Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Hi all, got an exhaust question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hi all, got an exhaust question.

This is my first post on SL so go easy on me fellas. I've lived in the world of domestics for years and so my experience modding cars is somewhat skewed from what I'm sure you all are used to. Hopefully some of what I know will translate. So anyway, here's the story.

I'm buying my fiance a new '06 tc and I'm looking at all of the options the factory offers. From what I can tell the TRD is a rear section exhaust, not a full system or even what I would call a "cat-back". I can't imagine any sort of large gains in HP or torque, so I'm thinking we'll skip it and get an aftermarket instead.

I've noticed that one or two of you have the Borla exhaust, (a brand I'm familiar with from several projects) which also appears to be a rear section. Have those of you with the Borla experienced any gains? Preferably gains you can back up with a dyno, not just 'seat of the pants' stuff, but I suppose that counts too.

Finally, anyone out there with entire aftermarket exhaust systems? What kind of gains are you getting from what you've got? What do you have?

Any help would be great...oh, and glad to be here.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

megan has a full cat back exhaust that is supposed to give 5-8 whp. axle back exhausts only help with a louder exhaust tone, maybe a 2whp increase if that
Old 09-09-2005, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dubledee
megan has a full cat back exhaust that is supposed to give 5-8 whp. axle back exhausts only help with a louder exhaust tone, maybe a 2whp increase if that
Where did you get your info? A catback should yield anywhere in the range of 6 to10 hp and axlebacks yield up to 5.66hp on the TC. Here is the link if you decide to get skeptical.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80070
Old 09-09-2005, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the cat back from Megan and it feels more responsive. It could be mental, but I could feel the car start pulling more at about 3,000 rpm.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The stock tC muffler is pretty damn restrictive:

So anything that is a straight through design will show some significant, if small, gain.

Magnaflow has a full catback but it's not bolt on. There's cutting and welding involved. It has shone gains of 6-12 whp.

ZPI has a downpipe-back full bolt on exhaust showing the same kind of gains.

Draxas and Creative Compacts also has one.. again.. showing those kinds of gains..

Precision Mufflers has one too - plus you can email them and custom order one and you won't even need to bring the car in as they have a tC and can use that to design an exhaust for you and ship it.
www.precisionmuffler.com

12whp is on a really good day, 6 is probably the lowest gains you'll show for a catback.

The other companies (most brand names minus Magnaflow) are only axlebacks.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by acasanova
Originally Posted by dubledee
Where did you get your info? A catback should yield anywhere in the range of 6 to10 hp and axlebacks yield up to 5.66hp on the TC. Here is the link if you decide to get skeptical.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80070
oh i didnt know that the muffler was that restrictive. sorry i was goin with typical 4 bangers. i dont have a tc
Old 09-09-2005, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Hi all, got an exhaust question.

Originally Posted by Ideapimp
This is my first post on SL so go easy on me fellas. I've lived in the world of domestics for years and so my experience modding cars is somewhat skewed from what I'm sure you all are used to. Hopefully some of what I know will translate. So anyway, here's the story.

I'm buying my fiance a new '06 tc and I'm looking at all of the options the factory offers. From what I can tell the TRD is a rear section exhaust, not a full system or even what I would call a "cat-back". I can't imagine any sort of large gains in HP or torque, so I'm thinking we'll skip it and get an aftermarket instead.

I've noticed that one or two of you have the Borla exhaust, (a brand I'm familiar with from several projects) which also appears to be a rear section. Have those of you with the Borla experienced any gains? Preferably gains you can back up with a dyno, not just 'seat of the pants' stuff, but I suppose that counts too.

Finally, anyone out there with entire aftermarket exhaust systems? What kind of gains are you getting from what you've got? What do you have?

Any help would be great...oh, and glad to be here.

welcome aboard

i'd recommend you look at Draxas, Creative Compacts, and ZPI's exhaust setups. They're full exhausts back to the S-pipe (pipe directly after the exhaust manifold that goes under the oil pan, over the front cross member).
Old 09-09-2005, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

First of all, thanks for the quick responses folks. Looks like I'm doing the right thing by foregoing the TRD and looking for an aftermarket.

However, I'm not seeing a lot of dyno proof up there. Seems like most of these are estimates. That's cool. Just was wondering if anyone had any kind of hard evidence.

Also, no info yet on the Borla. Anyone got one of those suckers?

Lastly, I probably shoulda mentioned but I'm not looking for some coffee can looking exhaust. Something subtle that looks clean, sounds mean (but not obnoxious) and gets some good power is preferable.

Thanks again for those who have responded already. It's always nice when you're on a board with good people instead of one laden with drama.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good man. coffee can's are baaaaaaad. lol

search for "dyno exhaust" and make sure it has search for all terms and i'm sure you will find what you need.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you really want borla, the Creative Compcts exhaust is available with their muffler.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Banned
SL Member
Scinergy

first of all they are all axle back because if they were cat back systems then it would be a compete new exhaust system for the tc since the main cat is on the exhaust manifold and most of them do not come with a new s pipe. I think the borla is the best one for whp and sound
Old 09-09-2005, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the CC, ZPI and Draxxas are all from the S-pipe back and either eliminate the cat or repalce it with a high flow unit. The cat on the exhaust manifold is the pre-cat with the main cat being after the s-pipe underneath the car in front of the resonator.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I was just looking at the ZPI model. Had a little bit of rasp but from what I'm reading some guys installed the resonator and took care of that, made it a hair quieter and lowered the tone just a touch. Sounds pretty cool to me.

Anyone out there have any significant pros/cons on the ZPI setup?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I personally dont like the angled tip, but if thats your thing then go for it.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

this is a great post cuz im looking at getting the Borla as well.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whoops...actually, I don't like angled tips either. All I saw was a video clip, didn't show the tip all that well I suppose. Well, that won't do.

Ok, well back to square one.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check out www.creativecompacts.com . You can customize theirs with a bunch of different options.

direct link: http://creativecompacts.com/Merchant...SciontCExhaust
Old 09-09-2005, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by seminoles68
first of all they are all axle back because if they were cat back systems then it would be a compete new exhaust system for the tc since the main cat is on the exhaust manifold and most of them do not come with a new s pipe. I think the borla is the best one for whp and sound
hahahaha

so they're from our front axles back?
Old 09-09-2005, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
Check out www.creativecompacts.com . You can customize theirs with a bunch of different options.

direct link: http://creativecompacts.com/Merchant...SciontCExhaust
I like this setup and how you're able to select what you want. Can't afford it though.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also a good idea to check a good local muffler shop (NOT MIDAS/MEINEKE) and look into a full custom system. That way you can get the sound you want, and not have a tip that could fire a cantaloupe out it

Quick Reply: Hi all, got an exhaust question.