Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Help!! Stripped Head Bolts 2.4 2AZFE engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member

Default Help!! Stripped Head Bolts 2.4 2AZFE engine

I need some advice. I have a 06 Scion with the 2.4L 2AZFE engine. This car has 64k miles on it. Just out of warranty. It developed an oil leak on the front driver side of the engine. Upon close exam it proved to be coming from between the head and block. Upon disassembly I discover the head bolt at that location is stripped. I now suspect other head bolts will be a problem also. I was disturbed to find that many other 2AZFE engines are having the same problem at the same general mileage range with stripped head bolts. Most of the time it is coolant leak but due to stripped head bolts that have let go and no longer can hold the torque value. I do not have the money for a $6000-$8000 dollar repair as being quoted by Toyota.
I have considered insert thread repairs but have no idea if this will work on this engine. I am looking for advice from others that have had this problem and what you did to correct the problem. I can do the work for the most part but TMEsert kit is expensive and I need to know if it will work and hold before spending the money.
Any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member

I don't know much about this engine, I bought my tc a month ago, but I am a machinist, and I work on Jr. drag engines.

My advise is if the stud/bolt is stripped replace it with a stainless steel one, and if the actual block is stripped out, you will need to have a Heli-Coil put in. Which is the type of insert you where describing earlier.

None of these repairs should cost 1000's of dollars. Maybe 10-100 dollar repair, depending on if the gasket needs replacing.

Note that 10-100 dollars is if you do it yourself. An independent mechanic may charge up to 300 or more.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

should have asked scion corp. for warranty work first. they've done out of warranty work for me free of charge. try sears, they've got tools for that.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can definitely DIY. Like the above post stated, the heli-coil isn't that expensive, at most 10-20 bucks for a few coils.

If you were quoted 6-8k to get this fix by Toyota, they probably quoted you a new engine or something. It doesn't cost that much to fix an easy problem.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member

Hey guys i appreciate the advice. We did talk with Scion and they said no way. Toyo was quoting a new block. We can not do this at this time so a home repair is our only option. I am concerned that there is enough material in the block to drill and tap for inserts. Also i am not sure which to use. There are several brands and they range greatly in price. The problem is in the head which is a female thread. The bolts look fine.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i say post this in the f/i section. since they do complete engine tear downs, it may help with experience instead of the bolt on section. g/l
Old 01-10-2010, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ESEMRFOZZ13
i say post this in the f/i section. since they do complete engine tear downs, it may help with experience instead of the bolt on section. g/l
I sorry but i dont know what you mean by f/i section.

Please advise.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ F/I = Force Induction
Old 01-12-2010, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member

There should be plenty of material left, and if not find a really good reputable welder, and fill the hole with aluminum.

Only do this as a last resort. It could distort the block if the welder heats the block too much.

I've done many repairs like this on single cylinder Jr. Drag engines.

Also try a bigger hole, and bigger insert, then modify the head for the larger bolt.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:56 AM

Man I feel for ya. I'm in the same boat and found your post on a Google search. Just do a search for toyota stripped head bolts and you will find others with the same problem too, many,many of us.
Anyway, I sent an email to a guy that made a jig that bolts to the block and another jig will align the drill bit. It seemed to be the way to go but it was around 400 bucks plus the +100 bucks for gaskets and you really should go with new bolts as the threads pitch change under torque. From Toyota it is another +100 bucks. Your head has a good chance of being wraped so add for a mill job.
I did a google for heli-cores and it was 50-60 dollars but you would need to drill straight or , pardon the pun, you're screwed.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

So, what happened to this thread? I'm assuming you made a new one in the F/I section.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178939

I'll see if it's possible to merge the two. I still suggest pulling the motor and letting a machine shop with a properly aligned drill press do the repair. I just finished doing some thread repairs on a turbo, took it to a shop for the one since the bolt was sheared and couldn't be drilled out, so they EDM vaporized the bolt. The other I tried drilling with a hand drill, it went crooked, so I ran it to a friends house with a drill press, got a straight hole and then did the helicoil. Helicoil tap was easy, drilling the bigger hole for it was the hard part.

If there's space and the block is flat, another suggestion might be to use a hand drill stand. if you can get it level, you could probably do a straight hole for the in-block repair, then use the $30 helicoil repair kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Wolfcraft-Attachment-4-Inch-8-Inch-Drills/dp/B000JCIMEA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1263398949&sr=1-5

Not sure what the max torque on the helicoil is though.

Last edited by vettereddie; 01-13-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah, i forgot to mention, the proper tools for doing this without pulling the engine. Drill guide is a must. It should be able to be done without pulling the engine. Just have to be extremely careful.

but once you put the heli-coils in, the threads will be 10x stronger than the original.

Make sure and torque everything properly, and in the right order.

Good Luck!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member

There is a Time-Sert thread repair kit for the head bolts.

http://www.timesert.com/html/toyota.html

G
Old 03-02-2010, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rich vega
There is a Time-Sert thread repair kit for the head bolts.

http://www.timesert.com/html/toyota.html

G
sweet kit