Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

K&N CAI or AEM CAI....?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well right now there really is no choice but to go with the injen short ram for the camry..but i would like to get aem if they make one ill check it out thanx for your help.or do they make a cai for a camry??
Old 04-28-2005, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

no idea... I went with Weapon R. Got a really great deal on it. Have yet to find time to install it tho, b/c the weather has been ____e here.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yah well it just got done raining here..but its getting nicer...but i think i might go with the injen short..if they dont make a cai for the camry...
Old 04-29-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a question that hopefully someone can help solve. Heres the problem: I have read that the K&N CAI gives the tC 6hp. There are no estimates on the AEM CAI so I dunno about that. Well about how much is a CAI expected to add? I have read in the TRD accessories catalog that the TRD CAI for the Toyota Matrix will give between 2 and 20 HP(yeah I know thats a big difference but thats what it says) And some people that have the Injen short ram made for the camry are saying it give around 20hp and a CAI would give about 30(for the tc)? Im confused cause this sounds alittle over the top. I have never had a CAI since this is my first car and I want the best, performance wise since I'm not getting a turbo or supercharger. Can anyone help me sort this out?
Old 04-29-2005, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The gains you get from performance intakes are going to be minimal at best. All of the Cold air intakes (CAI) and Short Ram intakes (SRI) are going to give you more or less the same gains: <10whp, and at most 1-2hp difference between them. The biggest reason you see a gain in Hp is that the intake is no longer hampered by the airbox, which in almost all cases are very restrictive.

Anyone that tells you that you're going to get more than that is either trying to sell you something, or is just not *informed*.

There is no safe/cheap/easy/quick way to *significantly* add HP. There just isn't. If there were, don't you think the manufacturers would be doing it from the factory?

What's normal for a CAI/SRI is about ~5 whp.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying intakes aren't worth it (I have one, after all), I'm not even saying that they dont do anything. I'm just saying you aren't going to see a *huge* amount of power increase, just by adding one. And you arent going to see a significant advantage from one intake to another.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toastbox
The gains you get from performance intakes are going to be minimal at best. All of the Cold air intakes (CAI) and Short Ram intakes (SRI) are going to give you more or less the same gains: <10whp, and at most 1-2hp difference between them. The biggest reason you see a gain in Hp is that the intake is no longer hampered by the airbox, which in almost all cases are very restrictive.

Anyone that tells you that you're going to get more than that is either trying to sell you something, or is just not *informed*.

There is no safe/cheap/easy/quick way to *significantly* add HP. There just isn't. If there were, don't you think the manufacturers would be doing it from the factory?

What's normal for a CAI/SRI is about ~5 whp.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying intakes aren't worth it (I have one, after all), I'm not even saying that they dont do anything. I'm just saying you aren't going to see a *huge* amount of power increase, just by adding one. And you arent going to see a significant advantage from one intake to another.
I agree with toastbox completely. All the currently available mods (with the exception of FI) do for your engine is just unlock what power that is already being produced stock. The intake, headers, and exhaust are only removing points of flow restriction. They aren't really 'adding' any power at all. Just something to think about.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks girvani! Nice to see someone else that gets it
Old 04-29-2005, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toastbox
Thanks girvani! Nice to see someone else that gets it
No problem I also agree with the ridiculousness of comparing Weapon R to K&N or any other brand of intake. It's like trying to compare two straws of identical size and shape. No matter what, unless you suddenly get more powerful lungs, you're still only going to get a certain matter of draw from those straws no matter what you do. The only way to really get a decent increase from an intake is to bore out the throttle body to a larger diameter, which would allow more air through the port and into the engine, but even then the engine will only draw so much air...
Old 04-29-2005, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I have a K&N... there is No point in having this! I mean this without an s-pipe means nothing.. It's loud... I love it... I took off my plastic bottom bumper covers off to get more air... but that's bad since it's been raining in California...

also.. a little bracket on mine broke..

I think it's a factory defect.. I'll have it welded on but it's still bad that it broke.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Crafter
I have a K&N... there is No point in having this! I mean this without an s-pipe means nothing.. It's loud... I love it... I took off my plastic bottom bumper covers off to get more air... but that's bad since it's been raining in California...

also.. a little bracket on mine broke..

I think it's a factory defect.. I'll have it welded on but it's still bad that it broke.

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say that there is no point in having an auxiliary intake. It *does* increase air flow and increases throttle response. As far as your bracket is concerned, I'm not really certain what happened there. Could be a factory defect, or it could have resulted because of any extra tension from the other mounting brackets.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

couldnt have said it better myself...lol
Old 04-30-2005, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont forget though that the K&N's are backordered till july!!!
Old 04-30-2005, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yah that sux i think im going to order the sri then when the cai comes out ill get that because ill use the short ram for racin or something...
Old 04-30-2005, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So basicaly ppl are saying the CAI frees up 20hp but it produces about 6 whp? Now I understand... I have one more question. Is it normal to have the drop in power that is shown on the dyno? I think it occurs between 2.5 and 3 RPMs? I've never had an intake before so I just wanted to ask! Thanks...