Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Introduction and a story about our TC

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 03:10 AM

Default Introduction and a story about our TC

Hey guys, I'm Billion, good to meet you. Well I wanted to introduce myself and share a story about my girlfriends 2006 Azure Pearl TC.
I was searching around for a badgless grill for the TC and I stumbled across this forum and ended up reading this thread,
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188920
which reminded me of the GF's problems with her TC. I wanted to post her story on that thread, but figured I owed a introduction since I'm a noob here.

She bought it brand new in late 2006 w/ 3mi on the odo. Anyways, I think it started in late 2007 a few days after her oil change. I was driving it and noticed under hard braking the oil light would come on. So I get home and told her about the light and confirm that she got an oil change a few days ago. I go back out and check the oil and there's NOTHING on the dip stick! I'm like, WTF! We just got the oil changed. I then look under the car expecting to see the puddle on the driveway that I somehow missed...pavement was dry like it always is. So I tell her to call and make another appointment, which she does.

Next day she takes it back to the stealership and tells them about there not being oil and about the oil light. I think the dealership just wrote it off as someone f'd up and didn't put oil in the car. A few days later (maybe 4) and we got the same problem w/ the oil light coming on. Check the dip stick...dry! DOUBLE WTF! Now I know they're are incompetent.
Back to the dealership we go.

We tell them the problem and they see the maintenance record on their computers and want to keep the car for tests, and put us up with a rental (an auto Corolla, what a pile). I was hoping for a loaner, like an XB (I'm an Element driver and wanted to see what the XB was about), but as they explained, loaners are for short term and they might be keeping her TC for a while. A while turned into 2 weeks. During that time something made them crack the engine open. They called her at work and tell her they found the problem. Turns out a piston ring in the #3 cylinder, IIRC, came unseated and oil was blowing by. But only at high rpms was there noticeable smoke out the exhaust. Which made sense why we never saw any smoke cruising around or at stoplights. To make things worse, that piston ring gouged the cylinder up pretty good, which I didn't get to see. So I asked if they were going to swap a new engine or just the block, to my surprise they swapped out for a brand spanking new engine!

Talking to the service guy that we always seemed to be dealing with, he said this was such a huge deal, that Toyota head office reps were sent down to oversee the situation. The "bad" engine was shipped off to Toyota's CSI department and we got a brand new engine. Which, as we were told, was the first TC engine replacement in the US. Ran like brand new after we got it back...well...it was brand new!

In the end Toyota (Scion) made everything right and earned my respect once again (just about everything I've owned had been a Toyota).
I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice story and good that toyota did what they HAD to do!!
Old 06-26-2010, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 06-26-2010, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just kidding..welcome aboard!