Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Installed Camcon VVT-I controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whoa there buddy. complete sentences LOL

the camcon does adjust the VVTi
Old 07-23-2005, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got my camon yesterday thanks to lastlookcustoms.com

only problem i have now is do i install it or sell it. i only have k&n's cai and only plan on keeping the car for a year or so....
Old 07-23-2005, 07:21 AM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

krayzie los, i'll buy it from you. paypal now. lets go

-taek
Old 07-23-2005, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you turn it on and don't make any adjustments, is it running with the stock curves or does it 'zero' everything out and you have to program at least the stock curves? i know if you turn it off you get the stock curves back, but i was just wondering.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

So... Anyone have dynos? And gas milage with this thing installed?
Old 07-24-2005, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

its just like the safc hook it up runs on the stock ecu settings till u change it
Old 07-24-2005, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im sure you could tune it either way. i had a carb 85 civic and i threw a 34 dmtr weber in there and played with jetting for quite a while and i could tune it to get better mileage when flooring it than idling (i fixed that real fast of course). in that car it seemed like running it slightly rich all the time improved torque (especially midrange) and kept same mileage as stock. i would love to do that with the tC hopefully give the top end a little more as it tapers off past 4k and just makes noise at redline, but mine is auto so maybe the gearing is not to my advantage ;P
Old 07-24-2005, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by _Keith_
its just like the safc hook it up runs on the stock ecu settings till u change it
ok let me get this straight.

hook it up, turn it on: it is using stock ecu settings.

therefore if you make a change, say advance the cam timing 1 degree at xxx rpm then it will advance it on TOP of what the stock ecu is already doing, right?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes

that's the definition of a piggyback
Old 07-24-2005, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

got it. thanks. as you can see im used to screwing in/out jets rather than punching in +/-1 to make it richer/leaner
Old 07-24-2005, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's a fun learning experience. i made the transition about 5 years ago from CARB to TBI to EFI
Old 07-24-2005, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Krayzie_Los

only problem i have now is do i install it or sell it. i only have k&n's cai and only plan on keeping the car for a year or so....
how did you get it from a forum? i went to the site, and all it is, is a forum???

Old 07-24-2005, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by yesti
got it. thanks. as you can see im used to screwing in/out jets rather than punching in +/-1 to make it richer/leaner
Used to be there as well It is fun though.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by t6c9
Originally Posted by Krayzie_Los

how did you get it from a forum? i went to the site, and all it is, is a forum???

he did a group buy which he posted on on scionlife a couple months ago.....
Old 07-24-2005, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

gotcha... pictures?

has anyone found it funny that the guy who started this post has only posted twice and neither time were there pictures or info???

anyway... after some long hard searching, i found a site where we can buy the vvt-i controllers... it's $398.00, but the shopping cart option isn't available yet because they're working on the site. i'm gonna contact them and see if possibly we can get a bulk buy on them if enough people are interested... either way, i'm ordering mine within the next couple days. PM me if your interested, or just start a list on this post. they have dyno sheets stating 17hp depending on how you tune it.

Old 07-24-2005, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why do you need pics? I'm sure he didn't have it custom painted or changed out the LEDs... if you've seen the product, just imagine it in a tC, there you go. Pics? What the hell for? "Oooh, it looks gooooood! I'm gonna go ahead and spend $400 'cause it looks so gooooood."
Old 07-24-2005, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

??? they just came out and they're hard to find... pictures are proof smartass
Old 07-24-2005, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...292&highlight=

That was in May. Two months now and it came out before that thread was made... when does a part stop "coming out?" Without pics, what's gonna happen? You're going to all flame him for starting a thread and getting your legs wet for nothing? 90% of you aren't going to buy one anyway...
Old 07-24-2005, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HyperZ
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...292&highlight=

That was in May. Two months now and it came out before that thread was made... when does a part stop "coming out?" Without pics, what's gonna happen? You're going to all flame him for starting a thread and getting your legs wet for nothing? 90% of you aren't going to buy one anyway...

you may be in that 90%... but i'm not

Old 07-24-2005, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OutCrnrU, only adding confirmation and hope that this repost is OK in your thread.

This is the original Dyno run, the car is stock accept for the DC header and DC Axel back exhaust. You do not need to have a bunch of mods for the Camcon to work for you.

This Dyno bolts to the hubs, no wheels and the ambient temperature was down about 10 degrees. We gained 10 whp and 10 more ft/lbs of torque to get to 157.9 whp and 165.6 ft/lbs torque. Remember, every Dyno will be different and I MADE NO CHANGES TO THE TC when this run was done.

More pictures here for you http://www.scionetics.com/photos4.cfm?albumID=2
Orignal post
Due to the high temperatures in Arizona, above optimum ambient temperature, altitude and Dyno’s, the overall whp published will vary from prior TC reports. Please keep in mind that this is to present the gains the CAMCON can improve your performance on a mostly stock TC. Please DO NOT be overly critical on the top whp, only that on an even playing field the whp top line numbers and gains would be similar.

Conditions
State: Arizona
Altitude: 1500 above sea level
Humidity: 10%
Shop: Dyno Comp 2 Scottsdale Arizona
Dyno: Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer nicknamed the “heart breaker”
Outside Temperature in the shade: 104 degrees
Shop ambient temperature: 93 degrees
Hood closed
Pump Gas: 91 Octane no boosters.

SCION tC 05,
Standard Transmission
Intake: Stock, NO CAI
Header: DC Sports
Exhaust: DC Sports axle back
Wheels: Stock 17” with Potenza factory tires.

We have three final runs on the chart

RED: Starting base line, Stock intake, (NO CAI), Header: DC Sports, Exhaust: DC Sports axle back, Wheels: Stock 17” with Potenza factory tires.

BLUE: Final tuning of Camcon, with outside temperature of 103 degrees, 1 ˝ hours of tuning and 46 pulls on the dyno. Engine heat saturation was two high as we continued to see a decrease in whp as the session went on. Pat from Power Enterprise experienced the same issue on the test Celica and was required to allow the car to cool down for several hours.

GREEN: Final run after cool down, a second session was performed the following day. The outside temperature is 88 with an ambient temperature of 85 degrees. The tC was allowed to cool to normal operating temperature. Three pulls were made laying down three identical passes. The whp increased across the entire bandwidth with a consistent and smooth response. The torque bandwidth also showed significant gains especially in the low/mid power band.

On average a 6 to 7 whp from 3000 to 4500 RPM with high band of 12+ whp increase between 4500 and 5500 RPM and a slight roll off until red line. The CAMCON, is simple to install with easy tuning, excellent gains for the money and a must have mod to those looking for additional whp.

Quick Reply: Installed Camcon VVT-I controller