Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Intercooler with your Supercharger?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bakaduin
lol anyone using an intercooler on a sc setup is a dumbass!! Funny this one!!

It is well know that the toyota MR2 SC, if you increased boost it will heatsoak cause the intercooler in not sufficient.

yea lot of setup of sc are low boost so not a lot of heat produce but that doesnt mean having intercooler for sc is dumbass! You have a really funny way of thinking!!
The type of sc is also very important in the amount of heat produce, centrifugal, vortex, root, whipple, so before saying any sc intercooled is stupid, why dont you inquiry what kind of setup it is and find out if it need or not an intercooler.

wow some people dont know what they are speaking of!!

Someplace, Somewhere, an english teacher just died.
That is too funny!
Old 12-14-2004, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
can the TRD SC hold an intercooler?
vortech make powercoolers for most of their supercharger kits.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/products/coolers/
Old 12-14-2004, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on another note... sure the cooling on an intercooler is nice but...

the only real intercooler i see worth it is a small core spearch intercooler. Something with a low HP rating, ultra high efficiency, with MINIMAL pressure drop.

If the SC is running 6psi, and your intercooler is a 1.5psi pressure drop, then you better expect a slight loss of power, with the opposite being added reliability.

A side to side endtank setup on a smaller, highly efficient intercooler wont be too bad; especially if you plan on upgrading the pulleys and doing other extensive mods.

I plan on doing a small spearco intercooler if I see fit, along with all hard pipes for sure, and a matched lowe pressure BOV (more for fun, but still helps a little bit).
Old 12-14-2004, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member

I don't think someone asking a question about something they don't know about makes them a dumbass. However, one thing that does qualify someone to be labeled "dumbass" is the pompous, juvenile, **** waving we have witnessed by some in this thread. The above mentioned label can be applied when the following criteria are met:

1) The individual is suggesting someone else is stupid.
2) The reason given for item one is delivered in such a way that observers think this person is an arrogant ___ eater.
3) The reason from item two is not based on any truthful or factual information.

Look, no one really cares how much you know about cars. But, if you are going to call (or suggest) someone is a dumbass please be prepared to back up your statement with creditable information (your buddy Cooter with the 76 Firebird does not count). I will give you a few examples of what I mean.

As stated at rsportscars.com
"One thing turbos and superchargers do have in common is the need for intercooling. It is a common myth that turbos need intercooling and superchargers don't. There is no truth to this statement. Compressing air makes it hot; this is an inescapable fact of nature. The more efficient the compressor, the less it heats the air, but the heating still occurs and it is still significant... The end result is the same: Superchargers stand to benefit from intercooling as much as turbos do."

You can also read up on forced induction, intercoolers and other interesting subjects at HowStuffWorks.com.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

At least that statement backs up what I and a few others said. Get if if you want more power, and choose the right intercooler for your application.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

good work there ebola...(cooter...LOL)

it still amazes me that people can get to this site and post, but they can't do a simple little research on the net....

and tcguy, i don't know if i have ever seen anything over .75 psi drop from intercooling. if it is higher, i would suspect a leak...
Old 12-23-2004, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Alright, I have to add my 2 cents. I have a MINI Cooper S (currently at 247whp) which has a supercharger and a top mount intercooler. The Intercooler does make a difference. Also, I hope I am not the only engineer in the group who has taken thermodynamics. The intercooler on a s/c or turbo does give a increase in the amount of power that can be produced by the engine by cooling the air. The little loss in pressure doesn't compare to the gain in power that can be produced from the cooler air. You still have the same mass of air flowing and it is cooler. It all has to do with the Otto cycle. Look it up and do the analysis and you will see the point of the intercooler.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: no intercooler on a S.C

Originally Posted by Imprtracr1
88-89 AW11 MR2s came with the 4A-GZE that had Supercharger with an aftercooler/intercooler on it.

ps... so did the Toyota Previa with the S/C drive train.. they had an aftercooler/intercooler on it too.

