Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

How to remove rev hang on manual first gen tC's!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 09:59 PM
SL Member

Default How to remove rev hang on manual first gen tC's!

Hi, new to this forum but figured I'd post about a way I found to remove the rev hang programmed into the ECU and have fully linear throttle control.

I took this solution from this post here for second gen tC's, which is simply to disconnect the vehicle speed sensor pin going to the ECU:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...al-tcs-239970/

Turns out this solution also applies to first gens as well! I have an '08, used the wiring diagram from an '07, but this should apply to any manual tC, and I wouldn't be surprised if it worked on other manual 2AZ and drive by wire Toyotas.
You will lose cruise control by doing this (unless you wire in a switch to control it like I did), and generate a P0500 speed sensor code, but aside from that, everything else works perfectly. As mentioned in the other post, the ECU will default to linear throttle control instead of changing it via vehicle speed.

Below are the wiring diagrams I used, the ECU gets its speed from the gauge cluster, which in turn gets it from the ABS module.

^ Connector E5, pin 8 is the vehicle speed pin on the ECU side (should be a purple wire)

^ Location of ECU connector

^ Connectors in driver's footwell under plastic panel. I cut the wire going to connector 1C, pin 8 (should be a blue wire), which comes from the gauge cluster and goes to this connector block.

^ Speed sensor wire going from cluster to ECU

^ My solution: a switch to control the rev hang!
I cut the wire on the driver's side (above, disconnected 1C, pin 8 ) and wired in a switch so I can toggle between either having cruise control, or removing the rev hang. If you want to try this out before cutting any wiring up, you can simply disconnect connector 1C (be warned you'll lose your fuel gauge, headlights, and a few other things).

Hope this helps anyone else out there frustrated by the rev hang on our cars. Obviously, as mentioned in the other post, do this at your own risk.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's a reason why Toyota spent MILLIONS upon millions of dollars paying engineers to design their engine's to have "rev time". How many millions upon millions of $$$ have you spent to determine Toyota corporation is wrong?