Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Which intake is best for the tC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by PolyFM_TC
If you had the choice between black and polished for an Injen Intake which would you choose? I can't make up my mind!
i ordered black. now i'm just waiting for it to come in, the people i ordered it from say it's backordered
Old 06-02-2005, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed that someone wanted to know where to pick up a injen intake. I just ordered one but then decided to go turbo so i wont be needing it. it has not been opened and is still in box .. i will sell cheaper than you can find anywhere just bkuz i want to get rid of. msg me
Old 06-02-2005, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats the cheapest I can get an INJEN CAI?
And where can I get it from?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone have a sound clip of the injen intake? Ive heard the k&n one already
Old 06-02-2005, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigPinoyTC
I noticed that someone wanted to know where to pick up a injen intake. I just ordered one but then decided to go turbo so i wont be needing it. it has not been opened and is still in box .. i will sell cheaper than you can find anywhere just bkuz i want to get rid of. msg me
PM sent...so from what im understanding, the majority of people here would get injen? my bro has an injen SRI in his car and i love the noise it makes. i was thinkin of goin weapon r secret weapon tho jus to be different from his but im convinced by what people said on this thread that i think imma go injen. one question tho..if i used the CAI extension, will it put out as much power as much as a real CAI?
Old 06-02-2005, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got my Injen installed today by a friend of mines, and all i can say is that i am verry happy that i went the Injen way, this is the best intake i have heard so far for the TC, its a reaaaallly low growl, nothing too loud, its just perfect for a race car, something that can put a smile on your face... And if you have ever heard a low mini turbo sound coming from your car while shifting gears, then this intake will make it louder, and it will sound like a spoooling sound from 2-3RPM and then it hits like a turbo, its still miner but you can hear it louder and alot more with this Intake, so i recommend go with the injen.

And no i dont represent injen and this is the 1st mod that i have done to my car, and im really impressed, everything else in the car is stock.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I am also in the market for an intake and have a few questions/concerns.

1) what about the AEM if it ever comes out would it be better to get this type of mod done through the dealer and would AEM be better then the rest?

2) Does an intake help or hurt your MPG?

3) do you have to use a higher grade of gas with an intake or is that only if you get a header??
Old 06-02-2005, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Fsu1dolfan
I am also in the market for an intake and have a few questions/concerns.

1) what about the AEM if it ever comes out would it be better to get this type of mod done through the dealer and would AEM be better then the rest?

2) Does an intake help or hurt your MPG?

3) do you have to use a higher grade of gas with an intake or is that only if you get a header??
1a) first part of your question: I'm assuming you are worried about the warranty being voided. The only reason to get the install (of *any* intake) done at the dealer would be if you are incapable of installing this item in the mannner according to the directions. Installing an aftermarket intake would only void your warranty if the dealer could prove, in writing, that either the part caused something in your engine to fail, or the improper installation of said part caused it.

1b)Second part of question: did you not read this post???? Look for my previous post, on page 1 someplace. it clearly tells you, supported with linx to an article, that one intake is more or less the same as another. One CAI is going to look and perform an awful lot like another CAI. One SRI will look/perform a lot like another SRI.

2)it's possible that you'd see a slight change in your MPG. Whether it is a decrease or increase would depend on your driving habits. At most, it would be +/- 2-3 Mpg.

3)You don't need higher octane gas with either an intake *or* a header. The "increase" in Hp you get from an intake is mostly due to getting rid of the restrive airbox and baffles on the stock intake. Aftermarket intakes have no baffles, and utilize a polished tube, resulting in smooth and increased airflow. A header does almost the exact same thing, only with exhaust gasses; i.e. it provides a larger, smoother, less restrictive path for exhaust gasses to exit the engine.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the K&N CAI and i like the sound and whistle i get from it. Although, i have not been pleased with the gains. I lost low-end torque and dont notice any gains whatsoever!
has anyone tried, or heard of, drilling holes in the bumper section where the intake is located. This would increase air going to the filter. It could be a dumb idea tho.
i might switch it to the short ram intake to see if i see any better gains there.
whatcha think is my best bet for increasing torque?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get the ZPI head