Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Ingalls Damper Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Default Ingalls Damper Install Question

Hi,

I have an Ingalls Damper, which I got used, for my 2005 tc. And i was using this thread to help me with the install:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...301120#2301120

When I initially installed the unit I drove around for awhile and found that, when sitting
at a light in Drive (I have an auto) I would get REALLY bad severe noise. I also used dynamat on both mounts of the unit and used some cloth reinforced washers just as in the thread.

SO, i took the unit off and went back and looked through the thread to see if there was somewhere I might have went wrong. That's when I got to the part of adjusting the "Pre-load" of the stiffy.

In the install thread pics there is a 14mm measurement shown, since the distance is supposed to be in between 10 and 15. There is even some room in between the two large nuts that are measured.

HOWEVER, when I took my unit off and apart, and measured the distance from the top of the pre load to the bottom of the set screw, as in the article, there seems to be a major difference in the way the distance is measured. If you look at the following picture you can see that the distance Im measuring is ALREADY about 16mm, which is already past the 10-15mm window. And notice that it is 16mm with the two nuts as close as they can possibly get to one another...which means I cant make the gap any smaller. If I try to widen the distance to kind of look like the picture's distance...the distance is like 20mm or more....

Picture of my 16mm supposed "gap":

so it's impossible for me to get within that 10-15mm window.

so im wondering, is there some other measurement I am supposed to use maybe? Are there different or older generations of the stiffy for the tc that might use a different distance window? Or am I just measuring wrong....and yes, I am using a MM ruler.

any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-23-2008, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 2 nuts and space = 14
you have it set to ten in shot
Old 05-23-2008, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

10 is the stiff setting and wow it rattles
the have a how to on swapping out the end links for some polyurethane, i did and it cut down. but you will still shake
Old 05-23-2008, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

in the shot 10mm marks the top of the first nut to the top of the of the second nut

the install instructions say to measure from the top of the first nut to the bottom of the second nut, in which case the shot is approx 16mm. because there is no space at all between the two nuts...which is me trying to show you that 16 is the smallest measurement I can possibly get since the two nuts dont go any closer together than what is shown in the pic

and i didnt really understand ur second post lol

help pleaseee
Old 05-23-2008, 09:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go to home depo or lows and get a new ruler that one is wrong if i had my car with me id get a shot but it looks like you ruler is messed up lol i had the same problem look at number 7 photo on the link you posted that is a true millimeter ruler,
Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you print that out off the computer?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to prove my point hold up a 16mm tool to the prat and that will show you its not right, do what i dot go to a hardware store find a old guy who works their and ask him about it