Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

I'm a One wheel Wonder no more! (Quaife LSD is here!) :Pics:

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just saw it....while reading i threw the pages i diddnt look at the post dates....but good info none the less
Old 03-23-2008, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

it's all good! we still love you.

Do you have an LSD for the car? Are you thinking about getting one?
Old 03-24-2008, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im thinkin of getting one, i was just trying to do alil research on exactly wat id be getting and lookin for some reviews on how well it worked...
Old 03-24-2008, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

if you are having someone do it for you expect to pay around $300 and $600 or so for install plus however much it costs for the actual diff...

it works VERY well but for the amount it costs, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are doing some "extracurricular" driving...
Old 03-24-2008, 01:54 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Complication
if you are having someone do it for you expect to pay around $300 and $600 or so for install plus however much it costs for the actual diff...

it works VERY well but for the amount it costs, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are doing some "extracurricular" driving...
It'd be closer to $600 if you ask me - there's no way in hell I'd do another one for any less. It's really a PITA to install haha.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I'm jealous...
Old 03-24-2008, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow...yea that is pretty exspensive, iv got my car in the shop rite now getting the forged rods and pistons installed i wish i had the money to get and have them install the LSD also while they have the car all apart.. :\
Old 03-25-2008, 12:40 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scotty
wow...yea that is pretty exspensive, iv got my car in the shop rite now getting the forged rods and pistons installed i wish i had the money to get and have them install the LSD also while they have the car all apart.. :\
It would be cheaper now than later, since it's all already apart. I'd probably do an LSD install for $300 if the trans was already out of the car. Pulling and reinstalling it is the part that's a PITA.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah, after paying for forged internals and installation, what's another $300... oh yeah, and the cost of the LSD also...right, there's that. meh, what's another $2000. It's only money! lol
Old 03-25-2008, 04:14 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by PghtC
yeah, after paying for forged internals and installation, what's another $300... oh yeah, and the cost of the LSD also...right, there's that. meh, what's another $2000. It's only money! lol
hahahaha
Yeah, LSD's are expensive, but if you've got everything apart, now is the time to do it, as long as you trust whomever is doing it.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by huafist
Originally Posted by PghtC
hahahaha
Yeah, LSD's are expensive, but if you've got everything apart, now is the time to do it, as long as you trust whomever is doing it.

Troof!
Old 03-25-2008, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if u want something cheaper go with the obx lsd, its on ebay for $400 or so. my friend has it on his tc for two months now and no problems yet. my 2 cents....
Old 03-26-2008, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone done the final gear swap yet? Instead of swapping transmissions, I was just going to take mine apart and swap gears, that way I don't have to worry about mounting points on the transmission if they are different.... hmmm
Old 03-26-2008, 02:09 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimmyjun
if u want something cheaper go with the obx lsd, its on ebay for $400 or so. my friend has it on his tc for two months now and no problems yet. my 2 cents....
That'd be like putting a grenade in your trans. OBX makes junk.

Originally Posted by t_urbo_C_harged
has anyone done the final gear swap yet? Instead of swapping transmissions, I was just going to take mine apart and swap gears, that way I don't have to worry about mounting points on the transmission if they are different.... hmmm
What trans are you going to get the taller final drive gear from? Swapping 5th gear wouldn't be too hard, you don't have to take the entire trans apart. You'll need a 3" 3 jaw puller, a 3 screw harmonic dampener puller, and an impact wrench to do it. Just take the rear cover off of the trans and there it is.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What trans are you going to get the taller final drive gear from? Swapping 5th gear wouldn't be too hard, you don't have to take the entire trans apart. You'll need a 3" 3 jaw puller, a 3 screw harmonic dampener puller, and an impact wrench to do it. Just take the rear cover off of the trans and there it is.
Where did you find this information from. I was planning on getting the final gear from an e351 transmission. Why will I need those pullers? JW, I haven't looked up the procedure on how to do it but not to worry, I have all of the tools I need both at school and work in my tool box, so no worries. As long as the transmission hasn't changed, I will get it out of any transmission I can, but I will try to find a p/n and see how much it is new. Any help would be awesome as I don't see anything on anyone doing this swap...
Old 03-26-2008, 11:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You need the pullers to get the gear itself of the shaft. They are pressed on there and you'll never get it off without the puller.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:57 PM
SL Member

Where did you find this information from. I was planning on getting the final gear from an e351 transmission. Why will I need those pullers? JW, I haven't looked up the procedure on how to do it but not to worry, I have all of the tools I need both at school and work in my tool box, so no worries. As long as the transmission hasn't changed, I will get it out of any transmission I can, but I will try to find a p/n and see how much it is new. Any help would be awesome as I don't see anything on anyone doing this swap...
I found this information through the school of hard knocks, lol. I took a friend's trans apart to install his LSD and found those are the things I needed to do it. Do you know for sure that the 5th gear assembly from an e351 will fit the input shaft of a e350? You'll also need the synchro assemblies and the 5th driven gear that sits on the output shaft. You'll use the 3 jaw puller for the driven gear, and the harmonic dampener puller for the synchro assembly.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I found this information through the school of hard knocks, lol. I took a friend's trans apart to install his LSD and found those are the things I needed to do it. Do you know for sure that the 5th gear assembly from an e351 will fit the input shaft of a e350? You'll also need the synchro assemblies and the 5th driven gear that sits on the output shaft. You'll use the 3 jaw puller for the driven gear, and the harmonic dampener puller for the synchro assembly.
Oh, I see. Well I was planning on finding a used e351 tranny somewhere and just getting the whole assembly. Then, I was going to pull mine at school, disassemble it, and see if the final gear will spline to the e350 shaft or if I could just swap out the the output shafts and synchronizers. What we have used is this adjustable jaw that you can put behind the gear, then use a press and press the shaft off of the gear. It would be pretty cool to just swap the final gear, since the only thing different is that and the 5th gear between the 2 (tC's 5th gear will give me a little higher RPM, but with the final gear change I should be below 3k rpm on the highway!) Or maybe just keeping the final drive, and changing out the 5th gear, either way would drop the rpm, but I would rather change the final as I could reach 60 in second gear pretty much and third gear could reach 90. It will especially be good when boosted as I won't need to shift into fifth like others do. I will update when possible. If anyone has any info that would be great!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:37 PM
SL Member

You can't fit a puller behind any of these gears. The driven gear has a lip at the top that you have to put the puller on and remove the gear. the synchro assembly has 3 bolt holes in it to screw the puller into. If you try to pull these from behind, you'll chip the teeth on the gears.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching - also interested in a final gear swap, maybe even a total tranny swap to the E351

Quick Reply: I'm a One wheel Wonder no more! (Quaife LSD is here!) :Pics: