Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Injen Short Ram Intake Retrofit - Pixs

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Injen Short Ram Intake Retrofit - Pixs

Based on a post by Zac, I got myself a 02-03 Camry Injen short ram instake and completed the installation during the weekend. Overall the installation is straight forward. Well, not quite, my friend and I customed make two brackets to hold things in place. Shown in the pics below:

Sorry picture is kinda dark

Close up. I wonder why mine does not come with a carb approval sticker.

Like the blue cone. Note that we made a simple bracket to hold the vacuum switching valve in place because I don't want to let the valve dangling around and squeeze the tube. I don't think SW intake come with a mount to hold the valve too. Not too sure about KN.

Close up on the bracket that mount the vacuum valve. There is an extra hole (next to the valve) in the intake that I have to plug it with a bolt and gasket (supplied) combination.

Finally, another custom made bracket to hold the intake in place. Again, a simple sheet metal screw and L aluminum beam are used to make the bracket. The best place to hold it is between the existing "airbox mounting hole" and the heat shield. I want to make sure there is no excessive vibration of the intake during full throttle acc. It hold in place very well and very sturdy. So, here it is.

After installation was completed, I follow the "informal" procedure to start it up and let it idle for 5 minutes. And checking for leaking and mounting problems. Then, took it for a spin. And man, I immediately noticed a nice "whistling" sound came out of it. Very noticeable even in 5th gear when you press on the gas. Sound like turbo LOL if you dig that kinda thing. The first hundred mile is used to break in the filter and the engine sound very throaty and deep but a little bit unnatural. However, after 100 miles, the sound smoothes out and man, is that loud. Power gain is noticeable in the upper rev range and accompanied by the muscle car-like growl and nice whistle sound. Note that I have TRD exhaust. There is no raspiness at all. So far 200++ miles and no CEL. Will post a sound clip later.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, what do you think?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

id like to see a dyno of it. imo its too close to the engine. heat shield or not its too close. but a good alternative to the SW and K&N. this could also be a home project for someone. you could buy the intake. then if you wanted to make it a CAI just go to home depot buy the piping you need, couplers and cut the pipe to fit and you have a home made CAI. could be fun.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i deff like it. i kidna want to wait for the injen cai though, but its really nice
Old 05-10-2005, 07:15 PM
zac
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice work bro! looks good, im confused though because it didnt come with the "metal plates on it. oh well

mine says "cyborg intake system" "dyno proven products"

how much did you pay?

BTW- gmoney- i have made homemade intakes before and enjoyed the time and the performance, i just measured the intake and got pvc pipe scedule 40 put it in a "bender" and then bought a cone filter and painted it,
that was on my 97' tercel, and it worked great but from now on i think illl buy trusted name parts.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I paid about $212. Yeah, I agree that the cone is kinda close to the engine. Anyway, I am thinking about adding an extension either a aluminum or copper tube in the future. Right now, I am happy as is. I might even add a smaller tube inside the tubing to create a vacuum effect to draw in more air.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:50 PM
zac
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you leave the tubing in the fender in place and remove your foglight covers?

also make sure if its rubbing your battery at all, that you put some adhesive padding to ensure that your battery stays unharmed. Just in case