skinny in both.

i have dc headers, 2.5" s-pipe, megan midpipe with 18" OBX resonator and greddy spec elite exhaust. i just added the obx res and it sounds awesome no more rasp.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres a video i got up of my setup, megan midpipe with obx resonator put in it and dc headers, cai, s pipe, greddy spectrum elite exhaust. it still sounds ricey from outside but from inside its very quiet. rasp is gone though so thats great.

Here's the before; my first video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfVQG0mdVZ0

And heres the After; my second video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihn1ux3NCQ0
Old 04-27-2010, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
Scikotics
SL Member

Laminate, yeah it sounds a little raspy in that first vid, but my megan drift spec has rasp to it when i first start up the car and go for a bit, but after a while the rasp dies down and it sounds godly!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:37 AM
SL Member

My girl just bought me a Borla for my bday. Bless her soul. Would be nice if i had a tC to put it on though... lol. Its been in in the shop for 3 weeks now getting the engine replaced. POS Scions, jk, looks like Scion served me lemonade back in 05 as one can tell by the sig. Anyways... This thread got me a little excited bout my car again and all i gotta say is the borla exhausts that ive heard sound meaner than any other exhaust IMO. But once u swap the header u taint it with rasp and destroy its wholesomeness. Even if u band-aid the midpipe full of resonators it still just doesnt sound right IMO. The little hp gained doesnt seem to justify the annoyance of rasp. But its ur car and u should do as u please. Have fun.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:50 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Laminate
heres a video i got up of my setup, megan midpipe with obx resonator put in it and dc headers, cai, s pipe, greddy spectrum elite exhaust. it still sounds ricey from outside but from inside its very quiet. rasp is gone though so thats great.

Here's the before; my first video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfVQG0mdVZ0

And heres the After; my second video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihn1ux3NCQ0

Ill check it out when i get on my laptop..for some reason i cant play it on this computer

Originally Posted by SciMeiji
My girl just bought me a Borla for my bday. Bless her soul. Would be nice if i had a tC to put it on though... lol. Its been in in the shop for 3 weeks now getting the engine replaced. POS Scions, jk, looks like Scion served me lemonade back in 05 as one can tell by the sig. Anyways... This thread got me a little excited bout my car again and all i gotta say is the borla exhausts that ive heard sound meaner than any other exhaust IMO. But once u swap the header u taint it with rasp and destroy its wholesomeness. Even if u band-aid the midpipe full of resonators it still just doesnt sound right IMO. The little hp gained doesnt seem to justify the annoyance of rasp. But its ur car and u should do as u please. Have fun.
yeah i love how the borla isnt ricey. I just want it to be a little deaper. thats why i was thinkin mid pipe maybe. I dunno. All I know is i love my borla
Old 04-29-2010, 01:53 AM
SL Member

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZedxElit...39/cwlsXgXI1cE

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZedxElit...38/1X9SxbjwZcI

this is my car with borla.

Quick Reply: Help with borla exhaust and header