Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

injen CAI question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 05:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default injen CAI question?

Do you have to take your car apart everytime you want to clean the air filter with the injen CAI? That is what I gather from the design?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, you also need a air filter cleaning kit. maybe one from k&N. you have to spray the filter and dry it up outside, so yeah, you do need to take it apart. just the filter.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

yeah you'll prob have to undo a few things under the bumper and possibly the wheel well but I think if you take a few bolts off the bottom you should be able to get your hand in there enough to yank it out....
Old 09-08-2005, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there pics of an install online? I dont want to take my car apart each time I clean the filter. I have read some things that you have to take the front bumper off to install it. Some other cars you just havet to fender well out...
Old 09-08-2005, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by bacho
Is there pics of an install online? I dont want to take my car apart each time I clean the filter. I have read some things that you have to take the front bumper off to install it. Some other cars you just havet to fender well out...

for me it was a pain in the Glute... it took anout 2 and a half hours....I took off half of the bumper, the wheel as well as the wheel well... it took for ever!! to do it right (no scratches...) thats what you got to do... now thats not to say itwasn't worth it! id deff was...esp when you take off that little black cover down at the bottom of the bumper, the air gets sucked into the cab...as well as it sounds soooooo good! besides...you paid for the whole thing why not use it! if not ...I'll buy it off you...lol
Old 09-08-2005, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now I know for sure I'm getting the Weapon-R. Thanks guys.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Just take the front bumper off... it's a piece of cake to do.... don't let other posts fool you.... Then the filter is right there to be worked with...

I love my CAI and take my bumper off all the time...
Old 09-08-2005, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 1/2 hours?? WOW!!! This must be your first time doing that cause it doesn't take that long at all even to do it "right". All you really have to do it take out the fender liner. It's mad easy. Besides how often are you gonna clean it. Even if you're really worried about it you'd do it like once every 3 month but realistically twice a year. I swear some of you guys will try to scare the hell outta ppl. Just cause you're slow doesn't mean things are hard. Holla!!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
Now I know for sure I'm getting the Weapon-R. Thanks guys.

don't get me wrong! I love the Intake..I would have gotten this one nomatter how long it would have taken...but hey if a little work makes you sweat, this prob isn't the intake for you...... but its real niiiiiccccce!worth every drop of sweat.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not that a little work is the problem. Taking the car apart repeatedly for a routine maintenance issue is too much of hassle considering another product giving the same performance results doesn't require anything to be removed from the car to be maintained. Time is money afterall.

I buy parts based on 3 things; performance, price and maintenance req. It just seems the Weapon-R edges the Injen out in all 3 categories, that's all. I don't care what name is stamped on it.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Just make the Injen Short Ram... Then you'll not have to deal with it... but there's nothing like that huge tube going down into that side... BEAUTIFUL.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know that power cost in all aspects, I just dont know if I want to take the car apart everytime I go to clean the filter.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I only said that you got to take the car apart when you install it!... otherwise it's literaly 4 bolts and a screw or 2...its all in knowing how to put it back together.... i'd prob take like 15-20 mins...less if you know what you are doing.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do you have to take out to clean the filter? the fender well???
Old 09-08-2005, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

What do you have to take out to clean the filter? the fender well???

most likely not... if anything all you have to do is un hook 2 bolts of it... you can get to most of it through the bottom of the car by undoing a few hooks...I'd show you picutres of what I mean if I wern't so darn lazy....if you get down under there you'll see what I mean...
Old 09-09-2005, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea.....taking off the front bumpers isn't very hard. There's just a couple of bolts u gotta lossen and pop that sucker off.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by tc913
yea.....taking off the front bumpers isn't very hard. There's just a couple of bolts u gotta lossen and pop that sucker off.
jsut remember where everything came from cause the bumper may look as if it is on (cause it will snap inplace) but if you dont have all the bolts and clamps on right ...you could be runnung over it when it falls off on the highway... remember where everything goes and you will be fine...its not that hard!
Old 09-11-2005, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I would have the dealer install the CAI, but if I have to take the bumper off everyrtime I want to clean the filter, now that is a different story. What about sucking water into it because of the location. I live in houston where it rains a lot...
Old 09-11-2005, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im sure not that much water would go in because it is covered by that plastic on top of the wheel and on the fender. in case water does go in, buy a bypass vlave, 3 inch byapss by aem should work from what i have heard. im thinking of buying one too when it starts raining here in cali.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Well I would have the dealer install the CAI, but if I have to take the bumper off everyrtime I want to clean the filter, now that is a different story. What about sucking water into it because of the location. I live in houston where it rains a lot...

the whole point of a CAI is to take advantage of the cooler air down under the car...the only way you will "hydrolock" is if you go through a huge puddle and it gets dipped into the water... just getting it wet is not going to hurt it...I mean, not only does the water have to go up the tube it also has to go upinto a HOT tube... if little bits of water get into your pipe its most likley to evaporate....water will only get to the TB if there is no other air to intake...(I.E. submerged or dipped filter)..

Quick Reply: injen CAI question?