Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

High Flow S-pipe/downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's true but the same can be said for a lot of things. The exhaust could produce different power on quite a few different mods. Alone your complete exhaust design could produce 15whp, then if you add the K&N, it might only increase 2-3 more. Now say at that point you subtract the 6whp the K&N produces alone, you've just under cut your exhaust to 12whp. From a marketing standpoint, the 15whp number is more appealling and a lot of people might not get the K&N CAI and could experience totally different numbers.

The example that comes to mind is the Alphawerks 60mm throttle body. They did a dyno with and without the TB in combo with I/H/E. The difference between the two dynos was 1HP and 1.2TQ. Now everyone's thinking "Damn that TB only produces 1HP, forget that POS", now if they dyno'd it by itself it might produce 4-5HP (or more) in a stock setup and might seem more worth it.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
That's true but the same can be said for a lot of things. The exhaust could produce different power on quite a few different mods. Alone your complete exhaust design could produce 15whp, then if you add the K&N, it might only increase 2-3 more. Now say at that point you subtract the 6whp the K&N produces alone, you've just under cut your exhaust to 12whp. From a marketing standpoint, the 15whp number is more appealling and a lot of people might not get the K&N CAI and could experience totally different numbers.

The example that comes to mind is the Alphawerks 60mm throttle body. They did a dyno with and without the TB in combo with I/H/E. The difference between the two dynos was 1HP and 1.2TQ. Now everyone's thinking "Damn that TB only produces 1HP, forget that POS", now if they dyno'd it by itself it might produce 4-5HP (or more) in a stock setup and might seem more worth it.
excellent points and that's really the way you should market.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

This is all very nice but if you guys want a nice sounding exhaust and want it fast and that shows results get an apexi n1 n/a universal muffler go to super tuning and ask for koko have him make you the full exhaust kit using this muffler and you will gain some hp fast and easy and not to mention it sounds great. Well the only difference is that I got a forced induction but I can honestly say that ever since I got my exhaust done it sounds sooooo good and my car has way more torque on higher rpm's totally worth it and I know coco can make you the exhaust for about 150 to 2 bills just bring your muffler or get it from him he hooks it up. PM me for his information.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it koko or coco? I wouldn't want to insult the guy. j/k

The key here is you're running a turbo, I heard the Apexi N1's sound like wet farts if you're N/A. Is this the case?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

the apexi N!'s for some reason sound way better with turbo's cuz with other wise it will sound very loud and like he said above like a wet fart.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tc Luis
the apexi N!'s for some reason sound way better with turbo's cuz with other wise it will sound very loud and like he said above like a wet fart.
hrm thats weird. the N1 sounds amazing on an na 95 supra and a 91 na 240sx.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

hmmmm
Old 04-06-2005, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

the reason i said it sounded loud without turbo was cuz i knoe a couple of people that have gotten the apexi n1 setup on there tc n it was very loud high pitched but maybe it sounds better on some cars...i have heard this on my friends turbo tc though n it sounds amazing, its quite but still has a rumble to it
Old 04-07-2005, 08:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed a little bit of a power loss in the lower RPMS from the megan header, does anyone know if this mod will clear up that problem?
Old 04-07-2005, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
I noticed a little bit of a power loss in the lower RPMS from the megan header, does anyone know if this mod will clear up that problem?
doubt it, as I understand it, the reason that you loose the low end power is because of loss in back pressure. This mod should lower the backpressure even more possible making this problem worse. get the supercharger or turbo setup on your car and the problem should be solved.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
To my understaning, I think its going to depend on whether or not the diameter of the new s-pipe allows for a greater velocity or volume of air-flow over the stock diameter. The wider diameter replacement s-pipe is more then likely less restrictive than stock and will allow for a greater volume of air to pass through, but if it does so at a loss of flow velocity over stock then you'll likely see a more pronounced loss down low w/ even further gains up top. However, if the air-flow velocity of the new s-pipe is greater then that of stock, then yes, it will make up for some of that loss and still provide nice gains across the entire powerband. However, this is all assuming your NA, because when you go FI, bigger is better, plain and simple. The maximum volume is what's is going to count then, since the turbo or super will be more then able to keep velocity up. Also, keep in mind, everything behind the s-pipe is going to be a factor, as well.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hello,

I saw alot of posts here for a full exhaust and intake setup. For an FYI I wanted to post the dyno and the webpage for the soundclips and dyno videos...

DYNO: +24whp and +19lbs/tq (w/o resetting ECU)
-Alphawerks Throttle Body
-Alphawerks Short-Ram Intake
-Alphawerks Header
-Alphawerks Cat-back Exhaust

DYNO VIDEO AND SOUND CLIPS:
http://www.alphawerks.com/dyno/scion_tC_dyno.htm
Old 04-07-2005, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nexusindustry
Hello,

I saw alot of posts here for a full exhaust and intake setup. For an FYI I wanted to post the dyno and the webpage for the soundclips and dyno videos...

DYNO: +24whp and +19lbs/tq (w/o resetting ECU)
-Alphawerks Throttle Body
-Alphawerks Short-Ram Intake
-Alphawerks Header
-Alphawerks Cat-back Exhaust
Is that w/ the stock s-pipe or does your exhaust or header come w/ a replacement s-pipe? I couldnt find that information on the Alphawerks' website. Impressive numbers regardless.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is with the stock s-pipe. The factory s-pipe is pretty restriction free and so to get a good gain out of it we have to do a lot of testing. This is a warning to all those who just want to throw any pipe on there. There are two very difficult angles in that pipe. So beware of wasting $. But we are almost done with our S-pipe which should be ready next week.