Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

K&N CAI Installed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Make sure to let it idle for a while with occasional revving so the ECU will pick up the changes before you go powering down the road. The instructions on my Injen CAI and from what I've heard from knowledgable sources say 15 minutes. That's what I did and haven't had any CEL issues...
Old 03-17-2005, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigKid
I was wondering for those of you that have already installed your intakes...was there any problems with any electronics afer re-installing the battery terminals.
i didn't disconnect the battery at all, i just installed the intake then let it idle for about 15 minutes in my driveway, no CEL at all and I drove 500-600 miles already.

the idle is exactly the same as stock too.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i heard they stopped selling the typhoon cuz it didnt pass carb.. where are all you guys getting these?

edit for the carb.. my bad
Old 03-17-2005, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as i said in the first post, I got it from hopupracing.com

i don't really care if it passed carb or not, I live in florida.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah for real, in georgia only metro atlanta registered tags need to be emissions tested....muahahaha suckers!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn californian hippees
Old 03-17-2005, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^you again!
Old 03-17-2005, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was an easy install and resetting the windows only took a few sexonds. THe rubber hose that came with it was a bit long so I cut it shorter and used the exter to keep from havieng a rub point on the second pipe when it goes into the wheel well. It took me like a little over an hour. I did some how loose one bult and put a temp in until I can get anouther long enough to properly replace it.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LIKE OR AS GOD
..and used the extra to keep from having a rub point on the second pipe when it goes into the wheel well.
that's a damn good idea, i'm going to try that when i get home. right now I have a folded up paper towel in there.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe you should complain to K&N, it really shouldn't be rubbing against anything if it was installed/engineered correctly
Old 03-17-2005, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by English
maybe you should complain to K&N, it really shouldn't be rubbing against anything if it was installed/engineered correctly
i'm not worried about it, it barely rubs at all. placing something in between the will fix the problem.

i didn't even mention it in my first post, because when someone on this board see's something like that rumors start going around about how the intake sucks and it gets way out of hand.. for example, when someone put the WR intake on incorrect the CEL came on, then everyone thought the WR intake was crap even though it wasn't.

also, i wanted to mention that when something is in there preventing the rubbing you can't see it at all when you open the hood.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by f1nch
yes.......if you drive into the ocean....hydro-lock is a myth..dont worry about it...
Hydro-lock is not a myth. I was with friend in his civic (equipped with an aem cai) when he cruised through a decent sized puddle. Nothing extreme, just some build-up from a rainy day. And he hydro-locked right there on the spot. Costed him an sh*t load of money. He had to replace the entire engine. I'm going w/ WR SW. Better power gains right off the bat, and once the heat shield comes around it'll be kickin.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ToBeeyach
I'm going w/ WR SW. Better power gains right off the bat
The WR short ram intake costs just as much as the K&N full CAI. You gain 3torque from the WR, 6torque from the K&N, equal horsepower (6 for both).

considering you can take apart the K&N CAI and make it into a short ram for no cost at all, why on earth would anyone choose the WR intake?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by English
It wasn't rubeing, but I noticed if you hit a big bump or something it might. bump on the bottom of the pipe. So I put it there, cause even if it's all tight and nice, you going to have parts bounce around some under the hood. Pluss I'm not going for looks I'm going more for performance. Though at a later time I"ll add an actualy ruber trim around the hole for looks.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Approve / Not Approve

I am looking at this CAI on ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

I would like to know your opinions on this as I am thinking of purchasing it.. there is a new version which is nearly $200 but I would prefer this one as it's not expensive..

thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Approve / Not Approve

Originally Posted by mykeymagik
I am looking at this CAI on ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

I would like to know your opinions on this as I am thinking of purchasing it.. there is a new version which is nearly $200 but I would prefer this one as it's not expensive..

thanks
By looking at the picture I'm not sure how exactly it would fit and reach all the way from the tb to the space where your airbox is
Old 03-23-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine will be here next week I hope. Don't have to worry about the CARB issue, nice!!!! Hey what color did you get?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here is another one that the ebay guy sells

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38634

how the hell would a carbonfiber filter work isnt that like making an aluminum box and saying its a filter? and that pipe wont even reach the throttle body
Old 03-23-2005, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ I hope that isn't a picture of the actual product. If so good luck getting that to work..hehe
Old 03-24-2005, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member

Default K&N rocks

the install took a little long because i dropped the allen key into the engine bay, and it took me 1 hour to find it, by the time i finished the install it was 2 am but i still took it out for a drive. let me say this car sounds like a beast under full throttle now, you can notice the intake come to life once the vvt-i kicks in. theres deffinately more power because i can now hit 80 mph in 3rd gear, where before i was in the 70-72 range. i also got it some how for 129.99 from suprastore, but that was an error and it has since changed, anyways see you all in EXPOSED daytona,

Quick Reply: K&N CAI Installed.