Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Initial impression of the tC power band

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 04:35 PM

BTW when checking the throttle to find what a jackass I am, I noticed something that made me kinda sick. The OE battery (same as the one in the lex so I know the f'er is heavy) is sitting behind the headlight, on the driver's side to make it even worse.

I see in that battery's future, and it isn't in the engine bay anymore.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

LOL Im planning on directing my battery to the trunk too one day. but hmm i would like to say MS (Mega Squirt) doesnt sound too much like anything that would have to do with cars. If you guys know what i mean.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are we moving the battery to the back so there is less weight over the tires that like to spin so much, so it's even harder to gain traction?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:00 PM

This car isn't going to see strait line I think. Stardust is going to start Autox'ing in my IS, and hopefully she will run the tC later on (with a tranny cooler of course). Taking that weight away from the understeer happy zone that it is, and putting it behind the driver and on the passenger side should make the car more curve happy.

I am coming from a RWD mindset, so I guess this could be totally flawed and its a good thing to have all that weight in the front. But I thought all cars strive for that 50/50 balance, unless your building a drag car.

Speaking of front wheel spin (corner wise) does anyone make an LSD for this car?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by mengsta
LOL Im planning on directing my battery to the trunk too one day. but hmm i would like to say MS (Mega Squirt) doesnt sound too much like anything that would have to do with cars. If you guys know what i mean.
LOL, Peter North doesn't have anything to do with it haha.

Its a DIY standalone that one has to finger out in order to get it to run on a particular car. Added hurdles are if you are using the OE igniter, the OE crank wheel, sensor, OE air intake temp sensor (built into the MAF) and OE coolant sensor, among other hurdles such as making it CEL free.

The price is DAMN right if you feel you can get it working. I have the v3.57 board running MS2extra, lots of features available for this thing. I'm waiting for the VVTi control firmware to be finalized and looking forward to maybe an anitlag/missfire firmware to be developed (I don't think I need it and it fries the turbo damn skippy, but man does it sound badass haha).
Old 02-01-2008, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

token- nice pics. though i've never seen a stock motor IS300 with a full roll cage. :D props though. whats the aristo swap consist of? turbo and head?

there is a LSD...but not for auto tranny don't think.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by SePaTc
token- nice pics. though i've never seen a stock motor IS300 with a full roll cage. :D props though. whats the aristo swap consist of? turbo and head?

My friends and I are corner/canyon/road course types of guys (hoping to make it out to the streets of willow event this Feb 8th but I don't think my brakes will be done then), so the body bracing, coil overs, darren (westend) corner balance/alignment and all that ish got done first, and has priority.

The Aristo swap is the whole engine. Its awesome, you get GTE internals, GTE oil squirters (more squirting in my posts, I'm must be a perv), twin turbos, bolt on all in one package, for less than a bolt on turbo kit. It requires a fair share of labor and I guess its "bolt on'ness" can be a matter of one's opinion, but to me its a no-brainer to go with. I don't want over 400hp (where the OE twins fall off), it looks stock (yes officer, it came this way), and the GTE bottom end is bullet proof.

Electrically I shouldn't have a problem, but I need to ramp up on welding skills as I'd like to be able to do the small things myself and not have to take every little part needing special attention to a shop.

Sucks on the LSD, oh well.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Token
Originally Posted by SePaTc

The Aristo swap is the whole engine. Its awesome, you get GTE internals, GTE oil squirters (more squirting in my posts, I'm must be a perv), twin turbos, bolt on all in one package, for less than a bolt on turbo kit. It requires a fair share of labor and I guess its "bolt on'ness" can be a matter of one's opinion, but to me its a no-brainer to go with. I don't want over 400hp (where the OE twins fall off), it looks stock (yes officer, it came this way), and the GTE bottom end is bullet proof.

Electrically I shouldn't have a problem, but I need to ramp up on welding skills as I'd like to be able to do the small things myself and not have to take every little part needing special attention to a shop.

Sucks on the LSD, oh well.
so, its just a 2jzgte (supra) swap...... why call it an aristo swap? and if its a swap, its not really bolting anything on, is it??? well, yeah, obviously if you're getting a whole 2jzgte engine, you'd be getinng gte internals too.

2jzgte is good for upto about 450whp on stock twins with the right tuning. the OE clutch should go before the turbo's max out.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:55 PM

Yeah, it'll be good for about that power but I don't want to push far past their efficiency, and the JDM (where the engine is coming from) 98+ GTE uses the weaker ceramic turbines so they are hampered a little more than the usdm twin turbos. If I want more power, I'll go single, no doubt. A rebuilt by marlin crowler R154 plus propper clutch will be putting the power down, the stock W55 isn't good for much over 300rwtq.

It could be a supra 2jz-gte, if its a 98+ model. Its the 98+ 2jz-gte's (w/ vvti head) that use the same engine mounts, thus making this "bolt on" to me (I know, bolt on should mean like headers or something). I could use an older 2jz-gte but then I would have to have motor mounts fabbed up.

The reason its called the Aristo swap is its very hard to find a supra VVti 98+ engine. But the same engine is scattered all over Japan in the Aristo, the JDM version of the GS300, except for the motor and tranny of course.

The swap has been around for a while now, and I know a guy personally that did it in San Diego. Not too many walls to hurdle when you have a good parts list and game plan. I'm just being patient, I want my financial and job status exactly where I want it before I go forward with it. (Just came back from Kuwait, need to settle in).

More OT on the tC, I heard the tC's engine is pretty darn stout. Read in a magazine way way back that a company in Florida upped and upped the boost to the point that they started getting head lift, but nothing broke down. Good sh*t.