Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

I wanna remove Power Steering..Please Help!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Bring it back... he'll feel something... we just need to be patient to hear his experience...
Old 09-21-2006, 08:44 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have to watch this one. On a track this would probably be ideal.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for those who think im doing this for power gains.... your way off.

im doing this solely for driving expirience, and im hoping it will fare well. either way... at least you (the people) will hear how it went for me.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Don't let them get to you, although I don't know if the result will be great... I'd still like to see your experience...
Old 09-22-2006, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Been driving for 8 years now and i've never driven a car without power steering until I drove an uncles old mistubishi truck. Wow! That was a work out! A 3-point U-turn on a narrow street became a real chore! Good luck with that!
Old 09-22-2006, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats SAP JIL..
Old 09-22-2006, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The one thing he will gain is a good bicep workout just from driving the car.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

no power steering = 45% better drifting and 63 % better double clutching.

If your going this far in search of performance, you might as well gut the interior and get some of those mythical carbon fiber roof panels to replace the glass.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My goodness you people are wimps!!!

Manual Steering is not tough at all...under 5mph its a little annoying...but you get the car rolling a bit and you don't have a problem at all.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by wibblywobbly
no power steering = 45% better drifting and 63 % better double clutching.

If your going this far in search of performance, you might as well gut the interior and get some of those mythical carbon fiber roof panels to replace the glass.
Kaminari has just advertised those CF roof panels, by the way. Check their page for them.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by farberio
My goodness you people are wimps!!!

Manual Steering is not tough at all...under 5mph its a little annoying...but you get the car rolling a bit and you don't have a problem at all.
ditto. as soon as u start rolling turning is cake. i find it easier, mentaly not physically, to drive a car with-out power steering. i can feel what the car is doing alot easier w/o power steering. Not a tC tho so idk how the tC will feel w/o power steering so I'm keepin an eye on this as well.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well I'll be darned, those CF roof panels do exist. I thought they were the pipe dream of all the people that read the SCC article about the Mini Cooper and decided that it would be the solution for all the TC's problems.

I still stick to my original point thought. If you are going to go as extreme lengths for performance as ditching power steering, removing the sunroof, gutting the interior etc. you should buy a miata, a 240sx or even a fox body mustang..... something that provided a real base for a performance car. i.e. not a porcine FWD econo car like a TC.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't because if the case happens where you have to make an evasive maneuver (avoid accident) you might not be able to do it in time. I would be worried that if you hit another motorist and they found out your power steering was disabled and that caused the accident they would sue the ____ out of you. And I don’t think removing the timing belt will be the right thing to do anyway. Seeing as the tC doesn’t have one. Also, if it hasn't been said already, cars that don’t come equipped with power steering have racks and ratios designed for such a case. The car was engineered with it for a reason. If you want a car w/o power steering, go buy one.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

hmm interesting... will be watching the progress of this thread
Old 09-25-2006, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by tCb00b
I wouldn't because if the case happens where you have to make an evasive maneuver (avoid accident) you might not be able to do it in time. I would be worried that if you hit another motorist and they found out your power steering was disabled and that caused the accident they would sue the ____ out of you. And I don’t think removing the timing belt will be the right thing to do anyway. Seeing as the tC doesn’t have one. Also, if it hasn't been said already, cars that don’t come equipped with power steering have racks and ratios designed for such a case. The car was engineered with it for a reason. If you want a car w/o power steering, go buy one.
That's an interesting point you make about the accident, and definitely one worth thinking about. What cars out today don't come stock with power steering? Lotus Elise... I'm trying to think... MR2? Miata?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by unsungfate
for those who think im doing this for power gains.... your way off.

im doing this solely for driving expirience, and im hoping it will fare well. either way... at least you (the people) will hear how it went for me.
Easy way to try it is to pop it in neutral and turn off the engine - remember you get only a few pumps on the brakes before the vacuum assist goes away. You may find that the power steering is not designed to operate without the pump assist and may wear prematurely.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's an interesting point you make about the accident, and definitely one worth thinking about. What cars out today don't come stock with power steering? Lotus Elise... I'm trying to think... MR2? Miata?
I was thinking he should find something older probably something from the 80's although I know some cars in the 90's had P/S as an option, Honda comes to mind. I'm sure if he looks he can find something to gain "experience" from. He could even kill 2 birds with one stone by learning how to save up for something. He may know how to do this already but it would be a great lesson in self-discipline.

Edit: Im not saying he should buy a car and swap racks but buy a car that doesn't have it and drive it to get the no power steering experience.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:03 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

That's an interesting point you make about the accident, and definitely one worth thinking about. What cars out today don't come stock with power steering? Lotus Elise... I'm trying to think... MR2? Miata?[/quote]
I was thinking he should find something older probably something from the 80's although I know some cars in the 90's had P/S as an option, Honda comes to mind. I'm sure if he looks he can find something to gain "experience" from. He could even kill 2 birds with one stone by learning how to save up for something. He may know how to do this already but it would be a great lesson in self-discipline.[/quote]

See but that wouldnt really work. Finding a car that didnt come with power steering will be different than the tC witout power steering. The tC was designed with power steering in mind. A non power steering car will have a different rack and pinion setup (or what ever it may be). Ratios will be different to give more leverage and the overall feel will be completely different.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And front end alignment may be different to provide more feedback for Power steering and less for manual steering.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you loop the pressure in/out at the steering rack, it'll be slightly easier to turn, plus it'll allow you to keep fluid in the steering rack to ensure it doesn't prematurely fail.

Also I'd be willing to bet there's a power gain. In addition to a ~20lb weight reduction, gains would be similar to that of a lightweight pulley.

Quick Reply: I wanna remove Power Steering..Please Help!?