Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Increasing tC's Rev Limit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't race domestics. Never have. My dad did that and still does. I cut my teeth on Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis at places like Sears Point, Willow Springs, and Second Creek. The three C's: carbs, cams, and compression. The other three C's: confidence, control, consistency.

You may not like the attitude, but racers race to win. Tuners race to learn. A lot like IT. Computer people like cool toys. Business owners want to make money, not buy cool toys for the IT staff.

I do what you do for free. Because it's fun. I don't need a company to fabricate anything for me, I can do it myself. And I don't need to turn a profit, so there's no hidden motivation for anyone to question.

For example, I've already installed 4 Fidanza flywheels in tCs including my own. At no charge to the owners. Because it's fun. And I'll do the same thing with the 2AZ head I bought. Port it, test it, publish the results. Because it's fun.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lo_bux_racer
I don't race domestics. Never have. My dad did that and still does. I cut my teeth on Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis at places like Sears Point, Willow Springs, and Second Creek. The three C's: carbs, cams, and compression. The other three C's: confidence, control, consistency.

You may not like the attitude, but racers race to win. Tuners race to learn. A lot like IT. Computer people like cool toys. Business owners want to make money, not buy cool toys for the IT staff.

I do what you do for free. Because it's fun. I don't need a company to fabricate anything for me, I can do it myself. And I don't need to turn a profit, so there's no hidden motivation for anyone to question.

For example, I've already installed 4 Fidanza flywheels in tCs including my own. At no charge to the owners. Because it's fun. And I'll do the same thing with the 2AZ head I bought. Port it, test it, publish the results. Because it's fun.

Enjoy the head install, it sucks. My best advice to you, drop the engine out the bottom. Makes for a much easier install.

Charles
Old 09-23-2005, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-23-2005, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to steer to far off topic, but how long did the install take? And would you recommend someone like myself with moderate experience to do the install.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

feel the love comin back?
haha...j/k

seriously, thanks for all the posts. i'm happy 2 be able to read all this info as i'm continually learning more about the tC's strengths and weaknesses.

following the "Ferrea valves" thread among others, i just wish the tC had more aftermarket internals out by now.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to steer to far off topic, but how long did the install take? And would you recommend someone like myself with moderate experience to do the install.
The first one took 4 hours. The second took 3:15. The third took 2:45. The last one took all day because we were in no hurry at all, and we had some good beer to drink along the way...

Experience isn't the only factor with a clutch install. Just like the front swaybar, you have to partially lower the front subframe. You also need some way to support the engine because you have to remove three of the four engine mounts to get the gearbox out.

I bought this one:

I'd buy this one if I did it again. Best of all, I ordered it on Wednesday at 11 am, they shipped 2 day, and it was on my porch on Thursday at 2 pm. Hard to beat that.

Anyway, if you don't have a support bar, you'll need an engine crane or something to hold the engine up. I can't tell you how much easier it is with the support tool. We did mine without it. I don't regret spending the money at all after that fiasco. I've done it before with a jack under the engine, but the tC just doesn't like it at all. The engine mounts are WAY too flexible.

There are a number of tricks I learned, and I've thought about writing it up, but just haven't made the time to do it. Maybe this weekend.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lo_bux where are you located?
Old 09-23-2005, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sacramento, CA.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

doh!

ok nm
Old 09-24-2005, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are a number of tricks I learned, and I've thought about writing it up, but just haven't made the time to do it. Maybe this weekend.
Please, that would be so helpful
Old 09-24-2005, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

all of this talk about higher revving

but all of you are aiming for TURBO

how bout NA

revving to 7 is ok with stock everything? or is it not? im scared to do it at 6.5 because of no power
Old 09-24-2005, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it would be easier on your car naturally aspirated
the pressure, heat and high rpms with a turbo going that high would demand more of your engine

if you want to rev that high, you need to get with a good tuner, and build the car to do such a thing. cars normally rev that high because they replace the crank for a shorter stroke and keep the power by having accompanying pistons to maintain the relatively high compression ratio.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you look at the stock configuration dyno, there's no point in spinning the engine any higher than the stock redline. Torque is dropping like a rock above 6k rpm, and horsepower is already falling off too. Still, the OEM internals will rev to 7500 before you are in any serious danger of piston or rod failure, and reports indicating 7500 may even be conservative have shown up on this board.

So for an NA configuration to make bigger power, you're going to need more torque at high rpm. You modify the cams, head, intake, and exhaust to support more airflow at high rpm to make more torque. In doing this, you sacrifice torque at low rpm. So just imagine flipping the torque curve around so the high end is on the right and the low end is on the left. That's what happens when you optimize power for high rpm, which is also what you need to do for an NA engine to be more powerful than it is today.

It works great for a racecar because you are only worried about pulling hard from a low engine speed when you are leaving the pits. The rest of the time you aren't in the powerband, you're abusing the clutch heavily to stay near the powerband. You can't really do that well on the street unless you want to spend a lot of money on clutches.

Not only will you be spending money on clutches, but you'll have to spend quite a bit on modifying the internals for gains that will be very modest next to any turbo setup pushing even moderate (10-14 psi) boost.

It's a lot easier, cheaper, and more reliable to use a power adder like forced induction with a relatively small displacement, that's why all the tuners are working to deliver them. It makes a lot more economic sense.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

my head started hurting after 1/2 of page 2 lol but it was fun to read! i also like to learn more about my car everyday thats why i love scionlife becuase there is so many peopple that know alot about cars on this site that are willing to share their knowledge about cars. my hat goes off to you guys. and thanks (for making me feel smarted than i acctually am lol)"
Old 09-26-2005, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

same here.......
Old 09-26-2005, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow..for not working @ ZPI looks like I guessed the correct *safe* redline for their product that I dont even own or have personally inspected. ....Honestly I wish I could just get a job working in a performance shop.

Horsepower starts as a facination, then grows to pure excitement....then you find yourself as just a junkie to it. Now I sit here looking at myself...fresh out of college, way too much money poured into an education with a computer science degree and I would trade it all away to feel butterflies from g-forces on a daily basis.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You want to do the Paul Newman thing: find something lucrative to pay for your racing habit. That's why he started acting...
Old 09-26-2005, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the utmost respect for Paul Newman, dang fine racer, really like his non profit business operation and he could act on the side to pay for it all

A long time ago buddy of mine, lost contact from to many military moves, was the photographer on the team when Paul won a couple of championships. My buddy had nothing but vern nice things to say about him, just an all around really cool guy but most importantly a dang fine racer

He just turned 80 and can still drive very well, that is something to aspire to!!!!

Rick

P.S. I have never been a hero worshiper, could care less about what other people have acheived, just have a special appreciation for Pauls accomplishments as a fine human being.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

just as i expected

haha i dont wanna lose my low end tq. i enjoy it a lot actually.

maybe one day when i get bored of it and want something lik ... vtec.... ill rebuild it for high end power
Old 09-26-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You want to do the Paul Newman thing: find something lucrative to pay for your racing habit. That's why he started acting...
or just like whats his name tyson bradford lol man what a crappy drifter but he has the cash to be drifting a custom 05 saleen mustang so i guess thats cool hahaha that cocky bastered