Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

I/H/E $1500

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I/H/E $1500

okay so ive searched and searched.

i want a full upgrade......

I've decided for the intake:

Injen FTW

I have not decided for the headers:

i was thinking DC sports cause they are ceramic coated (why is this a good thing)
or i was thinking MMW cause they are the only true 4-2-1 (why is this a good thing)

for the exhaust :
i really have no idea i want something that grumbles (there was alot of blah, blah blah, in the buyers guide and i couldnt find a clear answer)....
i want to delete the cat cause i heard it gives more power (in florida so emissions dont matter)
and looks nice.... so im thinking, INJEN, DC, or TANABE G, or agency power (too expensive, so maybe not)
but i dont want rasp!!!
also i want to do the install myself(is this possible, i cant weld) and i need to know if there are any fitment issues, or any other things to get ...s-pipe, midpipe, i saw some people got custom resonators or something (where do you get these and how much)
thankyou for your experience and knowledge all answers, suggestions, and comments are greatly appreciated

Old 02-16-2007, 08:12 PM
EMU
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Injen 280.00
DC header 318.00 or Strup 396.00
Invidia downpipie 210.00
Tanabe Exhaust 312.00

so why do you have to spend 1500.00? i can get you these for cheaper
Old 02-16-2007, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm guessing because he wants a FULL exhaust.
which means a CUSTOM mid pipe with at least a 27" resonator.
if he goes mandrel thats at least 350$ for the mid pipe.
you should also consider a small highflow cat in the mid pipe 100$+
I know we're in FL but if every one keeps saying that and removing their cats we WILL eventually
have emmisions again.
a highflow cat will not restrict too much and will help with sound supression a tiny bit.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what are the advantages of a "full exhaust" power? sound?
Old 02-16-2007, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FIREDOG
power! "open" things up. Tanabe Concept G is an axleback only. Why is 4-2-1 better usually? Lose less torque in the lower RPM.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Injen CAI
Alphawerks Headers
Custom magnaflow exhaust.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

agency power ti exhaust and pulley from
http://www.techniquegarage.com/

works great for me. you shouldn't have a problem going over 1500.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:07 PM
SL Member

I've heard header setups with many many inches of resonator that still sound quite raspy. I challenge anyone to post a video of a car with headers that has nearly no rasp. At least 36" of resonator will be needed to compensate for the rasp. I'm at the point where headers almost aren't worth it for me; there is no real way around the check engine light problem, and it's likely that the antifouler fix is making the engine run funny. One person posted recently that when you use the CEL eliminator/antifouler, you are tricking the engine into thinking there's less airflow over the sensor so the engine burns less fuel and thus makes the same amount of power as before. Thoughts? During dyno testings of these things, did they use antifoulers?
Old 02-16-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CuRiOuSfIsH
power! "open" things up. Tanabe Concept G is an axleback only. Why is 4-2-1 better usually? Lose less torque in the lower RPM.

yep like he said "open" things up.
i'v come to the realisation that "bolt ons" cannot "give" you additional hp, they can only free up
available hp that the factory stuff stiffles.

also a "full exhaust" would be
downpipe(invidia) 160$
2.5 custom mid pipe with cat and resonator 350 to 400$
your choise of axleback such as hks hp.

you could get the tsudo n1 cat back system, this comes with a full "mid pipe" and axleback muffler, BUT if you plan on running a header you will still need to chop up that nice mid pipe to add atleast 10" more of resonator. tsudo system 250$
Old 02-16-2007, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scootermafia
I've heard header setups with many many inches of resonator that still sound quite raspy. I challenge anyone to post a video of a car with headers that has nearly no rasp. At least 36" of resonator will be needed to compensate for the rasp. I'm at the point where headers almost aren't worth it for me; there is no real way around the check engine light problem, and it's likely that the antifouler fix is making the engine run funny. One person posted recently that when you use the CEL eliminator/antifouler, you are tricking the engine into thinking there's less airflow over the sensor so the engine burns less fuel and thus makes the same amount of power as before. Thoughts? During dyno testings of these things, did they use antifoulers?
very true about the rasp, you can't completly eliminate it just reduce it.
there IS a true safe way around the CEL from a header, its simple, get a true OBDI-II compliant
"HIGHFLOW" cat on the mid pipe WITH a O2 bung welded behind the cat, EXTEND the second O2 sensor harness (soder and wire baby) and you will have NO CEL you WILL NOT be tricking the ecu or nothing.
and a true high flow cat will not kill your header's performance (just a tiny bit...)
Old 02-17-2007, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay so....mmw.....or dc sports?

how does this sound..
INJEN/MMW (with s-pipe)/hks hi power

can i just order these pieces and install them myself?....how much power am i lookin at? will this sound good?
do i need anything else like a mid-pipe(does a mid-pipe free up hp) or something...will i be lookin at any highway drone?
Old 02-17-2007, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ps. does the rasp thing happen with all headers my friend has a v6 tib and is getting some dc headers....
Old 02-17-2007, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scootermafia
I challenge anyone to post a video of a car with headers that has nearly no rasp.
you got it:

my old setup: Fujita CAI > Megan Racing Header > Megan Racing S-Pipe > Magnaflow Hi-Flo Cat > Magnaflow 30" Perforated Resonator > Magnaflow Muffler > Magnaflow Perforated Tip

heres the vid:

and here is proof its not just a video of a normal car, heres under the hood:
Old 02-17-2007, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay so injen/mmw ftw.....
still dont know about exhaust whats the diffrence or advantage of having a cat-back vs an axle back?... im thinking injen i think its a cat back?.... is agency power a cat-back...is it worth it
Old 02-17-2007, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cat back is the exhaust from the catalytic converter back. axle back is from the rear axle back.......... in this case more like rear suspension back.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Injen is axel back but the look and sound of it is amazing...im getting injen exhaust btw
Old 02-17-2007, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay so injen/mmw ftw.....
still dont know about exhaust whats the diffrence or advantage of having a cat-back vs an axle back?... im thinking injen i think its a cat back?.... is agency power a cat-back...is it worth it
IF you want a full exhaust you need
header/S pipe/MID PIPE that matches s pipe (aka 2.5) with a minimum of 27" of resonator/axleback muffler.

that is a FULL exhaust, as far as brands its up to you, if you get the MMW header you will be killing 3 birds with one stone because it comes with header/S PIPE and its own antifouler.
fooling the 2nd O2 is not my type of thing but i don't know about all that "making your car run like stock" talk. Every one running I/H/E claims their car running slightly rich.
IF the running like stock thing is true then people running I/H/E car's would be running
at 14.1.1 which slightly on the lean side and therefor FAST...
Old 02-17-2007, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

teh agency power exhaust is raspy.. look and hear the vids online, you can hear the rasp. it sucks
Old 02-18-2007, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I picked up a header-back megan exhaust and Fujita CAI from wesellcarparts.com for a little over $800. Easy to hit under your budget once you add on a Header. If you want a header, you'll need to buy a large resonator to reduce the raspy sound. Have that welded into your new mid-pipe before you get it installed, and you should have the rasp under control. I'll let you know the volume of my new system when I get it installed next weekend as a reference point. I've heard some good things about the precisionmuffler.com axleback for minimal rasp and reasonable volume, also.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was asking whats the difference in sound performance or anything between an axle back or cat back

Quick Reply: I/H/E $1500