Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

I'm a One wheel Wonder no more! (Quaife LSD is here!) :Pics:

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

noob ?.......is this for manual or auto only application.....????
Old 05-19-2006, 06:36 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

watching to see your review. AND VIDEO!!
Old 05-19-2006, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I would LOVE 6 speed in my tC. Driving down the interstate at 3500rpm's really makes me want a 6th gear to shift into. It would definately help save on the gas.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WATCHING
Old 05-19-2006, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Who is doing the install for you? A shop, friend?
Old 05-19-2006, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

whats really good with the update
Old 05-19-2006, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

do you think the price will come down?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

do you think the price will come down?
Not a chance!!
Old 05-20-2006, 03:44 PM
dex
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn you got yours quick. im in the process of dealing with quaife now on getting one. sinse i asked them about a unit a year ago they put me on a list.

Our new differential application for the Scion Tc will be arriving next week! You are number two on the list to receive one. We have many, many people interested in this unit. Please confirm that you are prepared to purchase the unit from us next week, as they will be ready to ship. Again, we have one ATB unit reserved for you, and we are looking for confirmation of your intent to purchase.

Thank you very much!

Harleigh Williams
Quaife Aftermarket Manager
Old 05-20-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The ZPI 6spd solution is NOT the GT-S transmission. Simply, it won't fit.

Also, you can't just take the specs off of that car and plop it into another transmission. For one, it still won't fit and two, the GT-S gears are made to take advantage of high RPM hp whereas our engines need to take advantage of the higher displacement and lower redline.

ZPI really has no choice but to create a custom 6 spd as there are no other Toyota 6 spd transmissions that'll fit. The closest is the previous generation MR2 but that one involves still too much fabrication.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by desertheat
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by desertheat
Our tranny just needs a little longer legs is all. Nothing more. especially for those of us that are boosted.

We are boosted, in case you didn't notice. And when I'm cruising at 80mph, I feel like I need another gear. Just my opinion. The question didn't really need a response, I was just thinking out loud to myself.

127mph comes real fast now that we are boosted. One time I was doing some spirited driving, and before you know it, I'm in the 120's. I was like Holly Mother of God!

which is exactly why I said our car needs long legs, actually read my post which is why I said camry final drive would be nice for "those of us that are boosted" our cars are geared to short. A 6th gear can solve this...... or for a 1/4 of the price of a 6 speed, a better final drive with solve this with ease and you can keep the 5 speed. Heck you can have the lsd, keep the 5 speed and have better gears with a simple final drive change.
speaking of the camry. would a 5spd camry tranny jus bolt on or is there any fabrication needed. It obviously would make a stock tC less 'peppy' but for the FI guys it may be a good idea. Im sure theyre not THAT difficult to find.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

its probly gonna have different mounting tabs...we looked into it for the xB from the echo and everything was the same except for two mounting points...although it may be different with the tC I doubt it would be so easy.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by dex
damn you got yours quick. im in the process of dealing with quaife now on getting one. sinse i asked them about a unit a year ago they put me on a list.

Our new differential application for the Scion Tc will be arriving next week! You are number two on the list to receive one. We have many, many people interested in this unit. Please confirm that you are prepared to purchase the unit from us next week, as they will be ready to ship. Again, we have one ATB unit reserved for you, and we are looking for confirmation of your intent to purchase.

Thank you very much!

Harleigh Williams
Quaife Aftermarket Manager
thats funny,

about 1.5 months ago I finaly got the funds. I called Quaife America Directly and got ahold the person directly incharge of the Scion tC project. I gave him payment in full and he told me that a few people had dropped off the "reserve " list and he'd put me in the running for one. After that I called Quaife ....um....just about every week...lol I got updates and when it finaly came in I had him overnight it to me so I could get in the car as soon as possible.

all I have to say is the customer service at Quaife is by far the best in the whole automotive industry. never had any problems with them and no matter how much I pestered them they were allways willing to speak to me and help me with any issues I might have had.

Who is doing the install for you? A shop, friend?
I have a shop that doesn't specialize in "performance" tuning but works with supras and many expensive imported autos. (again very good business, they have never turned me down or been unable to do anything for me that I have asked them to do)

::Update::
Well I don't have the car this weekend, it had to stay in the shop because no dealers stock the OEM berrings for the Diff. so they had to get the stock ones off my car. It will be ready for pickup monday night.

not sure the vids will be up this week because I will working a movie that is being filmed here in Atlanta and that may take up all my time. but if I get a chance this week I will put one up....

(plus I found out today I have a friend who can get me as many partly used tires for free as I want from a local dealer... so there will be many many clouds of smoke around my area.. hopefully...)
Old 05-21-2006, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wats an lsd?
Old 05-21-2006, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/Drug_Guide/LSD
Old 05-21-2006, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

The Above post states one kind of LSD... I do not recomend that one.

Originally Posted by bronxblaza117
wats an lsd?
but heres what is getting installed.

In automotive applications, a limited slip differential (LSD) is a modified or derived type of differential gear arrangement that allows for some difference in rotational velocity of the output shafts, but does not allow the difference in speed to increase beyond a preset amount. In an automobile, such limited slip differentials are sometimes used in place of a standard differential, where they convey certain dynamic advantages, at the expense of greater complexity.

The main advantage of a limited slip differential is found by considering the case of a standard differential where one wheel has no contact with the ground at all. In such a case, the contacting wheel will remain stationary, and the non-contacting wheel will rotate at twice its intended velocity – the torque transmitted will be zero and the vehicle will remain stationary. In everyday use on typical roads, such a situation is very unlikely, and so a normal differential suffices. For more demanding use however, such as driving off-road, or for high performance vehicles, such a state of affairs is undesirable, and the LSD can be employed to deal with it. By limiting the velocity difference between a pair of driven wheels, useful torque can be transmitted as long as there is some friction available on at least one of the wheels.

for more useful information follow the like below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

hope that helps!
Old 05-21-2006, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah, but the quaife is technically not a limited slip differential, but an automatic torque biasing ("atb") differential.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Hey Complication can you give me info so i can get further information onhow to get it?
Old 05-21-2006, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ohhhhhhhhhh i get itttttt...lol... so u can jus add a lsd to our tC's?
Old 05-21-2006, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ohhhhhhhhhh i get itttttt...lol... so u can jus add a lsd to our tC's?
Sure...just drop the transmission, open it up, don't lose any of the little parts, remove the stock diff, and drop in the Quaife. Then close up the transmission again and put it back on the car.

It's that easy

It is most likely an expensive installation if you don't have the know-how or tools to do it yourself.

Quick Reply: I'm a One wheel Wonder no more! (Quaife LSD is here!) :Pics: