Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Ingalls Engine Torque Damper review (released today)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BOXMAN
Hey Ray THANKS FOR THREAD HI JACKING. Your brackets bend and break thats a supported fact by owners of your so called "great" product. Want to know why Tc buyers will buy the Ingalls one over your because INGALLS dosent release products before they have been tested. That torque dampner of yours has been nothing but trouble. Now you come into a review thread and HI-Jack it to boast about the fact that your first try at a dampner was a joke and now you have to replace them and redesign them because you didnt take time in your R&D. What a joke! I have had this piece from Ingalls on my car since Aug. and have had three different brackets on my car. Why you might ask because the first 2 designs had failures so a redesign was needed. Now i have had the production piece on my car for three months with no signs of fatigue or bending in the metal. Not just an observation but verified by Ingalls R&D department. INGALLS has put you in your place on this part by releasing a quality part that works fits and is well priced. So please go push that rear bar while you still can cause Ingalls has you beat there to.
I think I'm gonna go buy a WR dampener because of this. Yeesh, chill out, dude. Ray made one technical post with a little attitude and one post saying "competition I don't mind" and both are pretty on par with the topic at hand.

Good job, you've lost Ingalls a customer.

JK, I'd never judge a product on the attitude of a person. Just thought someone other than WR should feel what it's like to 'lost customers' just because of a inimical post.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is fine if you want an inferior product buy it. I am stating my strong belief in how well this product works and how confident i am in the design. And yes i am mad at Ray he always posts about how great his products are but never is the first to admit there is a problem with a product when a problem arives ( unless presured on the forums by several owners)
Old 12-10-2005, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

peanut anyone?
Old 12-11-2005, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BOXMAN
That is fine if you want an inferior product buy it. I am stating my strong belief in how well this product works and how confident i am in the design. And yes i am mad at Ray he always posts about how great his products are but never is the first to admit there is a problem with a product when a problem arives ( unless presured on the forums by several owners)
Who says I want to put it on my car? I think they're pretty so I'm using them as decorations for my girlfriend's purse.

Anyways, I have an actual question because, despite some unprofessionalism on the part of a spokesperson (remember the parable of the soup ****!) I'm still interested in Ingall's damper. When installed with Dynamat, that was inside the engine bay. Won't it heat up to the point that the adhesion fails?

Also, I guess this is a question for schwettynuts, I'd love some peanuts just not yours, but do you suppose that there would be no noticeable vibration of Dynamat or like materia were to be used on the inside of the car too?
Old 12-11-2005, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The pressure of the top plate on the strut holds it in place and dynamat is very heat resistant (sp). The best place for no noise is under top strut bracket. BUMP
Old 12-11-2005, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

The dynamat is between the bracket and the strut tower and the bracket is bolted down. So the dynamat wont go anywhere even if it is not glued.

IMHO, it really depends on the car. BOXMAN got **** load of modification but he doesnt have sturt bar. The only power mod i got is TRD exhaust but I do have a strut bar. So Boxman gets different sound result than I do. So if your car is stock and has stock muffler, probably youll notice the noise more than a person who got a loud muffler, header, CAI etc. I also think that the age of the car will affect it. My car is newer than Boxman's, therfore the connections all over the chasis are stiffer than his a little. This might be one of the reason why I notice more vibration than he did without the dynamat. The strut bar might be a factor too. So your question about the dynamat i guess is all depend on how creative you are. Putting it on the bracket helped alot but I think it could improve you add dynamat somewhere else (maybe the other side of the strut bar.. i dunno.. be creative).
Old 12-11-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dynamat Xtreme can fail at 500 degrees Fahrenheit. By mounting the mat underneath the strut bracket, I can see why that would work - but to place it around the top of the bracket, while I'm sure that would further decrease vibrations felt, I'm also pretty sure that on a hot day after a bit of driving sitting out in the sun with the engine off the engine bay may hit around failure temperatures for Dynamat Xtreme.

But I'm guessing you mean sandwiching one strip underneath the bracket and one strip between the damper bracket and the strut bar? Huh.. sounds good.

