Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Idling issues..

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Idling issues..

Alright so lately my car has been acting weird. A couple weeks ago on my way home from work i went to get gas at sunoco (i was on E) and i put plus in. I drove home and my car acting fine. A couple of hours later i start my car and it sounds like there are rocks jumping around in the motor, i shut it off for a minute, started it back up and reved it up a bit then drove to see how it would drive, well about a minute into driving it sounded like my exhaust kicked something out, so i stopped, shut the car off for about a hour and came back to it and the sound was gone, but the idle was low...

It usually idles around 1100-1200 rpms but now it idles around 800 to 1000 rpms and also when the car is at a stand still and i push the clutch in, the idle drops to about 500 rpms and the car feels like its literally shaking. Anyone know what could be the problem? I've checked my plugs and they all are gapped where they should be..
Old 08-03-2012, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to hear about your problem... Do you have any vibration issues at high RPMs and speeds? How many miles? Any modifications? Does it change when you turn your AC compressor on and off again? 1100 idle seems oddly high for an average idle.... I thought previously that 700 - 800 was normal for our engines (I am assuming you have a TC1). Try a full tank of 93 from a "top-tier" gas company (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html) -- BP IS NOT one. Also, include a full can of seafoam with a full tank. See if that fixes any issues.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RJSCION
Sorry to hear about your problem... Do you have any vibration issues at high RPMs and speeds? How many miles? Any modifications? Does it change when you turn your AC compressor on and off again? 1100 idle seems oddly high for an average idle.... I thought previously that 700 - 800 was normal for our engines (I am assuming you have a TC1). Try a full tank of 93 from a "top-tier" gas company (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html) -- BP IS NOT one. Also, include a full can of seafoam with a full tank. See if that fixes any issues.
Theres no vibration, but as i get the rpms up, theres almost like a whistling sound before i switch gears..im coming up on 100k miles and the only mods i have right now are cai and trd exhaust, and i was in the process of prepping for a turbo..i didnt think it was normal for it to be that low, i always thought about 1000 was normal. And yes! When i turn the AC on it vibrates and the throttle response is slower. I dont even use the AC because of that. My check engine light came on last night and i read the code and it said "Camshaft position actuator A-Bank 1 timing over-Advance." But this morning i filled the tank with gas and the check engine light went off..
Old 08-04-2012, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Idle should be under 1K even with the A/C on. If it was higher there is an issue. 800 rpm's for idle is about normal. A/C will always draw power from a motor and cause a little more harshness.

Why would you turn a car on, or rev it higher if it sounds like rocks is beyond my guess. Take it to a dealer to figure out why the code was on.

Edit: Putting anything other then 87 octane in it is a waste.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz
Idle should be under 1K even with the A/C on. If it was higher there is an issue. 800 rpm's for idle is about normal. A/C will always draw power from a motor and cause a little more harshness.

Why would you turn a car on, or rev it higher if it sounds like rocks is beyond my guess. Take it to a dealer to figure out why the code was on.

Edit: Putting anything other then 87 octane in it is a waste.
When i turn my A/C on, it feels like my car is pulling a bunch of weight. Yes it should be more harsh, but not too crazy. And i dont want to jump the gun and take it to the dealer and pay a stupid amount of money just to find out why a code came on.

And why put 87 octane in a N/A car? If you have a lot of power i understand, but for a pretty much stock car theres no point in my opinion..