Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

i just survived a bad accident in my tc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member

Wait, was I bragging? I dont believe so. I was showing that scions are safe. So maybe.. you are the moron? Yeah.. it would seem that way.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by farfromeinstien
but if you are to deny going fast in a car, then just dont even talk, you all know you speed from time to time. But then I get 3 people telling me about a problem the scions have with teh ABS, sometimes it wont work when you turn.
Oh, i'm not going to lie. I speed all the time whenever possible

I just use my brakes too

By the way, you're not supposed to brake while you turn. You're supposed to brake before it.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by dp-_-
By the way, you're not supposed to brake while you turn. You're supposed to brake before it.
hum.. that seems more like personal preference than a rule of the road.

And chrischoi, do people usually put when they brag? I... dont believe so. Maybe you do, but who gives a crap about that
Old 09-15-2006, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

well here is the thing, yeah, I was going fast. And yeah its stupid, but if you are to deny going fast in a car, then just dont even talk, you all know you speed from time to time. But I dont remember what happened. But the cop said that it was a fishtail, and that if I were to break... that would have fixed the problem, I just thought that I messed up, my bad. But then I get 3 people telling me about a problem the scions have with teh ABS, sometimes it wont work when you turn. My friends gf took her car back because she fishtailed and hit a curb because her brakes didnt work for a split second, and a scion flipped off the freeway for the same reason. Then another, and I guess a couple problems are on these forums. So usaa is looking into it.
Most of the problems reported on this forum are due driver error and inexperience, not because of some massive error on Toyota part. I speed, you speed, we all speed, however the difference is know WHEN to speed. When you are driving faster than is safe for the conditions and you slam on the brakes in a turn, you're going to lose control and experience snap over-steer... ABS won't save you in that situation. A lot of kids are getting in over their heads with these cars and it's not the car's fault, they just haven't developed proper braking and throttle technique, nor skid recovery.

There's no other way to say it... slow down and learn how to better control your car.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

That's one of the first things they teach in drivers education, and it's a question on many driving test. You always brake before a curve.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2fast4you
That's one of the first things they teach in drivers education, and it's a question on many driving test. You always brake before a curve.
Yeah I took a driving class too. And I know you dont take a 90 degree turn at 30 mph, but do you break on a big wide turn like the one I was on.. I dont think it matters..
Old 09-15-2006, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member

oh.. and just so you guys dont think im trying to say that I was right and that it was all the car and whatever.. I know I messed up. But what can you do other than learn from it?
Old 09-15-2006, 09:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Yeah I took a driving class too. And I know you dont take a 90 degree turn at 30 mph, but do you break on a big wide turn like the one I was on.. I dont think it matters..
That is the problem, it does matter and sounds like it was the cause of your accident. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, I'm trying to help you learn from your mistake. You carried too much speed into that curve causing you to overreact and over-steer. When you brake hard in a turn, you transfer your car's weight to the front and unload the rear wheels and lose traction. When you drive too fast in a corner, you'll feel the car under steer than you'll overcorrect (over-steer) causing your rear wheels to lose traction. Either way, the results are the same. You always want to brake in as straight of a line as possible, and if need be, trail brake in a curve to keep the weight distribution balanced.

Give a try the next the time the you drive and I guarantee it'll feel better to you.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everyone neglects to ask if the other person was OK.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is the problem, it does matter and sounds like it was the cause of your accident. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, I'm trying to help you learn from your mistake. You carried too much speed into that curve causing you to overreact and over-steer. When you brake hard in a turn, you transfer your car's weight to the front and unload the rear wheels and lose traction. When you drive too fast in a corner, you'll feel the car under steer than you'll overcorrect (over-steer) causing your rear wheels to lose traction. Either way, the results are the same. You always want to brake in as straight of a line as possible, and if need be, trail brake in a curve to keep the weight distribution balanced.

Give a try the next the time the you drive and I guarantee it'll feel better to you.
preach it brotha....why are people so quick to blame mechanical error as part of the reason for the accident?....

