Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Injen vs. TRD vs. Precision muffler exleback exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On the tC there is no difference between a catback, and axel back. This is because, the axel is located at the cat. Anyway, I don't have any links to dyno reults on the injen right now. Do some net searches, and you can find some.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Originally Posted by 05_scion_tc
Originally Posted by BoomBox757
I would say the Precision axleback, the trd sounds "ricey" IMO
the TRD does not sound "ricey".... it is a clean deep tone.
not from the inside of the car, but let someone else drive your car and see how it sounds
Old 01-22-2005, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

i have and its not ricey.
i think your not thinking of the same kinda rice sound. Debbie2go doesnt want the tin-can sound... and the trd i know for sure does not make that sound.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It depends on your taste in looks IMO. I think the TRD looks sexy!!!! Some people wonder why all that extra pipe was used. It was used to fill that area where the stock muffler goes. The Magnaflow looks like ___ as does the Injen.

Dont know if this is the only Magnaflow offered right now. Wow, UGLY!!!!

Not bad but nothing like the TRD looks.

From about 50 feet back the TRD is the best looking exhaust. As for sound, the TRD is the richest IMO. However it is loud for just an axle-back. My mom drives her car everday and has had nothing but good things to say about the TRD exhaust. I find myself walking outside just to watch and listen to her leave the house. I think the TRD sounds sexy extreme!!!!! It gets my vote.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for all the input. In CA, cat backs are prob. for the exhaust, cuz in the Sac valley, they have stink meters on freeways sometimes, that can measure the emmisons coming from the car.
And, as to just a muffler, where can I go to have one for the tC installed? I went to a muffler shop in Rancho Cordova, and I was told that due to the position of the muffler, it would cost $320, I think that was just to route the muffler and pipe to make it fit. Ouch. For that price, I want the whole system.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by RoryC
Originally Posted by Souljah347
why bother with the axleback? just throw on a borla muffler or magnaflow muffler you'll get the same effect and save money. the axleback systems have no power gain.
You have no idea what your talking about. The Injen and DC cat-backs have about a 6-8HP increase alone, and with a perforamnce CAI or Header install, will increase to an all around 20hp increase.
hey dumbass read what i wrote AXLEBACK not cat-back.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by mach5
why bother with the axleback? just throw on a borla muffler or magnaflow muffler you'll get the same effect and save money. the axleback systems have no power gain.

you have no clue
stop posting
axlebacks do nothing but make noise. they show at most 3hp increase at the crank.... so thats like .3 hp tops at the wheels.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for all the input. In CA, cat backs are prob. for the exhaust, cuz in the Sac valley, they have stink meters on freeways sometimes, that can measure the emmisons coming from the car.
And, as to just a muffler, where can I go to have one for the tC installed? I went to a muffler shop in Rancho Cordova, and I was told that due to the position of the muffler, it would cost $320, I think that was just to route the muffler and pipe to make it fit. Ouch. For that price, I want the whole system.
Cat-backs shouldnt be a problem in Cali. As long as the cat itslef isnt touched/modded in any way you should be legal.

Also that shop, are you sure that wasnt $320 for a full cat-back??? $320 for installing a muffler is hella expensive!!!! I know a place that charges $30-$40 for muffler installs.
To tell you the truth, just wait a little longer for some exhaust systems to come out. Its just a matter of time before other companies make performance mods for the tC.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you have no clue
stop posting
axlebacks do nothing but make noise. they show at most 3hp increase at the crank.... so thats like .3 hp tops at the wheels.
wrong
trd axleback on the celica gts got more to the wheels than any other catback

you don't need to redo the exhaust system on alot of new "tuner" cars because cars are getting more and more efficient
Old 01-23-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
Scikotics
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

you have no clue
stop posting
wrong

you don't need to redo the exhaust system on alot of new "tuner" cars because cars are getting more and more efficient
I would like to see a dyno on that or some kinda proof, b/c even if the TRD axleback did make some power the TRD cat-back would still make that plus more.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wrong
Cat-backs for the Celicas are axle-backs. Pretty much all of them just replace from the rear axles and back. Celicas gain more power with no exhaust.
Axle-backs should gain any power. Its like adding a muffler on a Civic. If they do gain power then.......uhhhh good for it.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:47 PM

wrong

The celica and the tC are two different vehicles or else the celica exhaust system would fit on thew tC. The axle back on the tC will only give you a HP gain of about 2HP. Adding a CAI does help it out too.

