Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

I think I got screwed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:04 PM

Default I think I got screwed!

So I went to midas to get my magnaflow on. When they are done, I hop in the car and take off. I open it up to hear what it would sound like at wot and it totally crackles, like those cheap, rink-a-dink, cars do. I look under at the exhaust when get home and see that they had used smaller piping, looks like 2 inches. Also, at all of the welds, I can feel the exhaust come out. Is it becuase the piping isnt 2.5 or bigger, that it pops/crackles/farts/ sounds like ___ under extreem load? Or is it the exhaust leaks, or a combination of both. I went there just now to let them know but they said that they have a lot of cars and cant do it until Monday. I'm sooooo ____ed. Seriously considering just taking it somewhere else and having them do it the right way.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:07 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew
SL Member

does it say magnaflow on the muffler?
Old 01-05-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea I think you got screwed take it somewhere else and get it fix the right way.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:49 PM

Yea, I bought the muffler sepereate, then I took it to midas to get it put on. This sucks, now I have to wait until I get some extra money. Why the hell would they put on smaller piping than the rest of the whole car? I dont understand!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:15 AM
SL Member

go back and complain, if they didn't provide the service you payed for get them to fix it. Also if you are feeling air movement from the welds then thats an incorrect weld. TAKE THE CAR BACK AND _____
Old 01-07-2008, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ get that checked out
Old 01-07-2008, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they probably used whatever leftover pipe they had laying around to save money for them and take yours. id definately take it back and give them hell and get a partial refund and fix it , id be ____ed offf
Old 01-07-2008, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you specifically tell them you wanted a specific pipe diameter? or did you just say install the muffler?

being too busy to fix their mistakes is the biggest load of bull i have ever heard. demand to speak with the manager (if that wasn't him the first time) or the manager's regional director. thats the worst customer service possible. if they still won't fix it or say that they are too busy, let them know you'll be taking it elsewhere and sending them the bill.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, i'm shocked. a universal muffler doesn't sound good on a 4 cyl import.......
Old 01-07-2008, 05:14 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by SePaTc
wow, i'm shocked. a universal muffler doesn't sound good on a 4 cyl import.......
There is always one of you in each thread
Old 01-07-2008, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fdkumro
seriously, i'm not that dude.... but come on. this has got to be at least the 7 thousandth "My custom/universal muffler + header setup sounds like crap. HELP!!!" Thread.

Its kindof amusing by this point. If you don't know by now that 9 time out of 10 a header is going to make your tc sound like crap, and Midas/Universal muffler shops don't do good jobs......then you need to leave this site.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:53 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by fdkumro
seriously, i'm not that dude.... but come on. this has got to be at least the 7 thousandth "My custom/universal muffler + header setup sounds like crap. HELP!!!" Thread.

Its kindof amusing by this point. If you don't know by now that 9 time out of 10 a header is going to make your tc sound like crap, and Midas/Universal muffler shops don't do good jobs......then you need to leave this site.
lol you do have a point but this one was about ____ty work done on his car.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Universals don't have to sound bad. My xB came with a crappy 1.75' no-name oval muffler because the shop that put a wheelchair ramp in didn't seem to care about performance. I had it pulled and put in a Flowmaster Hushpower II low-profile 2 1/4"exhaust. it didn't sound raspy but had a bad resonance at 2800 - 3100 RPM, I had to use ear plugs to avoid the drone. Ended up getting an Apexi 90 mm silencer. The muffler had to be mounted mid-body so there was just a 3" diameter 10" long pipe tip behind the axle. Silencer completely killed the drone, try that first if the tip is large enough.

I'm supercharged, so I went with the active tail silencer which has a spring gate in it to open up under load and bypass the silencer port, pretty nice stuff actually, doens't lose HP under load but keeps out the drone when cruising.

If you want to completely replace your tC exhaust, PTuning came out with a rather nice setup, dyno tested vs. stock and other aftermarket setups on the tC. I went to Midas and they seemed to not know what the hell they were going to do, so I went local, non-chain for the work.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Universals don't have to sound bad.
heck no they don't have to sound bad... my point is, don't wonder why your system doesn't sound good if you're using non-matched parts that haven't been R&D'd with each other.

Engine harmonic frequency is the primary factor in the tone your exhaust will make. designing an exhaust which capitalizes on the specs of your engine is ideal for both sound and performance.