Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Hmm problems accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hmm problems accelerating

Im gonna take the car to the dealer tomorrow to have a problem checked out, I tried searching here to see if anyone has had similar problems, but didnt come up with much. I just noticed this a week ago more or less, but has gotten real bad the last or two. Basically when driving usually in third gear (sometimes second gear, havnt tried higher gears cause of damn miami traffic), when i go WOT the car will rev up normally till around 4k RPM where it will all of a sudden stop accelerating momentarily, then kick up again, and do that over and over again. It is very very annoying, I noticed this on my way from work yesterday when I was going on the highway and was about 3/4 throttle and it would not want to advance past 4k rpm, after around 15 seconds it started to advance A LITTLE, but it was doing that on/off crap. Anyone have any ideas? Or what should I expect?

Things that might help the diagnosis: Engine has fresh oil (mobil 1 synthetic) 1400 miles ago, the car has 14300 Miles on the Odo. No weird lights are on the dashboard. No CEL, car revs just fine in idle. Car has pretty clean intake (short ram), has a flowmaster muffler, and a short shifter, and a grounding kit. Doesnt seem electrical, kinda feels like the timing is pulled on purpose by the car till I let off the car to about 1/2 throttle and accelerate normal, only on heavy accelerating does this happen. :-/ Any ideas?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

It sounds like when your car hits open loop, it gets a bit wacky...

I'm sure they'll take a look at your MAF sensor... It may be malfunctioning, as well as possible vacuum leaks... Just make sure the situation is consistently recreatable, as the techs may want to go for a ride with you to get a good handle on the problem.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed you have a aftermarket intake installed. I had this same problem on a differnt car of mine.

It turned out it was the cap from my intake that goes on the very end of the filter, it seems that it slipped off, flew up the intake and was actually hitting my throttle body, but only at 3/4 or more throttle.

My mechanic couldn't belive it when he found it, he said it might have actually been flipping around causing the engine to become starved for air.

Dont know if that's your problem or not, but good luck!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Z0RACK
I noticed you have a aftermarket intake installed. I had this same problem on a differnt car of mine.

It turned out it was the cap from my intake that goes on the very end of the filter, it seems that it slipped off, flew up the intake and was actually hitting my throttle body, but only at 3/4 or more throttle.

My mechanic couldn't belive it when he found it, he said it might have actually been flipping around causing the engine to become starved for air.

Dont know if that's your problem or not, but good luck!
Yeah, I was gonna swap out the intake tonight before I took it to the dealer to avoid problems. Ill take a look inside the TB to see maybe something is up. The car acts real screwy, I might take a video so you can see.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kenshin

Yeah, I was gonna swap out the intake tonight before I took it to the dealer to avoid problems. Ill take a look inside the TB to see maybe something is up. The car acts real screwy, I might take a video so you can see.

It's a good start and it's cheap. More than likely you'll have to hook it up to the diganostic computer. I have heard of shops doing this for free sometimes, so you might wana call around and see if anybody will do it. If the computer isn't coming up with any trouble codes.

I would think it would have to be something mechanical.

Does this happen while the car is in park/neutral too? Or just while it's driving?
Old 08-26-2006, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I solved my own problem when I popped open the hood. The intake filter on my short ram was banging against the chasis which literally cracked it in half. Thus there was basically no filter to my intake, which was making my maf go all screwy. I threw in my old stock intake and it fixed it right away. Now I just gotta get another intake hehe .
Old 08-26-2006, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kenshin
Well I solved my own problem when I popped open the hood. The intake filter on my short ram was banging against the chasis which literally cracked it in half. Thus there was basically no filter to my intake, which was making my maf go all screwy. I threw in my old stock intake and it fixed it right away. Now I just gotta get another intake hehe .

Man that sucks. What kind of intake was it?

At least it was quick and easy to fix ;).
Old 08-27-2006, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Custom build intake that I had thrown together, worked real well for about a year. Oh well, the engine is quieter now lol.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah my injen SR didnt fit too good....i duck taped a portion of the fender inside to provide cushion, it saved my intake filter....

glad to hear its not something screwy
Old 08-27-2006, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

duck tape seems ghetto...lol
Old 08-27-2006, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member

Maybe MAF, i've seen it happen to alot of cars... they kinda struggle at WOT. Cleaning MAF fixed that.

or

Ive seen vaccume leaks cause that to.. but you said it revs so. guess that scratches that.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My TC acts funny on accelerating as well because Ive had a few intakes which may got some oils on the MAF sensor. Whats the best way to clean the MAF? What kinda spray?
Old 09-22-2006, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ANYBODY???
Old 09-22-2006, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Electronic board cleaner -Get it at radio shack. This should clean it up good.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah auto places have that stuff as well. Some sensor safe crap. I had a whole bunch of oil on my MAF and after cleaning it it was still the same...