Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

HP suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HP suggestions!

Ok guys maybe you can help me. I have a list here of what I need for my ride but I want to nkow what sound the best and what adds more power.

I already have suspension covered. H&R Coil overs w/ greddy strut tower bars and stop tech stage 2 big breaks.

I need..

CAI preferably short ram.
Headers
Exhaust
Lighter pullys
Lighter fly wheel
lighter crankshaft

any other HP add ons that wont interfere w/ TRD supercharger.

Any suggestions? It would be great thans!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By "wont interfere with s/c" do you mean you're getting one? B/c say good by to your CAI if you are. At least as a short ram. Some of the CAI pipes can be cut/fitted to the supercharger intake, but none are made for it that I'm aware of.

Header and exhaust will be kind of tricky - at least to get a good sound. If you replace the header, plan on having a resonator or two installed to quiet it down a bit. I'm a fan of the MMW combo... or the Tsudo/Mazzuri ones, since they appear to be the same thing.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

header and full exhaust are the only things on that list that make power or free it up to a noticeable amount. And for the money and the actuall, real life power you get, I find them to be very poor as far as cost/gain.

CAI makes no noticeable power.. short ram just sucks hotter air in than stock (worse in other words).

Lighter flywheel, pullies, etc make ZERO power. They aid in acceleration to some degree due to a lower moment of inertia (and this very fact is why inertial dynos read higher.. incorrectly with them... inertial dynos are a poor power measurement). But a flywheel (or any rotating object) stores energy, so you get some of that back every time you try to slow the car down, drop revs, etc. So overall you gain no power from them. But, if you must have one, and want a safe, larger effect, go with the flywheel.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was thinking about the

http://www.dezod.com/pd_competition_...l.cfm?OID=2211

and the

http://www.dezod.com/pd_tanabe_medal...c.cfm?OID=2207

I also am the maker of the Fusion Hood so I would have alot cooler air directed towards the SR CAI. I was thinking MMW for that also.

http://weapon-r.com/english/index.ph...8446m4u9j1b9h5

And then eventually I would get my cylinders board just under as far as I can go so that there are no mishaps.

If I dont do all this I would go with a Turbo but don't know where to begin because I hear the Turbos can really FCK up the whole car.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You are looking at a LOT of money to do anything with the block like you mention.

To bore our block, you will have to have it re-sleeved first. At that point I have heard (from golden eagle if I recall correctly) that you can bump 2.6L, but I have yet to see anyone do it and test it to see how it comes out. But you cant bore our block out any further than it is without doing all of that. Then you have to worry about all the other stuff (tuning for example) to make it run right.

Now dont get me wrong, I would like to, at some point, do a complete NA build on this motor including sleeving, boring, high comp pistons, custom head, fuel mgmt, etc etc. But I would go into it knowing I will spend at least twice (probably closer to 3 times) the amount I would to get the same relative power using forced induction.

And done correctly and within limits you can run FI without a terrible amount of strain on this block. Keep it under 8 psi and spend the money to do it right.. .along with maintaining it correctly, and you should be ok. Personally, I dont want a fwd with more power than that anyway.. just crappy for regular driving, and worse for autox (I a not a big straight line racer at all). If I boost this car, it will probably be at around 6psi and no more. If I want a real fast car, I will buy a car that can handle a built small block chevy and run all the na power I can handle :D

But you have zero need for a comp clutch on stock power. That would just be a waste if you drive the car correctly. And I am not sure of the idea behind buying a short ram (sucks hotter air than stock) then just trying to buy a vented hood to attempt at getting cooler air to it. First... you were better off stock to begin with (it was free). Second, heat travels upwards, so unless you have a true ram system and are moving down the road, you are still submerging the filter in warm air. If it is in CAI form, the hood will do nothing either. Unless you just like the looks of the hood. But really, dont buy a CAI or SRI for power gains. The sound may fool some, but in all reality you are not getting anything out of it. If you like the looks and sound of them, then that is cool... go for it.

If you want to improve at all on the stock intake (And not heatsoak like a metal tube in the engine bay :D ) then go to yoursciontc.com (or here as well I believe) and look up the G.F.I . It actually does address what an aftermarket intake should, although still no stellar gain from it. But still cheaper.