Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Injen CAI being delivered today (Tuesday 13th)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Injen CAI being delivered today (Tuesday 13th)

I need to know some precautions about how to aviod getting a CEL after installation of the CAI. I've done a search and I've only noticed that I should let the car idle for about 10 to 15 minutes before driving it. Is there anything else I should know?

BTW, how long will it take for install? Some have said it takes about an hour and something minutes, but I have never installed a CAI before. Does the bumper have to come off? And, will getting a higher octane gas improve the power the tC puts out?
Old 06-13-2006, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And, will getting a higher octane gas improve the power the tC puts out
lol no.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Disconnect the battery as soon as you open the hood. Then when install is complete drive around like a granny for a few minutes, then get on it and show the ECU whats new.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

UPS just delivered my intake. Felt like christmas again! Took some pictures of the box and the contents. Now I need to install it.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:04 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

take your merry time and be patient with the second pipe.... it's a tricky puzzle that just needs to be wiggled in the right way... don't force it.

also... when you remove your MAF sensor... disconnect it and set it aside somewhere completely safe until you're ready to put it back in.

also... no higher octane.... pointless and there are plenty numerous threads discussing that.

and then.. you don't need to remove the bumper... your wheel and the plastic fender piece you need to peel back should give you enough room.

do not hesitate to contact me.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Chris from NVS is gonna help me install it. He has done many intake installs before so it should be easy for him. I'd like to try and keep my bumber on.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

coming from a 17 yr old with no car experience it took me literally 2 hrs. but after that.. (had to take it out and put it back in secretly becuase of my parents) took 30 minutes.

there hasnt been a case that ive read that theres been a CEL from an intake.. but i did have one when i reinstalled my stock one because i forgot to put one of those hoses on.. the one from the actual engine to the intake. but i put it back on and CEL was gone.

while youre waiting for you ECU to relearn the intake.. you might as well reprogram your sunroof and windows. becuase you disconnected your battery. its simple. you just got to search for it on here.

i took off the bumper becuase it was so much more EASIER to work with.. i did try to do it without taking off the front bumper but i ahd the hardest time working without it off. so id suggest to take it off. it takes like 5 minutes.. honestly take your time when installing. as SquallLHeart said.. take care of the MAF cause that cost a lot of money.. and the second part of the intake takes a bunch of wiggling but it will get in if you take your time and dont get frustrated like i did. but if you do get frustrated, just take a break and cool down and get down to busy again..

and as everyone has said.. no for higher octane gas unless you are F/I ie: Supercharger or Turbocharger

as SquallLHeart said pm if you need help.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ I like your turbo fund kid, but hiding it from your parents is going to be hard unless you go with a zpi stage 0 and dont get the oh so sexy fmic. lol
Old 06-15-2006, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

tong... you should have no probs with chris helping you. just take your time and you will be fine.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Well I did it in 1hr. The install was pretty straight forward except when you gota put in the cold air pipe.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep we got it in and it's great! It revs louder in the higher RPMs. Well, there you have it, my first performance mod. We had a hard time wiggling that second pipe in but we got it in. Bumper did come off though. And yep, no CEL.

BTW, drove a 350Z today...very fast!!!

Thanks Chris.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah, we didn't even disconnect the battery. Chris did something, I wasn't sure what he did. He mentioned the fuse box.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

unlimited77 dont worry about that.. ill probably drop the turbo in after im out of my parents hands. keep in mind i still have college to get through before i do anything SERIOUS to the car. even if i did get a turbo.. id get a black FMIC to hide it behind my grill.. id like to stay sleeper..