Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

How to make tC faster when can't afford Boost :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:18 AM
SL Member

Default How to make tC faster when can't afford Boost :(

Hey guys, I'm broke n can't afford a Turbo kit for my automatic 2005 tC (like most ppl) so hmmm what to do to make it faster? So far i got a TRD CAI and Weapon R Header. (still feels slow) looking to get Agency Power Crank Pulley
and heard about a Engine Torque Damper that helps improve acceleration. After market exhausts don't do crap but make noise so I'll pass on them.

Anything else I can do??

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-02-2018 at 11:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Crank pulley and poly mounts. Cheap.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Lightweight pullies are a bad idea and will net you no measurable performance gain. The long term negative effects have been discussed billion times on here and there are links to reputable sources like ATI, Dinan, etc in some of those threads, so I wont start that argument here. And no one has yet been able to show REAL improvements on track times with one.. aka multiple example runs before and after with consistnt results. A lightweight flywheel is a much more engine friendly mod and will have about 10 times the effect on rev matching, etc as a crank pulley.

CAI does just about nothing.. mainly because our stock intake is pretty well engineered to begin with. Header... small gain, but very little. Tq damper only helps with getting off the line a bit, and allows a little less give when you get back into it after shifting... but, they are basically a poor bandaid for something that is only a problem when really racing. Stock motor mounts are soft to reduce cabin vibration. A tq damper attaches the engine to the firewall basically and transmits it all to the rest of the vehicle. A better choice is stiff motor mounts that reduce engine movement while transmitting more of that energy to portions of he chasis that are further from the engine compartment.

But in any case, there is no cheap and easy way to make this car faster. Spend your money on suspension where you can make big differences for much less ;) You can make your tC handle pretty well for $1000 or so.. including tires. Of course, you need to do research, since the majority of springs out there are focused on looks and p!$$ in the face of performance.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

poly mounts aren't worth it on an auto. just do the lightweight pulley, I had one and it helped. I mean that header is gonna give you more power for the money than anything else

I don't understand why people say a header/intake/exhaust/pulley won't do anything lol. all together they ARE noticeable
Old 09-30-2009, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Steventc07
poly mounts aren't worth it on an auto. just do the lightweight pulley, I had one and it helped. I mean that header is gonna give you more power for the money than anything else

I don't understand why people say a header/intake won't do anything lol.

Because the best reliable info (and that was even from those trying to sell parts) was able to show 15hp from the best combo of IHE they could muster.. and yet people still show little time improvment. Butt dyno's are easilly fooled by loud noises. These arguments are as old as these forums and the whole community has come to accept the fact that there is little to be gained in overall power curve (peak hp is a useless indicator and neglects the power curve) by these mods.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^I agree that most people think it is faster because they can actually hear the car and think it is going faster than it was before the exhaust upgrade.

It really has been dyno proven on here that it will give you at the most 15hp which really isn't anything.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude, i'm going to buy another tsudo header + S-pipe and Injen Intake just to prove it does lol

I guess I dropped .3 sec off my 1/8 mile by magic then
Old 09-30-2009, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

basically...you do nothing but save until you can afford a turbo kit, or a faster car.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what they're trying to say is

you're basically spending a couple thousand on parts that will give you "better throttle response"

like engifineer said, spend money on suspension and make the car handle better. that's the first thing i did, and i'll never regret it.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Steventc07
dude, i'm going to buy another tsudo header + S-pipe and Injen Intake just to prove it does lol

I guess I dropped .3 sec off my 1/8 mile by magic then
No, you learned to drive better. Those parts did not make you that much faster in 1/8th mile.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:27 AM
SL Member

wasting money on suspension will make me go faster? i jus wana go faster. who cares about turning corners. ok so i gata boost up to go faster. i hear turbo kits are crap like zpi stage 0 n ebay kits. which is the best one? greddy? turboknetics?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about a short shifter?
it wont necessarily make your car faster but you'll get into your gear quicker
Old 09-30-2009, 01:33 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Weight reduction (start with yourself).
Old 09-30-2009, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by demer11
wasting money on suspension will make me go faster? i jus wana go faster. who cares about turning corners. ok so i gata boost up to go faster. i hear turbo kits are crap like zpi stage 0 n ebay kits. which is the best one? greddy? turboknetics?

You have a lot of reading to do, everybody has their opinion or what kit is better.

There are a bunch of kits out, ptuning, Dezod, Descendant, turbnetics, greddy.

My suggestion search the FI section and READ
Old 09-30-2009, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well.. some of us prefer all around performance rather than being able to go fast in a straight line. And my tC is "faster" than many cars with more power through a course that has curves on it ;) To each his own though if you just like going straight.

It was ZPI's business itself that was more of the issue, not the kits themselves from what I recall. ZPI has been out of business for years, although there are still a few used kits out there.

Dezod is very popular these days as well and has great customer service.

But you need to use the search feature for that, since there are years worth of threads on all the kits out there already.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by demer11
we all want to go fast, but 250+whp with stock suspension? you're asking for it but hey do what you want it's your car. i'd just hate to see another tC flipped over on the side of the road.

just be careful!!
Old 09-30-2009, 01:49 AM
SL Member

dam u guys r ready to give me the lethal injection once i mention which is the best turbo kit lol. (yea yea search _____!)maybe i jumped the gun. this was a thread for ppl without cash 4 a kit. so for the guys who mentioned a flywheel n short shifter, those are available for a automatic car? i thought those were only for manual? if so wat r the gains?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude Hamster power! Im telling you its the next thing to hit the world. Forget hydrogen power. Or get a leafblower and attach it to your intake.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No you cant get those for an auto, you can upgrade the trans but that is like $700 and is not worth it. You honestly will never be that fast with an auto. They can only hold like 250 hp safely if that.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
No, you learned to drive better. Those parts did not make you that much faster in 1/8th mile.
right cause my 60 ft times were still about the same but i had a higher trap speed..... lol you don't learn how to shift better to the point where you can gain .3 sec, unless I was REALLY shifting bad before lol. which i wasnt

Quick Reply: How to make tC faster when can't afford Boost :(