Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Installed Camcon VVT-I controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i still haven't found a tuner smart enough to tune it for me. the last one told me a VTEC controller would work with it.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by yesti
Originally Posted by _Keith_
its just like the safc hook it up runs on the stock ecu settings till u change it
ok let me get this straight.

hook it up, turn it on: it is using stock ecu settings.

therefore if you make a change, say advance the cam timing 1 degree at xxx rpm then it will advance it on TOP of what the stock ecu is already doing, right?

Yep

I mean if people dont get it search on the net for it and read...
Old 07-25-2005, 01:01 AM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

good post.

-taek
Old 07-25-2005, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
i still haven't found a tuner smart enough to tune it for me. the last one told me a VTEC controller would work with it.

Actually it is pretty simple, install the Camcon and leave it turned off and run the base line. This will be your overlapping reference line. Leave the AF setting alone for now.

1. Set the timing to +5 across all settings up to 6500 RPM settings. Do two consecutive pulls and save the graphs. Name it +5.
2. Set the timing to +10 across all settings up to 6500 RPM settings. Do two consecutive pulls and save the graphs. Name it +10.
3. Set the timing to +15 across all settings up to 6500 RPM settings. Do two consecutive pulls and save the graphs. Name it +15.
4. Set the timing to +20 across all settings up to 6500 RPM settings. Do two consecutive pulls and save the graphs. Name it +20.

Now do the same starting at 0 and go negative settings as you have done before.

1. Set the timing to -5 across all settings up to 6500 RPM settings. Do two consecutive pulls and save the graphs. Name it -5.
2. Set the timing to -10 across all settings up to 6500 RPM settings. Do two consecutive pulls and save the graphs. Name it -10.
3. Set the timing to -15 across all settings up to 6500 RPM settings. Do two consecutive pulls and save the graphs. Name it -15.
4. Set the timing to -20 across all settings up to 6500 RPM settings. Do two consecutive pulls and save the graphs. Name it -20.

Now take the original pull or baseline and overlap each of the pulls you have just completed above. As you overlap each of the pulls you will see gains and decreases in the power band. Note each 500 RPM setting on gains or looses were archived based on a + or – timing setting. We simply took a printout of the original pull as a scratch sheet and at the 500 RPM range just noted to either add or subtract timing. As you look up the RPM scale you will start to notice the timing graph forming.

After you think you have a good idea of the timing settings program the Camcon, then run a base line and look for any dips. If you find some go back to your graphs and double check your numbers for any misses.

Keep in mind that you’re counter acting the factory MAP setting, which we do not know what that is. Addtionally each modification will affect the settings

A/F will be based on your intake modifications, since I do not have a cold air intake the A/F was mild. I would use similar settings as above but be very careful not to lean out the engine and damage it, go easy.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

way to go Kelly
Old 07-25-2005, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thats a ton of cash on the dyno for 10HP. Not knocking you at all, cause I am interested in the Camcon, but everywhere I have seen that number of pulls would cost way more than 10HP is worth to me. It would be better once I had say, a turbo and the unit installed and did it all at once, but not sure I would go through all of that for 10HP.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeeeah... that's entirely too much dyno time. 8+ pulls? that sends the price of a tuned camcon wayyy up
Old 07-25-2005, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scottsdale, great write up on how to tune it. I may consider tuning it myself after seeing how you did it.

yeeeah... that's entirely too much dyno time. 8+ pulls? that sends the price of a tuned camcon wayyy up
If you're tuning, never pay by the pull, pay by the hour. I doubt places even charge by the pull for tuning (unless they're trying to rip you off). If you're going to tune yourself, an hour of dyno time at shops around here cost about $125 p/h. A $150 - $175 p/h if you want one of their techs to tune for you. Yes, it's definitely an added cost, but that's a given for any piggy-back ECU. I would hope anyone buying a CamCon or any other piggy-back ECU would know that, and wasn't hoping to buy it an tune it in a few dyno passes. Just a part of the research involved before buying a product.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ Thats why I mentioned waiting until you had added some other significant power mods first. Even if you could do it in a few hours, which isnt allowing much cool down and tuning time you would have around $350 in tuning. so $700 - $800 for 10 HP. For $500 + gaskets, head bolts (I am pretty sure toyota uses stretch bolts which must be replaced each time) and self install I could have a ZPI head and around 15 - 20 HP gain according to the last info I heard from them.

I still think it is a cool product, but I would rather wait to tune it with a turbo installed to justify the tuning costs.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
^^ Thats why I mentioned waiting until you had added some other significant power mods first. Even if you could do it in a few hours, which isnt allowing much cool down and tuning time you would have around $350 in tuning. so $700 - $800 for 10 HP. For $500 + gaskets, head bolts (I am pretty sure toyota uses stretch bolts which must be replaced each time) and self install I could have a ZPI head and around 15 - 20 HP gain according to the last info I heard from them.

I still think it is a cool product, but I would rather wait to tune it with a turbo installed to justify the tuning costs.
Then after you add that ZPI head, and other mods, you go out and get a CamCon to richen the A/F a little (ZPI says it runs really lean w/ a Stage 1) and get another 10 - 20 whp.

