Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

K&N CAI or AEM CAI....?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default K&N CAI or AEM CAI....?

wassup people. i'm lookin to buy a CAI for my tC, but what do you all recommend or know from experience. k&n or the aem? personally i think the aem would be better, but i need some feedback.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the aem intake for the tc isnt out yet so if u want one now then its gonna have to be k&n.......or u can wait for aem.....when ever that is......
Old 04-26-2005, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i went to the dealer where i bought my car and they told me that the intake is on backorder. so it can come in anytime. i think im gonna wait for the aem though. just b/c its a better name.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sam_J84
well i went to the dealer where i bought my car and they told me that the intake is on backorder. so it can come in anytime. i think im gonna wait for the aem though. just b/c its a better name.
Well first of all,you dealer is kind of lying to you, because the aem CAI isn't even out yet. When it does come out, then it will be beackordered because people have already put up their money for it. Secondly, I would argue that K&N is the better company of the two.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

aem is good they make the dc header that i got on my car and ive got the K&N on my car and i love it, k&n has a much better reputation.....they always put out quality product that are dependable.....plus its got a million mile warranty.......but the k&n is on back order right now but u can find a place online just search and call and have them physically check for in-stock....but if aem is what u want then you'll be waitin.....no release date yet.....typical TRD i mean look at the supercharger....need i say more?
Old 04-26-2005, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would personelly wait for the aem, most likely it would give ya the most hp gain out of the intakes that are out right now. Plus aem probabaly has the best cold air intakes, my opinion
Old 04-26-2005, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually have the K&N intake. Coupled with my TRD exhaust, lemme describe the car's new feel. Off the line, the car has a more aggressive profile. On the top end it feels like it has more capacity (muscle car esque). It definately feels like it gains some muscle. Now I don't have the headers yet, but once that happens, I'll update my diatribe.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

k&N CAI produces the most gain overall, in Import Tuner they tested out the AEM CAI and it only produced 3.2hp and 2.9 Ft lbs TQ something like where the K&N was dynoed at 6 hp and 6 ft lbs TQ and the AEM is slightly more expensive i say go with K&N
Old 04-27-2005, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i actually bought the aem cai but when i went to pick it up toyota canceled it becaus ethe cai wasnt epa approved for the tc just like jrv2000 said so you never know when it will come out...i had an aem cai in my other car and loved it the power was good but like tc05 said the k&n intake is much powerful so im getting that one because you never know when aem is goin to release the cai...
Old 04-28-2005, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeha it keeps getting pushed back, i wonder what the hell AEm and Injen are doing that they cant get CARB approval, if AEm was going to give you more gains i would say wait but K&N is a great product im happy with it, just a pain to align the bottom pipe lol oh and dont worry about hydrolock or a dumb by pass valve, the wheel well plastic covers up the filter really well about 90%, it has enough openings to get the air in, and enough coverage to keep you safe from water
Old 04-28-2005, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And you shouldnt be driving through deep water in a car anyways... I wanted to wait for AEM or Injen but I'm starting to get ____ed off with their crap. I mean this is getting very old. I got my tC on July 8th (waited since February for it) and they had been talking about the AEM intake that would be available shortly after the tC's launch date. I havn't bought a CAI yet because I'm back and forth thinking about the SCs and TCs. I think I've decided that those options are not worth the money if you will be paying for Premium gas(todays gas prices?) and getting the mpg of a truck. I had made up my mind on getting the K&N but then it gets backordered till july? Sigh... More waiting
Old 04-28-2005, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow that sux....i know gas prices are rediculous how much doe sit cost you guys to fill your tanks...it cost me $28 but i put 89 octane in mine....and my car runs great...
Old 04-28-2005, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

try vividracing.com they had some when i ordered mine a week ago fast delivery to about 4 days, and i spend $25 to fill up my tank with eth Premium V Power gas Shell offers 92 octane in chicago its about $2.55 a gallon, and yes i know premium aint making my car run any faster but hey the best for my first New New car and i use Synthetic oil also i like the smooth ride i get
Old 04-28-2005, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yah thata what i use also for oil...
Old 04-28-2005, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You can always order the AEM or Injen CAI for the camry That's been carb approved, and it will fit on your tC
Old 04-28-2005, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use that royal Purple stuff yes i fell for the gimmick it says on the cover increase horsepower but i will admit it does feel smoother and i do get more MPG after i started using it or it could be the K&N CAI hmm lol but above anything else synthetic is synthetic anything is better than conventional thats my ideal iwsh i dindt throw away taht thingy for three free oil changes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so if i ordered the intake for a camry it will DEFFINETLY fit my tc..????i heard this some where else but didnt pay any attention to it...
Old 04-28-2005, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yes...here's the link with pix of someone who has done it:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...818&highlight=
Old 04-28-2005, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanx.....
Old 04-28-2005, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

no problem. Is that the intake you were thinking off, or are you gonna go with the AEM?

Quick Reply: K&N CAI or AEM CAI....?