Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

How loud is your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How loud is your engine?

So like a month ago I noticed my engine was louder than it should be. Before that, it was dead silent. But now I can hear the valves and chain really bad, and on top of that, there is a chirrping/whistling noise that gets louder as I accerlerate/slows down.

My car is only 40k and a 07 model, a mech at toyota dealer said its normal, I don't think so, I believe there is something wrong with it, it sounds a little abnormal.

So ya..I tried going to another toyota but the guy was an a-s-s wasnt willing to help so I left.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know this is a stupid question, but have you checked your oil levels?... Low oil levels will cause strange sounds...
Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the xD engine in general is pretty loud. my car has 4.5k miles and its louder than my tC engine at 20k miles...

obviously the engine will get louder as it gets older, and toyota does have a reputation for making engines with lots of valvetrain noise.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my still sound nice lol
Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there were people with the tC that has a belt tensioner go bad, that could also cause noise that sounds like engine noise. whirring, higher frequency noises with revving the engine.

check the belt tensioner and pulley. Get yourself a mechanic stethoscope and listen around where the noise is coming from. Anyone should have this! excellent.

You can find it at harbor freight if you have one near you
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41966
Old 02-04-2009, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oil was changed..so its not the oil level..

my friend thought it was something around the belt and pulley..so maybe thats it.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
the xD engine in general is pretty loud. my car has 4.5k miles and its louder than my tC engine at 20k miles...

obviously the engine will get louder as it gets older, and toyota does have a reputation for making engines with lots of valvetrain noise.
Ehh I can't accept that, I bought the car perfectly fine few month back, and it just start doing it. And it only have 44k atm...
Old 02-04-2009, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also the oil was down 1 quart before I changed it....what could cause it to burn so fast..I changed within 3000 miles

mobil one
Old 02-04-2009, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe you need to check the tensioner like i posted
Old 02-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vince2133
Also the oil was down 1 quart before I changed it....what could cause it to burn so fast..I changed within 3000 miles

mobil one

did u measure your oil after u drained it? becaus eif so for some reason its always 1 quart lower when i take my oil out but its always registering full on dip stick =] dont forget you should have also measure the oil that was in the oil filter haha thats prob 3/4 of a quart or half idk
Old 02-15-2009, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

W/e the problem is it has nothing to do with oil. My car has been making the same whistling noise and loud idle sounds for at least 40k miles(86k now). I've talked to a mechanic and he said it was just my CAI, which I didn't believe. I've kind of just had to get used to it.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea the loud chik chick noise and whistling is all normal it happens faster when u add a intake and will never go away...its a toyota thing
Old 02-16-2009, 01:10 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we need a video!
Old 02-16-2009, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I think your imagining things a lil. You can hear the cams overlapping. You dont always here things at first. You sound like you bought the car used. So maybe you just started payign attention more and are now pickign up noises.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by EpicTc
W/e the problem is it has nothing to do with oil. My car has been making the same whistling noise and loud idle sounds for at least 40k miles(86k now). I've talked to a mechanic and he said it was just my CAI, which I didn't believe. I've kind of just had to get used to it.
Then lets put stock air box back and check it in this case...not hard

I am really good at hearing noises..and I did not hear the whistling noise till after I had a little crash. Same with the engine block noise..

when I bought the car it was dead quiet....so its not "im just hearing things"

and I have an Injen CAI

so anyone else with that CAI and hear the whistling noise then you guys might be right on that one..I might put the stock box back on to test..but I really don't hear it from the CAI, its coming from the pulley side.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:38 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vince2133
Originally Posted by EpicTc
Then lets put stock air box back and check it in this case...not hard

I am really good at hearing noises..and I did not hear the whistling noise till after I had a little crash. Same with the engine block noise..

when I bought the car it was dead quiet....so its not "im just hearing things"

and I have an Injen CAI

so anyone else with that CAI and hear the whistling noise then you guys might be right on that one..I might put the stock box back on to test..but I really don't hear it from the CAI, its coming from the pulley side.

like i said in my previous post...the ticking sound is from inbtake, it causes the evap sensor to get annoying like that...and once its like that not matter if u put stock back on itll stay like that....and the soudns from the pulley side range from being normal on our engines to bad belttensioners
Old 02-16-2009, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Yep Toyota valve noise is famous.......in colder weather it is even more noticable.....check your belt and the tensioner for noise in that area,if belt is loose or worn it can get noisy fast.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it might be one of the pulleys wearing out... my tc started making horrible noise last week, which turned out to be the water pump - the pulley was actually wobbling! and of course wouldnt you know that the night before I took it in for warranty service a spring broke loose from the clutch pressure plate too.

needless to say the last few weeks have not been kind to me lol...
Old 02-17-2009, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Shaka_Z
it might be one of the pulleys wearing out... my tc started making horrible noise last week, which turned out to be the water pump - the pulley was actually wobbling! and of course wouldnt you know that the night before I took it in for warranty service a spring broke loose from the clutch pressure plate too.

needless to say the last few weeks have not been kind to me lol...
how many miles are on your tC, and you didn't put aftermarket pulleys on?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a touch over 70k miles... I was actually surprised about the pump - they are supposed to last longer than that. and no I am running the stock pulleys. my only mods so far are suspension, SS brake and clutch lines etc.

as for the clutch, I havent been in to the dealer to see it yet, but from what they tell me the disk itself is fine, but the flywheel has hotspots from the busted spring. what really irks me is that while they had the pump replaced within 2 hours of my dropping off the car thursday morning, they didnt bother to see about the shifting problem that turned out to be the clutch until the end of the day on friday. ended up wasting the entire weekend that my stage 2 clutch and 12lb flywheel could have spent traveling from dezod, simply because I had no idea what the issue was until it was too late to order and have them shipped before the weekend. now I will be lucky if I get the parts before friday this week.

because the clutch was merely unusually stiff and wouldnt disengage until pumped repeatedly, I thought it was a hydraulic issue, as the clutch was grabbing perfectly fine with no signs of slippage or other undue wear.

what a debacle. last time I ever take the car to the dealer unless it is something I absolutely KNOW is covered by what's left of my extended warranty.

Quick Reply: How loud is your engine?