Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

is a IC needed on SC??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default is a IC needed on SC??

I know about the other post, but this doesn't relate to getting one...my question is if you need one...

Reason I ask, I know about turbos, the head from the turbines would reach the intake and cause the fan to get red hot, heating up the air in the intake causing it to be less efficient...

But, since a Supercharger runs off the belt, and stays a lot cooler, is a Intercooler really needed for it??

I know it'd get hot through friction, but nowhere near that of a turbo...
Old 01-06-2005, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Needed no. But I am sure you can gain a little more power by using an intercooler with a supercharger. Cooler air is dense. The denser the air the more boost you get.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i know someone is gonna flame on this post.

please dont. if you have something mean to say, keep it to yourself.

personally i dunno much bout SC's, but IC isnt really needed.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member

The answer to your question is no. Neither a turbo or an sc require an intercooler and i have seen both setups run without it. Both greddy base turbo kit and vortech's base supercharger kit do not include intercoolers. However you will always benifit greatly from getting one. The reason for this is that any time air is compressed heat is created. It is the same for a turbo or supercharger. When running low boost and conservative timming it is ok to forgo an intercooler. But if you want the most power you can get you will absolutely need a intercooler whether it is a turbo or a supercharger. This is the reason both greddy and vortech offer intercoolers to add to their kits so real power can be made. So basically unless you don't really want that much power and don't want the extra reliablilty you should definately get an intercooler.

- Jay S.

P.S.This whole theory about the turbo being so much hotter due to the turbine is not quite correct. While it is slightly hotter it is one of those situations where there is not that much of a difference. The air heated so much by the compression that the heat the compressor itself gives off makes little difference.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

depends on type of supercharger being used. if you have a setup like a vortech system then a intercooler can be used, but for what trd plans to put, NO
Old 01-07-2005, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ikonXone
depends on type of supercharger being used. if you have a setup like a vortech system then a intercooler can be used, but for what trd plans to put, NO
Actually the trd kit is based off of a vortech, so while you are correct that no intercooler will be needed with the trd blower at base boost, once the boost is turned up a intercooler will become quite nessesary to fight off detonation.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotlava1096
Originally Posted by ikonXone
Actually the trd kit is based off of a vortech, so while you are correct that no intercooler will be needed with the trd blower at base boost, once the boost is turned up a intercooler will become quite nessesary to fight off detonation.
i have been trying to keep up on the information about the supercharger, but i haven't read what kind of supercharger they are using. don't they typically use eaton super chargers (probably wrong, not quite sure on the different type of superchargers). the ones they are currently using on all other toyota models would be pointless with a intercooler.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

They're using a centrifugal unit for the tC.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Also, I think an aftercooler is probably a better option than an intercooler.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Intercoolers are always good when running either turbo or sc.
think of it like this, you are going to be better with than without.

An intercooler (sometimes referred to as an aftercooler) is designed to remove heat from the compressed air coming from the supecharger (or turbo) before it enters the engine's induction system. An intercooler works just lie a radiator - air is cooled by fins, bars, louvres, and plates inside the intercooler that are cooler than the compressed air coming from the supercharger. The reduction in air temperature increases the density of the air (more air molecules per cupic foot), which consequently increases your engine's ability to make more horsepower and torque. The decreased air temperature allows you to run more boost on a given octane of fuel before detonation occurs..

Why Intercool?
There are several important benefits to intercooling that have resulted in their increased popularity in recent years. The most significant advantage is that intercooling increases the detonation threshhold because of the cooler air charge, meaning you can run more ignition advance for higher performance, or run lower octane fuel before experiencing detonation. This makes intercoolers very desirable for those looking to get the most out of their street vehicles on pump gasoline. The cooler air also allows your engine to run slightly cooler, reducing the chances of overheating. Intercoolers also enable your engine to produce more horsepower because of the denser air charge being delivered to the engine's combustion chamber.

Don't assume, however, that you can simply bolt an intercooler on to your supercharged engine and expect power gains with no other changes to the system. Intercoolers do create some internal drag causing a slight reduction in boost, and can also cause the engine to run lean (knock) due to the denser air charge. These problems are easily corrected and should not cause concern, however they cannot be ignored. Boost pressure can be brought back up (actually you'll probably want to run substantially more boost than you did with a non-intercooled application) using a smaller supercharger pulley. The smaller supercharger pulley will spin the supercharger faster and increase its output. Make sure your supercharger is designed to handle these higher boost levels. Correcting the air/fuel ratio to compensate for the denser air charge can be done with larger fuel injectors, recalibrated FMU, larger fuel pump, adjusting the mass air meter, etc.

When should you intercool?
Obviously, intercoolers only work with supercharged or turbocharged vehicles where there is a substantial difference in temperature between the air entering the engine and the cooling medium (the intercooler). Because superchargers heat up the air significantly as they compress it, it is possible for there to be a very large temperature difference between the intercooler (ambient air temperature - 80F degrees or so) and the compressed air (200F - 350F degrees). Superchargers with higher boost will create a hotter discharge, so as you increase your boost, the effects of the intercooler become more and more noticable. In general we would not recommend intercoolers on supercharged engines with less than 8-9psi of boost, as the benefits will not be substantial. Essentially, run an intercooler when only when you running peak boost (i.e. any more boost would cause detonation) for the octane of fuel you use. Intercoolers work well in both warm and cool climates and work exceptionally well on marine applications because of the easy access to cold water.
So while intercoolers work well on higher output superchargers, they are not recommended for lower boost level kits, like an average 6psi street kit. If you're looking for exceptional performance from your engine, consider adding an intercooler to your engine, or consider purchasing a supercharger kit that comes with an intercooler. Most ATI ProCharger systems include intercoolers and still remain very reasonably priced. Paxton has also recently introduced several intercoolers to fit their more popular supercharger systems, while Vortech already includes intercoolers with several kits. Good luck with your intercooling endeavors, wherever they may take you!

Thanks to some supercharger pros for the info!
Old 01-09-2005, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by simplespirit
An aftercooler is a intercooler. :D
Old 01-09-2005, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotlava1096
Originally Posted by simplespirit
An aftercooler is a intercooler. :D

Old 01-09-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

shrugs
Old 01-10-2005, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tranny cooler would a great addition
Old 01-10-2005, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

beer cooler would be an even more impressive and useful addition
Old 05-12-2005, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by TheKnown
beer cooler would be an even more impressive and useful addition
lol smart @$$
Old 05-12-2005, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahh beer cooler, and a refrigerator, now i got the idea im gonna run with
Old 05-12-2005, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

an intercooler on a supercharged car can definitely be beneficial, especially if running a higher psi pulley on the crank or the supercharger itself
Old 05-13-2005, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have a question, im planning to get the SC kit when it comes out. I will probably get the intercooler because i want to change the pulley to get a little more power. Will it be stupid of me to get a CAI and a intercooler or a intercooler will just make the CAI useless? Thanks
Old 05-13-2005, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the supercharger will not work with the aftermarket intakes, at least according to rumor.