As the great guys at Rev It Up and Zoom Zoom Live would tell you: "Drive within your limits."
Old 09-15-2006, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've heard of a survey that was done that said people on their cell phones cause more accidents than drunk drivers... everytime I see people on their cell phones while driving they are usually holding up traffic, dont pay attention, and I want to break their m'fin phone. self-important mother fathers.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

No, that is actually the ONLY safe way to take a corner. Brake in a straight line, accelerate through a corner.

Sorry about your wreck, and I am not here to bash you. But I hope you learned a valuable lesson about doing other things when driving.

I dont answer my phone in the car, period. First reason is that it is just plain unsafe to be talking on the phone while driving. Too many wrecks caused by it. I get severly angry (near to the point of violence ) when someone almost hits me while holding thier damn phone to their ear. Second reason is that I HATE todays society view that just because I have a cell phone I am supposed to answer anytime someone calls. I dont answer it in the car, in a resteraunt, etc. That is what voice mail is for. I dont need an electronic leash on me :D I love our company policy. If you answer your phone on a business call while driving your car.. you are fired, period. Best rule ever.

Hope you get your car fixed, glad you are ok and be safe in the future.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

As much as everyone is glad you're safe from the bad accident, I'm wondering how it is you still have your license? Hearing a story like that, hitting someone at 60mph while they were just sitting there, you'd think that you wouldn't be allowed to drive right now. And I know a couple other people asked but didn't get answered, but the other car you hit, what happened to them?

P.S. I hope my box could handle a collision that well if it happened to me. Scions kick butt
Old 09-15-2006, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

his name is FarFromEinstein people. at least he admits it
Old 09-15-2006, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by locondcoco

preach it brotha....why are people so quick to blame mechanical error as part of the reason for the accident?....

As the great guys at Rev It Up and Zoom Zoom Live would tell you: "Drive within your limits."
oh no.. Trust me, I know this one was my bad. Even if the ABS did mess up or whatever, if I was going the speed limit.. then maybe I just would have bit the curb or something like that, nothing major, but I was going way over, stupid me, I know... BUT look at my last post dude..

oh.. and just so you guys dont think im trying to say that I was right and that it was all the car and whatever.. I know I messed up. But what can you do other than learn from it?
k? k..
Old 09-15-2006, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
No, that is actually the ONLY safe way to take a corner. Brake in a straight line, accelerate through a corner.

Sorry about your wreck, and I am not here to bash you. But I hope you learned a valuable lesson about doing other things when driving.

I dont answer my phone in the car, period. First reason is that it is just plain unsafe to be talking on the phone while driving. Too many wrecks caused by it. I get severly angry (near to the point of violence ) when someone almost hits me while holding thier damn phone to their ear. Second reason is that I HATE todays society view that just because I have a cell phone I am supposed to answer anytime someone calls. I dont answer it in the car, in a resteraunt, etc. That is what voice mail is for. I dont need an electronic leash on me :D I love our company policy. If you answer your phone on a business call while driving your car.. you are fired, period. Best rule ever.

Hope you get your car fixed, glad you are ok and be safe in the future.
I agree with everything you just said...

I was taught to accelerate through the turn in driving school.

and I dont answer my phone either, I was going to install bluetooth in my car... but now I dont have a car but ill get one soon..
Old 09-15-2006, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didnt even have my seatbelt on.i took it off for a couple of seconds to grab my phone on th epassenger floo
Darwin's ____ed.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member

what kind and size of wheels are on your car farfromeinstien?
Old 09-16-2006, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Accidents happen............Even if they are our fault. lol

Gald your safe.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member

i know it was stupid what can i say.i'm man enough to admit it.i'm sure we all take our eyes off the road even to mess with the stereo,turn around to look at your blind side,look at the hot chick or guy on the side of the road-freeway or whatever.its only stupid when you actually get into a accident doing it.lets not be nieve and say we never do these little things cause we all do it.i am safe cause i had the airbags.if i was in my old 88 civic hatch i defanatly would not be here right now.i bit sore still but getting better by the day.i baught a 07 tc the next day,same color.i know i will be safe in it.the guy in the roll over,and walked from that.these cars are the truth!!!!! toyota quality baby!!!! thats GENUINE!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: i just survived a bad accident in my tc.