Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Installed Camcon VVT-I controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 09:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is there any way to install this without tapping into the wires. i know for example, unichip is plug and play. the stock harness plugs into the unichip and the unichip plugs into the ecu. is there an adapter/wire harness that would allow this? if not, i think someone should do this. heh. i know with my old car, my accord, people installed apex vafc with a frog harness which turned it into plug n play.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If anyone wants a camcon, I sell them for 375. Pm me if interested....
Old 08-09-2005, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by isis
i just installed my camcon last saturday... only 5HP increase, but seeing my VVT-i engine is still stock, that's quite impressive!
5HP increase? what did you tune it to?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
i just installed my camcon last saturday... only 5HP increase, but seeing my VVT-i engine is still stock, that's quite impressive!
Kept it to run on lean mix as i have yet to upgrade my exhaust system. also told the tuner not to over tune now as i still have other plans for my car.

increased only 5HP, from 82.88 to 88.76... 0 to 100 used to be 11++ seconds , now it's 10.46 seconds

US is sellin camcon rather expensive, i must say. i did mine for RM1550 (413.72USD), including installation and dyno run.

got it cheap as i was the guinea pig i guess
Old 08-10-2005, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

This sounds very interesting, I could have sworn the last thread I read about the camcon resulted in almost no gains at all. If you can get up to 10hp from using this and tuning your engine- well, that's appealing to me.

My only question is, are there any long-term effects on the engine? Can using this cause premature wear or damage? Thanks, and sorry if this is a stupid question

edit: oh, and after tuning for increased HP, how was the MPG affected?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chaos_Being
This sounds very interesting, I could have sworn the last thread I read about the camcon resulted in almost no gains at all. If you can get up to 10hp from using this and tuning your engine- well, that's appealing to me.

My only question is, are there any long-term effects on the engine? Can using this cause premature wear or damage? Thanks, and sorry if this is a stupid question

edit: oh, and after tuning for increased HP, how was the MPG affected?
Don’t forget this is a universal unit. The thread which stated no gains was referring to the 1NZ in the xA/xB. The person above who gained 5hp, has a Toyota Vios. Scottsdalestc obliviously has a tC, lol. So, its best to note which vehicle someone is talking about when they state their gains.

Effects on the engine will depend on how its tuned. Someone could severely damage their engine if they don't tune it properly. MPG will also depend on how its tuned and of course driving habits. If its tuned for more power by leaning it out, then less fuel is being used but more aggressive driving habits could counter act that.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Kept it to run on lean mix as i have yet to upgrade my exhaust system. also told the tuner not to over tune now as i still have other plans for my car.

increased only 5HP, from 82.88 to 88.76... 0 to 100 used to be 11++ seconds , now it's 10.46 seconds

US is sellin camcon rather expensive, i must say. i did mine for RM1550 (413.72USD), including installation and dyno run.

got it cheap as i was the guinea pig i guess
Careful you arent running it too lean... that can be a bad thing.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you want to shoot for 14.7 AFR with a naturally aspirated engine.

does the camcon monitor knock?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you want to shoot for 14.7 AFR with a naturally aspirated engine.

does the camcon monitor knock?
No, it doesn't monitor knock, or even tap into the knock sensor signal wire. And for the most (safe) power many say you should aim for an a/f around 13.5 for a N/A engine. But, that's also going to very from car to car. 14.1 - 15.1 might net better gains on the tC though. I would like to data from someone experimenting w/ the A/F on the 2AZ.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Unless I just overlooked the link, I'm having a hard time finding a website that sells the Camcon. Can someone post the link please?
Old 08-10-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Unless I just overlooked the link, I'm having a hard time finding a website that sells the Camcon. Can someone post the link please?
Send a PM to Lastlookcustoms...hes got them for cheap.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
I want to read info. on the product too...
Old 08-11-2005, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
dont mind me asking, wat would happened if i ran too lean? there would be too much air only,right? wat damages would there be?

Thrawn,
you're right! A friend of mine installed this unit into his Toyota Altis and he only gained 2HP... Btw, have you ever seen or heard of Vios before? just curios as Vios is only sold in South East Asia.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
I want to read info. on the product too...
More info, please refer the link http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/po...se_camcon.html
Old 08-11-2005, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

dont mind me asking, wat would happened if i ran too lean? there would be too much air only,right? wat damages would there be?