good to know there are some people that know bout cars in this site.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by tcturboscion
Alright, I have to add my 2 cents. I have a MINI Cooper S (currently at 247whp) which has a supercharger and a top mount intercooler. The Intercooler does make a difference. Also, I hope I am not the only engineer in the group who has taken thermodynamics. The intercooler on a s/c or turbo does give a increase in the amount of power that can be produced by the engine by cooling the air. The little loss in pressure doesn't compare to the gain in power that can be produced from the cooler air. You still have the same mass of air flowing and it is cooler. It all has to do with the Otto cycle. Look it up and do the analysis and you will see the point of the intercooler.
you are not the only one with the knowledge of why/how it works....
Old 12-24-2004, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you are not the only one with the knowledge of why/how it works
dgHotLava: Stop being such a hater!
Old 12-24-2004, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PunkInDrublic
The supercharger isnt out yet, rumored to be released in February or March.
April its coming out
Old 12-24-2004, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by English
you are not the only one with the knowledge of why/how it works
dgHotLava: Stop being such a hater!
i'm not hating...just stating that i have the education, and i agree with the post tcturboscion wrote...
Old 12-25-2004, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member

Default my in put

since the s/c that is supposed to be released for the tC is a centrifugal supercharger then it is possible to put on an intercooler since centrifugal supercharger's are basically turbo chargers that are driven off of a belt instead of exaust air(i think) :? ... check this site for info. on superchargers http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/artic...erchargers.asp
also for those who think u can't put a supercharger on roots type s/c....well i believe the stillen roots type s/c for the g35 & 350Z has an option for an intercooler and i believe the intercooler is sandwiched between the engine and the s/c(i think its a water intercooler) http://www.stillen.com/news_select.asp?id=40
Old 12-25-2004, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by EbolaSalad
As stated at rsportscars.com
"One thing turbos and superchargers do have in common is the need for intercooling. It is a common myth that turbos need intercooling and superchargers don't. There is no truth to this statement. Compressing air makes it hot; this is an inescapable fact of nature. The more efficient the compressor, the less it heats the air, but the heating still occurs and it is still significant... The end result is the same: Superchargers stand to benefit from intercooling as much as turbos do."
I love how that takes into account the orange-glowing-hot tubine wheel which serves as a heater to all the air going through the compresser side, and how superchargers lack this.

Wait, it doesn't.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The bottom line here is that when you compress air you create friction which creates heat, and you are dealing with an airpump that has moving parts that also create friction which again create heat.

You can always benefit from intercooling no matter how much boost you are running. Intercooling does become more critical with higher boost pressure. I have built front mount intercooler systems for a couple supercharged cars before and they have all shown a substantial increase in HP, with very minimal pressure drop.

I am positive this will be the case with the TRD supercharger. I am planning on offering a front mount intercooler kit for the TRD supercharger setup, along with different size pulleys to increase boost pressure. The Intercooler will have a 3" core, and the pulleys will be available for 7psi and 10psi of boost with possibly higher boost models to come.

I will of course have dyno figures and track times to show the level of improvement.

NOW its really up to TRD to release the damn thing so we can get to work, and give you guys some real options!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: no intercooler on a S.C

Originally Posted by kris79
Originally Posted by Imprtracr1
88-89 AW11 MR2s came with the 4A-GZE that had Supercharger with an aftercooler/intercooler on it.

ps... so did the Toyota Previa with the S/C drive train.. they had an aftercooler/intercooler on it too.

good to know there are some people that know bout cars in this site.
If you want to get really technical about it...

Originally Posted by 5.0 Magazine
For years, we’ve always referred to gadgets such as the Igloo as intercoolers, especially when used in conjunction with turbochargers. So why all of a sudden is everyone calling these things aftercoolers? Because aftercooler is the correct term. By definition, an intercooler is a heat exchanger mounted between two superchargers, two turbochargers, or a turbo/supercharger combination, in a two-stage supercharged system. Only the most exotic of racecars have staged systems, but many World War II–era airplanes had multiple stages of superchargers, with intercoolers mounted between them. The term stuck in our vocabulary, to the point where we label everything that cools the incoming air charge an intercooler. But they’re actually aftercoolers, which by definition is a heat exchanger that mounts after the supercharger, like the typical Mustang application. Now you know.
So almost everyone here is wrong.