I agree, definitely a mod to do after you've done what you plan to do to the engine. Unless you have free access to a dyno, lol. As for using it with a turbo, it doesn't seem robust enough to me. Seems like an Emanage would be better suited for F/I.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thrawn
Originally Posted by engifineer

Then after you add that ZPI head, and other mods, you go out and get a CamCon to richen the A/F a little (ZPI says it runs really lean w/ a Stage 1) and get another 10 - 20 whp.

I agree, definitely a mod to do after you've done what you plan to do to the engine. Unless you have free access to a dyno, lol. As for using it with a turbo, it doesn't seem robust enough to me. Seems like an Emanage would be better suited for F/I.
Cool, that part about using it vs emanage with turbo was some good input! I will keep that in mind later on. Also, I did not know about it running lean with the head kit either. If I end up with the ZPI head or one similar, then adding the camcon would definitely be worth it then. A 30 - 40 WHP gain would be very nice on the NA engine!

And if you know of anyone giving away time on a dyno in the twin cities, i wouil love to know their name
Old 07-25-2005, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you tune a N/A engine 'on the road' expect to spend a LOT of time doing so. I must've changed jets at least daily for months and months (maybe even a year ;P) until i got it sweet. The a/f meter i installed part way through of course helped tremendously, even though it was for a narrow band.

Speaking of a/f meters, i have searched and read (sorry Keith!) that we have a broadband o2 sensor (the first one). can anyone verify that as i also found posts saying it is a narrow band and not worth it to even watch the signal.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by t6c9
Originally Posted by Krayzie_Los
i got my camon yesterday thanks to lastlookcustoms.com

only problem i have now is do i install it or sell it. i only have k&n's cai and only plan on keeping the car for a year or so....
how did you get it from a forum? i went to the site, and all it is, is a forum???

Go to the gallery section of the website...then go to I think gallery #2...You could PM him too since you already know that you want the Camcon and you could just send him money thru paypal....Im gonna install my camcon this week and hopefully hop on the dyno...if your interested in seeing some numbers check the xA,xB power hungry forum. Cant wait to run a tC when im done
Old 07-26-2005, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go to the gallery section of the website...then go to I think gallery #2...You could PM him too since you already know that you want the Camcon and you could just send him money thru paypal....Im gonna install my camcon this week and hopefully hop on the dyno...if your interested in seeing some numbers check the xA,xB power hungry forum. Cant wait to run a tC when im done
i've found a place to get it from but thanx for the info... i'd be glad to run ya but ya better come before i get back from NOPI nationals in sept. as soon as i get back the ZPI head and AR- Fab. turbo kit are goin on... after that i don't think you'll have much of a chance... i'm not diss'n your xB though. it looks like you've done good with it so far. keep up the good work... check out my cardomain site and see whats goin on with my car. havn't updated it in a couple months but it'll giv you an idea.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by t6c9

i've found a place to get it from but thanx for the info... i'd be glad to run ya but ya better come before i get back from NOPI nationals in sept. as soon as i get back the ZPI head and AR- Fab. turbo kit are goin on... after that i don't think you'll have much of a chance... i'm not diss'n your xB though. it looks like you've done good with it so far. keep up the good work... check out my cardomain site and see whats goin on with my car. havn't updated it in a couple months but it'll giv you an idea.
I will be posting pics tommorow so everyone can see the setup...for some reason I cant get my dads camera to download the pics...gonna take some new pics anyways. Everything in my gallery is old, I dont even have those chrome wheels anymore...I got a set of Axis mod 7 w/ the maxxis rear lip now. As far as you and your turbo of course im gonna get beat But im still willing to bet that the box will hold up to any tC w/ H/I/E setup from a roll...holding boost all the way through w/ the auto tranny...good looks on the props
Old 07-26-2005, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thrawn
Scottsdale, great write up on how to tune it. I may consider tuning it myself after seeing how you did it.

If you're tuning, never pay by the pull, pay by the hour. I doubt places even charge by the pull for tuning (unless they're trying to rip you off). If you're going to tune yourself, an hour of dyno time at shops around here cost about $125 p/h. A $150 - $175 p/h if you want one of their techs to tune for you. Yes, it's definitely an added cost, but that's a given for any piggy-back ECU. I would hope anyone buying a CamCon or any other piggy-back ECU would know that, and wasn't hoping to buy it an tune it in a few dyno passes. Just a part of the research involved before buying a product.
Correct, Dyno time is by the hour and I paid $175 for 11/2 hours. If you take the cost of the Camcon of let’s say $400 plus $175 your into to it for $575.00 for 7whp across the band and conservatively 14 whp above 4500 RPM. It may take a CAI, header and axle back to get that much gain and would be at least the $575.00 or even higher.

It is what you’re into and the Camcon has been a simple and cost affective performance upgrade.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

heres the link...put the pics up this morning if you guys havent seen them yet https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74879
Old 07-26-2005, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sexy

boosted box
Old 08-08-2005, 07:27 AM
5 Year Member

i just installed my camcon last saturday... only 5HP increase, but seeing my VVT-i engine is still stock, that's quite impressive!
Old 08-08-2005, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Put mine in yesterday...it will stay off till I hit the dyno this week

Quick Reply: Installed Camcon VVT-I controller