Would, perhaps, loosening the dampening show noticeably less vibration?

The strut bar I'm sure will increase the vibrations felt as they both serve the same fundamental purpose - stiffening.

Oh well, we'll see!
Old 12-12-2005, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

500 degrees? i think your paint would start melting off the hood. i think the dynamat extreme can survive a hot day
Old 12-12-2005, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's for dynamat Xtreme. Original dynamat can fail at 180 degrees at once or a lower over a period of time.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
That's for dynamat Xtreme. Original dynamat can fail at 180 degrees at once or a lower over a period of time.
from dynamats site.......

Description
Dynamat is a polyether, urethane-based, thermo-acoustic foam with a reinforced aluminized facing and a pressure-sensitive adhesive on the application side. Dynamat is designed to be die cut to shape and then applied in a vehicle's engine compartment to the underside of the hood. The adhesive side is smooth, ensuring complete contact with the underlying surface without any air pockets of channels. Both material and adhesive can withstand temperature ranges between -40°F and +225°F (-40°C to +107°C).

and if you would like to research it.....

http://www.dynamat.com/
Old 12-12-2005, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And if you would like to research it....

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/heat/
Old 12-12-2005, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
And if you would like to research it....

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/heat/
Thanks for the info ... It looks like dynamat extreme for me...what does pricing look like for the higher temp products?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Extreme is pretty expensive. RAAMmat can be had for significantly less AND it's owned by a member of SL.

Rereading my post, I realized I sounded a little acrimonious..

Let me help you out:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=92496

RAAMmat is the best value out there. It doesn't have the same heat resistence as the premium brands but if you're not sticking that stuff in the engine bay it's ok. RAAMmat failed at 240 degrees which is very hot..

If you're getting Extreme for use with the damper in the engine bay, it's about 4.80 per sq ft. I would go with Damplifier though at 2.40 per sq ft. It didn't fail at all (but would fail similarly to Dynamat Extreme after a little more time) and costs less.

If doing the whole car interior, RAAMmat.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wouldn't you only need about a 6 inch peice of dynamat for the engine damper though?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'd probably use less than that. Your nearest audio store will have local price for such small quantities.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dampner just arrived today and can't wait to install it. For those of you who've seen the instructions and/or installed it already, do I need to fully remove my strut bar, and once removed will I be able to put it back into place easily? I know it says a floor jack and jack stands are required but since I don't see them in the instructions themselves I'm a little uncertain.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...304&highlight=

I would remove the plastic fasteners first and take the strut bars off.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:59 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

I saw and posted in the other review thread... but I thought I would add it here as well.

As a bit of info for everyone...
I was recently informed by a moderator of another site that purchased the dampener from us that he replaced the rubber o-rings with a teflon or polyurethane washers/bushing from home depot (.50 cents each) and a majority of the noises and vibrations were even more severely suppressed. I think it would be a great addition to the dynamat people use.

Anyway, thanks for a great review of an excellent product, we sell these all day long and everyone has been ecstatic with them, no complaints from anyone. As a vendor here we have them for sale at this thread: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96381

Tai
Old 12-15-2005, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IAmTheProdigy
Dampner just arrived today and can't wait to install it. For those of you who've seen the instructions and/or installed it already, do I need to fully remove my strut bar, and once removed will I be able to put it back into place easily? I know it says a floor jack and jack stands are required but since I don't see them in the instructions themselves I'm a little uncertain.
You really do not need floor jacks.(just a strong back) If you have a "threaded" strut bar you can leave the bracket on the side you are not working on..If you have any questions on the installation just call or email ingalls. Ingalls prides themselves on exceptional customer service and have installed thousands of these things..
Old 12-19-2005, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is a copy of another product which also sucks and makes your car sound horrible on the inside. Dynamat will be like hot tar on your paint during summer. Waste of money unless you hit the track weekly and need that extra 1/10th.

YES I had one installed..you can click on my link below to see pics. I took it off because I'm not driving a 06 that sounds inside like an 1985 diesel rabbit.

Quick Reply: Ingalls Engine Torque Damper review (released today)