Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Injen CAI Voids warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member

Default Injen CAI Voids warranty?

i had just ordered my injen cai, but now im having some second thoughts on it. after reading a few threads im actually regretting ordering it. the main issue that bothers me is how some people have installed the CAI and having the CEL come on either for the MAF sensor or something with the cat. i was wondering if there was anything that could prevent this from happening.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

I've heard that it only voids the warrenty if the dealership (or repair shop) can prove that it was infact the CAI that did the damage.. This is true with most warenty's (however Carmax has seemed most difficult in understanding this policy), This is what I heard, but I'm sure more insightfull people will let you know how it works. I know more people who have had successful DIY's then people who have had this issue, if you really want to be safe have a autoshop do the work to the car.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

there is no cel for installing the intake.. you must be doing somthing really wrong to get that on...
Old 08-08-2005, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

call nexus industry and ask for O2 sensor difiuzer.
It eliminates check engine light.
you can go on teir web. and get their phone nr.,
that part is not shown on the web,you need to call.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Re: Injen CAI Voids warranty?

Originally Posted by sup3r8oy22
i had just ordered my injen cai, but now im having some second thoughts on it. after reading a few threads im actually regretting ordering it. the main issue that bothers me is how some people have installed the CAI and having the CEL come on either for the MAF sensor or something with the cat. i was wondering if there was anything that could prevent this from happening.
if you continue readong the same threads where those people get a CEL after improperly installing their CAI... you will find that it is eventually corrected. typically its all user error that results in a CEL off of a CAI install. and please dont ask about a set of headers throwing a CEL... use the search.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member

Default CEL

No it doesn't throw a CEL. Just follow the instructions provided with the intake to install it, you can't really go wrong, just read over it a few times. I have never done engine work and i installed my own intake after finally gaining courage after it being stored in my closet for 2 months. Its EASY, INJEN is a good choice in intake, don't 2nd guess it... its top of the line. once you get that intake on u'll be addicted to modding!!!!!!!!!! also it doesn't void your warrenty unless the dealership can prove that it had a direct effect on the defective part on ur car. i've had it for 3 month, and no problems..... !

Goodluck,

Kapil
Old 01-02-2006, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The intake will not throw a cel if you are carefull with the maf sensor removing from old and carefully installing it the intake. The reason it throws cel is the o-ring on the maf sensor is small. If you center the sensor in the intake you should be fine.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are that concerned you could always hold on to your original OEM intake and reinstall it before you go back into the stealership for maintenance and whatnot
Old 01-02-2006, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dealerships like to be dicks and scare people so they buy parts from them. install the CAI according to the directions, then let the car idle for a few minutes. the main reason you get a CEL is because the MAFS sees too much air comming in due to a less restrictive intake and the car starts running a little lean, just reset the battery if you get a light and let the car idle again. dealers like to say you got oil on the MAF which is a crock of ____ 50% of the time, if anything just wipe down the filter with a paper towel just in case and worst case you have to very carefully clean the MAF. rest assured if you install it right, your car will not blow up and the dealer will have no right to void your warranty.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didnt buy extended warranty because i think its a piece of crap and waste of money.

TOYOTA.

it is QUALITY CARS.. had toyota since 94's? STILL RUNNING STRONG!

Dont drive stupid.. if you drive a auto.. let it gradually shift.

If you drive the hell out of your car.. prepare for HELL to come out.

Its common sense.

Do your oil changes and find out when you need to do the other maintenance (tuneups/re-alignment/etc)

I do my own oil. And i installed my own CAI (after saying to my self.. this is my car. i'll destroy it)

Just read, this forum helped me the most.

Take care of your car thats all.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

These posts pop up every now and then. Their has been a sticky posted on this before. I have no idea what happend to it, but ill give you the break down quick.
No dealership can EVER "void" your warranty because of aftermarket parts you bought and put on yourself...EVER
Its agaisnt the law....plain and simple.
However, what they CAN do is refuse to fix a problem under warranty if they decide its a result of an aftermarket part you installed.
So, so you get...I dunno...dirt in your throttle body and they claim that it was as a result of your CAI that you installed....theyll fix it, but not under warranty....BUT, your warranty will STILL be in place.
So...if something goes wrong with your throttle body later, and they decide it had nothing to do with the CAI....it can be fixed under warranty still (as long as your warranty hasnt expired)
Old 01-03-2006, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you unhook your bat when installing and then let idle for a few you should be fine.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

as long as you install the intake right and be careful with the sensor you should be fine. if you do get a CEL check the vacuum lines. there has been some cases of people connected them wrong or being blocked by being bent
Old 01-04-2006, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CELL
These posts pop up every now and then. Their has been a sticky posted on this before. I have no idea what happend to it, but ill give you the break down quick.
No dealership can EVER "void" your warranty because of aftermarket parts you bought and put on yourself...EVER
Its agaisnt the law....plain and simple.
However, what they CAN do is refuse to fix a problem under warranty if they decide its a result of an aftermarket part you installed.
So, so you get...I dunno...dirt in your throttle body and they claim that it was as a result of your CAI that you installed....theyll fix it, but not under warranty....BUT, your warranty will STILL be in place.
So...if something goes wrong with your throttle body later, and they decide it had nothing to do with the CAI....it can be fixed under warranty still (as long as your warranty hasnt expired)
it may be against the law but this has accually happened to me... i owned a 2003 mazda protege and a dealership voided the warrenty of my car due to a injen intake. only after we took them to court was the car deemed a lemon
Old 01-05-2006, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have my injen intake as short ram and it takes like five mins. to put on and take off so i swap it for the stock air box when i go change my oil...but my warranty is gonna have to go sometime if i wanna keep ddin parts to my car.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mods, you may want to lock this.

Please use "search" next time, red botton towards top of the page right next to "memberlist". This topic has been covered for all; xb/xa and tc. Tons of threads about how you can't void a warranty without a aftermarket part causing oem parts to fail (need more info search), hydrolocking (unless driving through 5ft of water, you wont), power gains, MPG, mph whatever else its been discussed. If after you search you can't find it, then post. But this topic has been several times.