Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Hydrolock with Injen CAI

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

got this from the AEM web page...i know it isnt injen, but it should give you a good idea. I have the injen and i really wouldnt worry too much about it man. just dont go drivin around where there's any deep water and you should be good.

The AEM Bypass Valve protects the engine from ingesting water and hydro-locking if the filter becomes submerged in water. Hydro locking occurs when the end of the inlet pipe is submerged in water and the water is sucked into the engine. Driving the vehicle in rainy conditions is not enough to cause a problem unless the vehicle submerges enough that the inlet end of the pipe is immersed in water. Rain impingement on the filter will not cause a hydro lock condition.

The distance of the filter from the road dictates the level of water that can cause damage. This distance varies with the vehicle ride height, which is why there are no published numbers for this measurement. We suggest taking this measurement and keeping it in a log book, so that in the event you encounter deep water you will know what your maximum allowable depth is before potential submersion of the inlet pipe.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I hydrolocked my tC so bad that it bent the #1 piston. I have the Ingen CAI. However I think the explination to this story is I drove into a flood at night when I couldn't see the water. The water was so high that when I got out of the car it was almost up to my waist and above the bottom of the door line. Other than that I think it would be fine. I still drive mine during rain and I don't really worry about it although it is something I think about.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
i'm in san jose.. i've driven through some harsh winter rains in cali.... never had any issues..
Hey Trung, you mean you've never driven into a deep puddle on 101 or 880?
Old 11-17-2006, 04:38 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

hmm... no.... usually if the water is THAT high enough.. they'd close it down and pump the water out before they let any cars thru...

otherwise.. whatever puddles that are there... ehh... i drive right thru them..
Old 11-17-2006, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

cool. i had the same question louie. good to know i can still wash my car by hose or car wash place without worrying. but one more thing,...

should i be worried with hydrolocking if i have a vented hood (washing the car or raining)?
Old 11-18-2006, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldnt go and spray down the vents in your hood, just be mindful of them and youll be alright. [/quote]
Old 11-18-2006, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

im sure as hell not gonna write a lot about this but it does happen - there is no way in hell ide put a filter that low - ive been in a car where it locked up but eventually was able to get it to turn over after 1/2hr of constant trying to start - the problem is .... if for some reason you hit a crazy amount of water things happen so fast ... you say "oh poop" and things get worse by the millisecond - and then your in the middle of a lake. but hey - people can do what they like.