Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

HOMEMADE HORSEPOWER (Intake stuff) (Very cheap)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Just one of the steps required to get a ULEV or higher rating. Be glad we only have 2 cats-- for a SULEV rating, there would likely be three.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Harman
Agree. Charcoal or active carbon all have its life span, which is the amount of stuff it can absorb before rendered into something useless. Unless we change the filter, for instace, every 5k miles? It will quickly become saturated after a short while. If it is indeed a charcoal, life span will be even shorter. I still can't see the point of putting charcoal filter.
yes most of the time activated carbon only works at full strength for 3-4 days before it starts to stop working. so i really cant see the point of it doing much. im sure if you still wanted a carbon filter you could put a small one in the PVC cap thats on the intake tube. i thought there was a rebreather on the other side of that capped area. i havent seen the tc engine in a while. but we might be doing this to my friends car later today.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="Dr_Isotope"]Just one of the steps required to get a ULEV or higher r

Doc, you did a bunch if stuff to your intake didn't you? You really need to detail everything you did.

I have little interest in getting a "CAI" intake until someone gives me a good/valid reason to ...good to see lo bux on SL sharing his cynical knowledge (and I mean that in the best way)... so I've been thinking about what I can do with the stock box to free up some airflow.

K&N filter arrived over the weekend (I sware it's louder now).

I'm going to investigate the Doc's stock CAI piping - I like that idea - I want to try and find a way down to the front lower grill (No can do with the scope as I have 55w fogs heating up the air nicely in them), and maybe add some sort of s-bend so water has little or no chance of getting up there.

But I also looked at the bit that both He and this threads starter removed.

Resonator? Charcoal filter ? Does anyone know what it actually is, what it adds if you remove it and if there are any downsides?

Awesome work by all.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow lo_bux_racer you sound a little mad about living in cali hahaha
Old 09-13-2005, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

car/cop wise, we have the right to be
Old 09-13-2005, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aarontrini85
wow lo_bux_racer you sound a little mad about living in cali hahaha
Sort of. Most everything else is pretty good (OK, the gun laws suck too, but that's another story). It seems bizarre to me that the biggest market, and indeed the birthplace of hot rods and highly custom cars would be so impossible to deal with for simple mods.

I have long maintained they should eliminate the visual inspection process and just go with a tailpipe inspection, but that would mean all the evap crap would get tossed. So, why not sell smog credits? Make sure the car passes a tailpipe inspection and has an evap system, then charge a premium for a visually non-compliant car that otherwise meets the performance specifications? Wait, that would generate revenue for the state, AND be logical. Can't do that...
Old 09-14-2005, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GeoffSFAs10
Originally Posted by Harman
Agree. Charcoal or active carbon all have its life span, which is the amount of stuff it can absorb before rendered into something useless. Unless we change the filter, for instace, every 5k miles? It will quickly become saturated after a short while. If it is indeed a charcoal, life span will be even shorter. I still can't see the point of putting charcoal filter.
yes most of the time activated carbon only works at full strength for 3-4 days before it starts to stop working. so i really cant see the point of it doing much. im sure if you still wanted a carbon filter you could put a small one in the PVC cap thats on the intake tube. i thought there was a rebreather on the other side of that capped area. i havent seen the tc engine in a while. but we might be doing this to my friends car later today.
You guys are both misunderstanding one of the important features of how EVAP systems work. They ALL draw fresh air through the carbon filters to regenerate. The carbon acts like a check valve, so the HC is not allowed to escape to atmosphere without going through the engine first. All EVAP systems have used this principle ever since they first showed up because, as you so rightly stated, the activated carbon will quickly saturate and become useless. Did you know there is a prefilter on every carbon canister out there, and that most manufacturers used to have service intervals for them? This thing does exactly what Toyco wanted it to do for them: it gave the configuration a ULEV rating, and it will continue to do this for many years as long as you pull your intake air through the charcoal filter.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hmmm this whole cutting the stock intake box thing seems a bit sketch to me....