Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

INJEN CAI INSTALLED - CAR WONT START!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default INJEN CAI INSTALLED - CAR WONT START!

I need your help everyone!

I installed my new Injen intake as a short ram but my car would not start. It sounds as if the car kicks over (my exhaust helps to better hear the car) but after the first revolution it just dies. All the hoses are connected correctly, the MAF and all wires are connected correctly, in good condition, and installed onto the Injen pipe as best as possible. We even moistened the O ring on the MAF so that it would fit better, but no luck. We then reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 minutes, reinstalling it, and letting the car idle for 15 minutes. We finally got the car to start by giving it some gas when we turn the key. The check engine light is on and the car seems to be in "SAFE MODE" (I think I read about this somewhere on ScionLife). I cannot rev past 2,000 RPM while moving or past 4,000 RPM while in Park and stopped.

We then tried it as a CAI (that is, with both pieces of the Injen pipe so that the filter is further away from the MAF) but the same thing happend.

Lastly, we took out all of the Injen stuff and put back the stock air cleaner assembly and the car is still screwed up - the only way to start it is to give it gas when you turn the key and I still cannot accelerate past 2,000 RPM.

Has this happend to anyone else? Does anyone know the solution? Please help!

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2005, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you follow the installation instruction, it's hard to screw it up. I think the only instrument one may screw up is the MAF. May want to double check the wire/connection of the MAF. Of course, bring it back to the dealer is the easy way out.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It sounds like you a messed up the MAF....

If not then pop the fuse cover under the hood and check the fuse labeled ETC i think that is what it is...it may be ETS it is something of this sort.

If this does not fix it give us a call tomorrow and we can help you figure it out.

-ZPI
Old 06-27-2005, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow car does not work because of the CAI mod.... weird...
Old 06-27-2005, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont be surprised if the window switches dont work on your car either just mess with them turning your car on and off and holding them down for more than ten seconds at a time also, and they will work again. i dont know what to say about your engine though good luck
Old 06-27-2005, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it def sounds like a MAF problem. Ive had similar experiences in the past on my tacoma from off roading. It sounds like in your process you damaged the sensor and your ecu is not reading it correctly
Old 06-27-2005, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what did you moist the o-ring on the MAF with?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Harman
If you follow the installation instruction, it's hard to screw it up. I think the only instrument one may screw up is the MAF. May want to double check the wire/connection of the MAF. Of course, bring it back to the dealer is the easy way out.
It's 7 AM right now and we're having my car towed to the dealer. Wish me luck!
Old 06-27-2005, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by ZPIracing
It sounds like you a messed up the MAF....

If not then pop the fuse cover under the hood and check the fuse labeled ETC i think that is what it is...it may be ETS it is something of this sort.

If this does not fix it give us a call tomorrow and we can help you figure it out.

-ZPI
Thanks for the help guys. We check out some of the fuses but I'll run outside now and check that one out!
Old 06-27-2005, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by rideincircles
dont be surprised if the window switches dont work on your car either just mess with them turning your car on and off and holding them down for more than ten seconds at a time also, and they will work again. i dont know what to say about your engine though good luck
Yeah that scared me at first lol. Just gotta hold the driver window switch UP for 2 seconds and then the passenger side UP for 2 seconds. Sunroof = CLOSED for 5 seconds. Phew!
Old 06-27-2005, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have another question everyone: Is the MAF really so delicate? All we did was remove it from the stock intake and move it out of the way without unplugging it. We didn't throw it around or anything.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Juan1224
I have another question everyone: Is the MAF really so delicate? All we did was remove it from the stock intake and move it out of the way without unplugging it. We didn't throw it around or anything.
yeah, but you lubbed it. with what might I ask? I'm not trying to be a smartass, but like the saying goes "If it aint broke, don't fix it". Injen's instructions did not call for any lub on the MAF so that it will fit better. Follow directions to a "T" and you wouldn't have problems. I didn't have no problems what so ever, when installing the Injen intake.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree.. wtf do you lube a maf with?
Old 06-27-2005, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OMG ur doomed :T
seriously no joke, imroperly installing engine mods can void warrenty :T
let's pray that you don't
Old 06-27-2005, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah that scared me at first lol. Just gotta hold the driver window switch UP for 2 seconds and then the passenger side UP for 2 seconds. Sunroof = CLOSED for 5 seconds. Phew!
Make sure you leave everything back stock leave no evidence.!!@!
Old 06-27-2005, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by acasanova
Old 06-28-2005, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by acasanova
I took it to the dealer with all the stock stuff back in and they are going to fix it by Wednesday when the new MAF comes in, yes, it's under the warranty. PHEW! Thanks guys!
Old 06-28-2005, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
yeah, but you lubbed it. with what might I ask? I'm not trying to be a smartass, but like the saying goes "If it aint broke, don't fix it". Injen's instructions did not call for any lub on the MAF so that it will fit better. Follow directions to a "T" and you wouldn't have problems. I didn't have no problems what so ever, when installing the Injen intake.
It's not like i let it soak in WD 40 over night dude, chill! We just used a damp paper towel. We read on a post that it might help make a better seal. As far as following instructions to a "T", we did. Thanks
Old 06-28-2005, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im glad you changed the car back to stock
Old 06-28-2005, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by raWr215
OMG ur doomed :T
seriously no joke, imroperly installing engine mods can void warrenty :T
let's pray that you don't
shaaaaadddddddddddddddddaaaaaaaap

Quick Reply: INJEN CAI INSTALLED - CAR WONT START!