Thrawn,
you're right! A friend of mine installed this unit into his Toyota Altis and he only gained 2HP... Btw, have you ever seen or heard of Vios before? just curios as Vios is only sold in South East Asia.
Running too lean makes your engine run hot. Too lean will reduce engine life and can burn up your engine.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thrawn,
To my understanding, by running too lean, you risk excessive heat build up which can cause detonation and/or pre-ignition. Which is almost as bad as pre-mature eja... ah never mind, this is a family site, lol. Anyway, having a some what rich mixture, lets say 13.1-1 to 13.5-1 for an N/A engine ypically allows for safer motor operation by providing cooler engine and exhaust gas temperatures and decreasing the risk of the a/f mixture exploding before the spark (pre-ignition), or excess un-burnt a/f mixture exploding after the spark (detonation/pinging). It also makes sure there is plenty of fuel available for the combustion process to burn up all of the oxygen. There is no universal "best" A/F ratio though (in terms of the best for power). It will depend on the motor (and by that, I mean the best A/F for a 1ZZ-FE will be probably be different than the best for a 2JZ-GE).

I have heard of the Vios before, but it's not sold here in America as the Vios, if I'm not mistaken, it's the Corolla,or something very close to it.

EDIT

Correction, I was mistaken. The Vios doesn't appear to be the same as the Corolla. It seems to share a platform with the Echo,Yaris, and Vitz.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ True.

But you want to make sure you arent too rich at the same time. An excessively rich mixture creates more carbon monoxide, and to an extreme can also cause more fuel blowby and poor lubrication of the cylinder walls. This is on the extreme side though.

For an NA engine I would keep it between 14.1 and 14.7 to achieve the closest to the stoichiometric ratio.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ True.

But you want to make sure you arent too rich at the same time. An excessively rich mixture creates more carbon monoxide, and to an extreme can also cause more fuel blowby and poor lubrication of the cylinder walls. This is on the extreme side though.
Too much of anything can be bad. ^_^ Those are good points regarding have too rich of a mixture. 13-13.5 should be safe for N/A. 12-12.5 is generally considered safe for F/I. That is just based on general research that I've done. I don't know exactly what's safe with the 2AZ.

For an NA engine I would keep it between 14.1 and 14.7 to achieve the closest to the stoichiometric ratio.
Bah! Stoich is for eco conscience losers who want their cat operating at maximum efficiency! lol, I'm j/k Seriously though, stoich is the best ratio for emissions. But deviating from it can net you more power, and do so reliably if care is taken during tuning.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

someone wanna answer my question?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thrawn
^^ Thats why I mentioned waiting until you had added some other significant power mods first. Even if you could do it in a few hours, which isnt allowing much cool down and tuning time you would have around $350 in tuning. so $700 - $800 for 10 HP. For $500 + gaskets, head bolts (I am pretty sure toyota uses stretch bolts which must be replaced each time) and self install I could have a ZPI head and around 15 - 20 HP gain according to the last info I heard from them.

I still think it is a cool product, but I would rather wait to tune it with a turbo installed to justify the tuning costs.
Then after you add that ZPI head, and other mods, you go out and get a CamCon to richen the A/F a little (ZPI says it runs really lean w/ a Stage 1) and get another 10 - 20 whp.

I agree, definitely a mod to do after you've done what you plan to do to the engine. Unless you have free access to a dyno, lol. As for using it with a turbo, it doesn't seem robust enough to me. Seems like an Emanage would be better suited for F/I.
Cool, that part about using it vs emanage with turbo was some good input! I will keep that in mind later on. Also, I did not know about it running lean with the head kit either. If I end up with the ZPI head or one similar, then adding the camcon would definitely be worth it then. A 30 - 40 WHP gain would be very nice on the NA engine!

And if you know of anyone giving away time on a dyno in the twin cities, i wouil love to know their name
Correction, according to ZPI the A/F actually runs rich with the head, as the ECU overcompensates w/ fuel for the added air. My apologies for the confusion.

As for installing it w/ a plug-n-play adapter, I don't know of any. The directions call for tapping 3 wires and splitting 2.

Quick Reply: Installed Camcon VVT-I controller