Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Hey I just got pulled over for my HKS exhaust!!! UPDATE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah ive been pulled over twice for modified exhaust. here in florida, if you have anything other than oem look, or sound, you will get pulled over. modifying your exhaust in any way, is a big nono here. and around my area, we have been havnig alot a problems with stupid street racers, so they are starting to enforce it big time.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Went to the state referee today. When I got there I told them I had an appointment for them to check out my exhaust. Gave them my ticket and the told me to go sit inside the waiting room while they check out my car. I wanted to look at how they do it, but they wouldn't let me watch. So I went inside and waited. There were two people who were going to test my car. A funny thing was that they both commented to me that I have a very "nice" car and that the color is "amazing."

But back to the story...

I was in the waiting room for about 10 minutes or so and the guy came back and showed me the readings. The test showed that at 4200 RPM my exhaust was rated at 87 decibels. I was surprised that it was that low. I think it was advertised at 89 decibels. Plus I had the Supercharger, so I thought it would be louder. It was under the legal limit so I was cool. He asked me to sign some stuff and then I was outta there.

He gave me some papers and a sticker to go on the back of my ticket and said that if I ever get pulled over again, I can just show them the paper that my exhaust is under the legal limit. I was happy overall. Now I gotta go to the court house and pay that damn $10 fee. After that, my car is totally legal. No more worries about officers checking under the hood (injen intake is gone) or harrassing me about my exhaust.

There you go guys...
Old 09-15-2006, 01:55 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

That is awesome. Finally someone with official details about the exhuast.

I wonder if they can still get you on the modified exhuast tho. Not the sound , but the fact it isnt stock.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
I wonder if they can still get you on the modified exhaust tho. Not the sound , but the fact it isnt stock.
No. In CA you are allowed to have modified exhausts as long as they meet the 95 dB limit.
Good job TongMan, now don't do that again.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do what? I was a victim of racial profiling...
Old 09-15-2006, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^hahahhaa...you must be asian
Old 09-15-2006, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by TongMan
Do what?
Well, 11-something p.m. and I decided to drive over to my girl's place. It was quiet and there wasn't any other cars around. So around the turn from my house, I decided to gun my car. Wanted to hear the Intake and Exhaust combo...well, turns out it was a bad idea. About 2 blocks ahead of me there was two patrol cars that was in the process of pulling someone over. They probably heard my exhaust cause it was pretty loud too.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is that a crime? gunning your car on an empty street?

I'm really asking...
Old 09-15-2006, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Well, there shouldn't be a law against how fast you accellerate, as long as you don't break traction and/or go over the db limit.

On another note, all these retarded laws is the only thing I hate about Cali, and I really, really hate all these rediculous laws. And it's all because of "that movie". It was "that movie" that got idiots into thinking they're racers and ultimately forced cops to make all these stupid @ss laws.
And what's with the CAI thing? Is your's not street legal or are they outlawed now?
Old 09-15-2006, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

I think u can get nailed for Reckless endangerment
Old 09-15-2006, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

is that a crime? gunning your car on an empty street?

I'm really asking...
Yes it is. I can't find a copy of the municipal code for your town, but most law enforcement agencies would consider revving your an "exhibition of speed".

EDIT: Here is Sacramento muni code regarding exhibitions of speed...

10.34.010 Definitions.
For purposes of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply:
“Preparations” for any street race or reckless driving exhibition include, but are not limited to, any of the following acts done for the purpose of the street race or reckless driving exhibition:
1. One or more motor vehicles or persons have arrived at a predetermined location;
2. One or more persons have gathered on, or adjacent to, a public street or highway;
3. One or more persons have gathered in an offstreet parking facility;
4. One or more persons have impeded the free public use of a public street or highway or offstreet parking facility by acts, words, or physical barriers;
5. One or more vehicles have lined up with engines running;
6. One or more drivers is revving his or her engine or spinning his or her tires; or
7. A person is acting as a race starter.
“Present” means a person is within two hundred (200) feet of the site of a street race or reckless driving exhibition, or within two hundred (200) feet of the site of the preparations for either of these activities.
“Reckless driving exhibition” means any exhibition of reckless driving described in California Vehicle Code section 23103.
“Spectator” means a person who is present at a street race or reckless driving exhibition, or the site of the preparations for either of these activities, for the purpose of viewing, observing, watching, or witnessing either of these activities without regard to the means by which the person arrived.
“Street race” means any motor vehicle speed contest or motor vehicle exhibition of speed defined or described in California Vehicle Code section 23103. (Ord. 2005-031 § 2 (part))
Old 09-15-2006, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

____!
Old 09-15-2006, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Yummy!
Old 09-15-2006, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But I don't think i met the criteria of "street racing" as there is only me present. So how could I be racing. Racing requires at least 2 parties. Who am i racing with?
Old 09-15-2006, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Good point, and also about the exhibition thing. Didn't you say there was nobody (supposedly) around? If there was nobody around, that's not an exhibition.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

But I don't think i met the criteria of "street racing" as there is only me present. So how could I be racing. Racing requires at least 2 parties. Who am i racing with?
It only takes one person for a street race in California (I know, it's lame), thus "One or more drivers is revving his or her engine." as seen above.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Damn, how many times have you been arrested?
Old 09-15-2006, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

^^ Zero (and no moving violations either), knowledge is power... and running out of money for law school.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Knowledge is for suckers. Waiting 'till you need to learn it is the man's way to go.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc2nut4
no to rain on anyones parade but I know in PA they can pull you over for just having an aftermarket exhaust, the exhaust has to be OEM or OEM quality, fit, size, and volume... Pennsylvania has some stupid laws but on the same token they rarely enforce them

But yeah I say that because some of you might want to look into what your state laws, it MIGHT me be the sound requirements but thats not ALL that makes the car "street legal" if you run into a @sshole of a cop he can nail you for an inspection violation in some states..
i got a noise maker ticket.

Quick Reply: Hey I just got pulled over for my HKS exhaust!!! UPDATE!!!