Originally Posted by Mx6GT91
It depends on your taste in looks IMO. I think the TRD looks sexy!!!! Some people wonder why all that extra pipe was used. It was used to fill that area where the stock muffler goes. The Magnaflow looks like ___ as does the Injen. Dont know if this is the only Magnaflow offered right now. Wow, UGLY!!!!
The correct magnaflow for a perfect tone and fitment would be the axle back designed by us here at Precisionmuffler.com. A perfect design for the right amount of backpressure and volume control for a Precision Tone!

And of course I know that magnaflow is going to come out with their own cat back too. So be that as it may, if you are going to add more power to the tC than I recomend a catback. But if you just want sound than the axle back may be the best way to go. Having a catback with not enough power to help it along will just be a waste of time. I hope that this helps with any question to purchasing a catback or an axle back.

Old 01-23-2005, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you have no clue
stop posting
wrong

ask an exhaust guy the axleback gains are worthless. with all the restriction from the cats an axleback really don't do much. stylis says 2hp, is that at the crank or the wheels? anyway he as alot of experience with exhausts, he does it for a living. i'd like to know what your creditentals (spelling) are. and he's not the only one that says it btw, my stepfather owns a custom shop and he said the exact same thing.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by 05_scion_tc
I would say the Precision axleback, the trd sounds "ricey" IMO
the TRD does not sound "ricey".... it is a clean deep tone.
nope its ricey, to be honest i havent heard the injen but ive heard trd and precision and precision cat back added alot of power actually on the dino, the dino showed 140hp @ the wheels and 138lbs/ft at the wheels (might be the other way but basically 140 140) and no header or intake or ne really option (besides supercharger) has added that much from what the companies have showed on the dino... and ya alot of you are like well you only say that cuz ur sponsored but if you ask neone in my crew (team NVS) they have asked me that if i honestly had a choice which would i chose... i said the magnaflow from precision honest to god.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:34 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

gabe does a good job, all of his sound sweet
Old 01-24-2005, 02:03 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Horsepower gains can be talked about over and over again. Everyone has an opinion to what they think is best, but when someone posts the dyno sheets, then there is no arguing.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

let me come at it like this...

unless you do some type of forced induction, cat-back or axel-back horse power gain is a silly thing to think about. bottom-line is...YOURE NOT GOING TO GO VERY FAST. i have an injen intake, dc headers, and injen axel back...and i did those mods cause i wanted a certain sound and to attempt to make the little 4banger a bit more effeicient.

you all are talking about horsepower like you think youre going to get some where FAST in the thing...pls...if thats the case, you should have got another car.

for what its worth, gabe at precision or ken at michael's will be able to take care of you, and you'll know it was done RIGHT.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:37 AM

I am going to dyno the tC we sponcered again, but tomorrow I will have to post up the dyno numbers we did get. They were good numbers but we want more. :D

gabe does a good job, all of his sound sweet
Thank you boombox. Much appreciated.

stylis says 2hp, is that at the crank or the wheels?
To the crank To the wheels is 1hp gain, if that. I really hate to say that, but I am here to help out the scion folk.

Old 01-24-2005, 02:44 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by xB ey

unless you do some type of forced induction, cat-back or axel-back horse power gain is a silly thing to think about. bottom-line is...YOURE NOT GOING TO GO VERY FAST. i have an injen intake, dc headers, and injen axel back...and i did those mods cause i wanted a certain sound and to attempt to make the little 4banger a bit more effeicient.

you all are talking about horsepower like you think youre going to get some where FAST in the thing...pls...if thats the case, you should have got another car.

for what its worth, gabe at precision or ken at michael's will be able to take care of you, and you'll know it was done RIGHT.
^^^Werd!^^^

Like I stated in another post, these are 108hp commute type cars, with the exception of the tC which has the Camry motor.

These are not EVO VIII MRs, or Ford GTs, or Corvettes.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by squirrel
Originally Posted by xB ey

^^^Werd!^^^

Like I stated in another post, these are 108hp commute type cars, with the exception of the tC which has the Camry motor.

These are not EVO VIII MRs, or Ford GTs, or Corvettes.
ive owned all of those... they arent that fast

Quick Reply: Injen vs. TRD vs. Precision muffler exleback exhaust