Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Injen CAI-stock headers-TRD Exhaust-S & Mid Pipe add pow

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 05:54 AM
v12
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Injen CAI-stock headers-TRD Exhaust-S & Mid Pipe add pow

If i have my setup with a CAI - Stock header - trd axle back exhast and switch out my stock S pipe and mid pipe with ZPI's or another competitors brand, will i notice any performance gains as far as power? will this add rasp? i really dont want to go with headers becuase of that.

btw i have a auto - i should be around 140whp without these s/mid pipe mods correct?

thanks in advance
Old 08-16-2006, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably a little less. Stock Auto's dyno around 12Xwhp, your likely around 130 something. It will give you power, and it will add noise...but rasp I dunno???
Old 08-16-2006, 08:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a tsudo n1 catback, zpi s-pipe, injen cai and stock headers and i notice gains. it pulls more. i can only imagine what would happen if i added a header..

but that's about right. high 130's, low 140's approximately. adding pullies will also yield extra ponies.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

CAI will add no noticeable gain.. dont go by the "dyno proven" numbers they advertise.. that is one number at some specific point in the band.. and having run the tC without one, then with and without one again I can say that you will notice nothing more than a nice sound.

TRD axleback is like a CAI.. sounds awesome, maybe adds 1 WHP.. which you wont notice a bit.

Dont know about the spipe.

And again.. I am sure people will try to argue.. but lightweight pullies do not add power.. they allow the engine to rev faster. Once it is at steady state, you actually have less rotational mass, thus less inertia, but no more power. You can show me dynos from advertisements all you want.. but all I can say is that the electric supercharger and turbonator also claim dynod results.. even have "testimonials" from people.

As I always do.. I have asked many to show me track times before and after adding an intake, pulley, etc... and amazingly enough, they never seem to provide them. They are sure willing to provide thier current timeslips.. which are amazingly close to what others run without any of those mods.

As far as your stock power, yes, you are somewhere in the mid 120 whp range, I would say you wont even break 135 with the mods you are listed, and if you do.. it will be a peak gain number only.. which means almost nothing. Its the effect across the band you want.

But on the flipside.. I was given my K&N CAI, which is why I used it. It sounded great and looked great... broke the mounting point due to thier crappy design which is why I took it off. Didnt provide any noticebale performance gain and any gain in mileage (that part is 100% myth.. and I actually noticed a drop in mileage.. but I dont consider a few mpg average taken over two months statistically sound enough to go by.. so I say negligible effect) but it sounded nice

The TRD axleback is what I am running, and couldnt ask for anything better sound wise. It sounds very nice.

The spipe and exhaust will probably yeild the most. But never, ever go by the "dyno" claims of any product.. even if they are valid.. you need to see where the power is and how much of the power band is affected.

Just some more info.. sorry for the long post
Old 08-16-2006, 04:43 PM
v12
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks, very informative post
Old 08-16-2006, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes i agree with engifineer. a cai alone will not gain anything.. you'll get gains out of a I/H/E setup.. but that's about 10hp. maybe even less. bolt on's really doesn't help for auto's.. get turbocharged
Old 08-16-2006, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

engifineer... I'll happily provide before/after trapspeeds on either side of a NST crank pulley install. I'm sure a lot of people would love to see it.

When it comes to power gains, a lot has to do with "frame of reference" and pure psychology.

While full boltons might shave .5-1 second or so in the 1/4, which isn't much thinking realistically( count "one thousand one"... is that enough to justify $700 ?)... a lot more people become more happy with their cars with the mindset of "i improved it."

This increased happiness is worth the money, horsepower or not.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and to the original poster....

I am running sans-aftermarket header. I honestly think it's a better way to go overall. You won't be as fast, yet, you'll be MUCH quieter, sound better, pass emissions, be able to run STS autocross, and can legally sell the car at anytime without reinstalling stock header.

In a smog-happy state, I'd worry even more, but I like the fact that I can basically drop the whole car habit, and not have to change anything on my car to comply with anything.

I love my car more, after resintalling the stock header. The guy I gave my megan header to might think otherwise.