Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Intercooler with your Supercharger?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member

Default Intercooler with your Supercharger?!?!?

Wassup. I had a question for people with Superchargers. Do you guys have a intercooler installed too? If so, what kind do you recommend?
Old 12-13-2004, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The supercharger isnt out yet, rumored to be released in February or March.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

intercoolers on superchargers are alot different from the ones on turbos....at least to my understanding not as many superchargers have intercoolers on them.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the supercharger is supposed to come out in feb/march, and the intercooler is rumored to possibly come out. I'm hoping they offer it.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScummyMcOwnage
the supercharger is supposed to come out in feb/march, and the intercooler is rumored to possibly come out. I'm hoping they offer it.
me too...
Old 12-13-2004, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by English
intercoolers on superchargers are alot different from the ones on turbos....at least to my understanding not as many superchargers have intercoolers on them.
They still do the same thing -- they cool down the air after the supercharger/turbocharger compresses it. Remember, as you compress a gas, its temperature will become hotter. The reason why not too many superchargers have intercoolers is because of their low boost application. When you increase the boost, the need for intercooling becomes greater.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member

Cars with superchargers installed in them offer less plumbing than turbocharged cars, so... A front-mount intercooler is not the best best. I would install an in-line intercooler in the engine bay and look for a hood with a hood scoop that delivers cold air to it. Or... You could do an in-line air-to-water heat exchanger and have a pump in-line with a front mount water-to-air heat exchager. That would be a nice setup.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've never seen a supercharged car with an intercooler on it. There's really no point. A supercharger doesn't sit inline with the exhaust track right AT the exhaust ports on the head like a turbo does, so it doesn't get cherry red hot like a turbo does.

Typically with a supercharger you just run an intake tube with a cone filter on it wherever you want to pull air from. Intercooling a supercharger setup would mean more pipe, and and expensive intercooler that really wouldn't benefit you at all. Slapping the equivalent of a cold air intake on the supercharger, so it pulled cool air from inside a fender well or behind an opening in the front bumper would be more benefit than forcing the blower to pull air through a longer intake track.

With a non-centrifugal supercharger (the TRD one is centrifugal), the supercharger bolts right to the head, so intercooling it would be impossible. Personally if I saw someone with a sueprcharger on their car, centrifugal or not, and they had an intercooler in there complicating things, I'd assume they were a dumbass.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by i64X
I've never seen a supercharged car with an intercooler on it. There's really no point. A supercharger doesn't sit inline with the exhaust track right AT the exhaust ports on the head like a turbo does, so it doesn't get cherry red hot like a turbo does.

Typically with a supercharger you just run an intake tube with a cone filter on it wherever you want to pull air from. Intercooling a supercharger setup would mean more pipe, and and expensive intercooler that really wouldn't benefit you at all. Slapping the equivalent of a cold air intake on the supercharger, so it pulled cool air from inside a fender well or behind an opening in the front bumper would be more benefit than forcing the blower to pull air through a longer intake track.

With a non-centrifugal supercharger (the TRD one is centrifugal), the supercharger bolts right to the head, so intercooling it would be impossible. Personally if I saw someone with a sueprcharger on their car, centrifugal or not, and they had an intercooler in there complicating things, I'd assume they were a dumbass.
actually you would be called the dumbass, based on your descriptions...
an intercooler goes between the boost device and the intake maifold... not before the boost device
what you described was a before cooler, if it is even real...
and you can put an intercooler on any non-manifold (or positive displaacement) type of boosting....
Old 12-13-2004, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ever look under the hood of a Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe? They have a roots type supercharger (Eaton M90) with an air-to-air intercooler. The SC actually sits on the car up-side down. The output faces up and the SC is bolted to the top of the intake manifod. Really a creative setup.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A big V8 will produce a little bit more heat than a 4 cyl. I doubt even making 240hp that the tC's 2.4L engine will produce enough heat to warrant anything more than a CAI.

It's totally apples to oranges. We're not dealing with pro-street cars or muscle cars here. The tC is a compact car.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default no intercooler on a S.C

88-89 AW11 MR2s came with the 4A-GZE that had Supercharger with an aftercooler/intercooler on it.

ps... so did the Toyota Previa with the S/C drive train.. they had an aftercooler/intercooler on it too.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A big V8 will produce a little bit more heat than a 4 cyl. I doubt even making 240hp that the tC's 2.4L engine will produce enough heat to warrant anything more than a CAI.

It's totally apples to oranges. We're not dealing with pro-street cars or muscle cars here. The tC is a compact car.
The heat the motor makes has nothing to do with the heat generated by a centrifugal supercharger. Any time you compress air you create heat. Heat is the enemy of making horsepower. When you want to make more power you want the incoming air to be as cold as possible. An intercooler does that, it makes the air colder. Same thing with Nitrous... it almost flash cools the incoming air, therefore making more power.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i am running 12 psi of boost...
if the air temp coming in the filter is 100 degrees..
after compression it will be about 205 degrees...

if i use an intercooler with 75% cooling efficiency (a little better then avg %) the air temp will be reduced to 125 degrees...

also as a by product of the cooler air is a .5-.7 drop in psi...the loss in boost is made up in the cooler air charge...
Old 12-13-2004, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

lol anyone using an intercooler on a sc setup is a dumbass!! Funny this one!!

It is well know that the toyota MR2 SC, if you increased boost it will heatsoak cause the intercooler in not sufficient.

yea lot of setup of sc are low boost so not a lot of heat produce but that doesnt mean having intercooler for sc is dumbass! You have a really funny way of thinking!!
The type of sc is also very important in the amount of heat produce, centrifugal, vortex, root, whipple, so before saying any sc intercooled is stupid, why dont you inquiry what kind of setup it is and find out if it need or not an intercooler.

wow some people dont know what they are speaking of!!

Later all
wawa 86 MR2 MKI SC (intercooler) & 05 Scion tC
Old 12-13-2004, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol anyone using an intercooler on a sc setup is a dumbass!! Funny this one!!

It is well know that the toyota MR2 SC, if you increased boost it will heatsoak cause the intercooler in not sufficient.

yea lot of setup of sc are low boost so not a lot of heat produce but that doesnt mean having intercooler for sc is dumbass! You have a really funny way of thinking!!
The type of sc is also very important in the amount of heat produce, centrifugal, vortex, root, whipple, so before saying any sc intercooled is stupid, why dont you inquiry what kind of setup it is and find out if it need or not an intercooler.

wow some people dont know what they are speaking of!!
Someplace, Somewhere, an english teacher just died.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bakaduin
Someplace, Somewhere, an english teacher just died.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ROTFLMAO...........
Old 12-13-2004, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Intercoolers are seen more often on turbochargers because of their nature - they make power from exhaust gas which is inherently scalding hot.

Yes, air is compressed and thereby heated by superchargers, but the effect is much less than that of a glowing turbine wheel two inches from where your intake charge is coming from. Intercooling a supercharger is a waste of money if:

-Your boost goals aren't high
-You have a cooling system that doesn't suck.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok not childern, stop the hate...

just answer the question...

can the TRD SC hold an intercooler?

Quick Reply: Intercooler with your Supercharger?!?!?