Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

k&n Complete Cold Air...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by tc05
What is this darn carbon filter i keep hearing about in the stock air box? Am i going to have to take this off or leave it in i have no idea on how it looks? If i take it off will it make my CEL come on? just wondering because i get my intake today and dont wnat to have to stop in the middle of teh install because i have no idea what in the word that is or if i need to take it off or leave it in thanks for your help
Check out this page on the K&N website. There's a link to a great PDF file that shows complete installation instructions for the Scion tC. This is for the blue one I ordered - change the TB at the end to TS to see the silver one.

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/sear...Prod=69-8607TB
Old 04-15-2005, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks seems like alot but i have nothing better to do than install my intake today im off work and its going to be a nice 60 degree day her in chicago
Old 04-15-2005, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks seems like alot but i have nothing better to do than install my intake today im off work and its going to be a nice 60 degree day her in chicago
Good luck! Take photos, if you can, as you go so we can see how hard the work is.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Of course an ill probaly be video taping the whole thing also better than pictures i belive and of ocurse the road test
Old 04-15-2005, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Of course an ill probaly be video taping the whole thing also better than pictures i belive and of ocurse the road test
Try getting some audio before and after, too. I'm curious as to the sound difference.
Enjoy! Make us proud!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That was the plan, and i will also do a test on if it saves money on gas i know you were nterested in knowing about that, ill et you know the outcome see if i gained or lost MPG i will try see TRY and drive under normal conditions no lead footing
Old 04-15-2005, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i will try see TRY and drive under normal conditions no lead footing
Yeah -- and pigs fly... just like I do... ROFLMAO!!!
Old 04-17-2005, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can do it
Old 04-17-2005, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont think there's enough room for the filter if you converted it to a short ram...but when the rain starts pouring this July looks like I'll have to try
Old 04-18-2005, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok people almost starting on the install of my intake i called around to many techs and they all told me the same thing That it is a bad idea to heat wrap the intake, i called around about this issue because i read some where about heat soaking, so i did call around and they gave me the technical mumbo jumbo about it but overall they alll told me taht the intake dispurses away the heat away from the pipe by itself. and that putting the heat wrap around it may cause even more heat in the pipe because the air coming into it does not have a chance to release the heat. thus the heat wrap will actually enclose the outcoming heat and make it even hotter. i called K&N of course and called vividracing, creativecompacts hopupracing and summit racing and they all told me the same thing, just want to know your opinion and if anybody else with the intake has heat wrap, or not. does the car run better with it. Or if you have no heat wrap do you feel any sluggishness Thanks
Old 04-18-2005, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No Heatwrap, no sluggishness, not even in Phoenix AZ
Old 04-19-2005, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fair warning this site is OUT of the K&N Intakes

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/

I ordered my intake from them on 15 Apr. Then I got a series of 3 emails over the weekend. The first thanked me for my order. The second told me that they wouldn't support 2 day delivery on performance parts. Then lastly they told me that the intake was back ordered, and I would have to check back in a couple of weeks. From good - to bad - to downright ugly!! I was so ____ed because I was looking forward to tomorrow. Well, if any of you guys want to tell me where to get the cold air intake, let me know. But stay away from those shiesty fools!!! I'm lucky I didn't get charged on my credit card. But I will inform them tomorrow NOT to fulfill my order!! I want to get my intake from a reputible dealer, without hassles or horror stories.

EDIT:

These guys have the part in stock, and I should receive the part tomorrow!!! WooT !!

http://www.4filters.com/merchant/merchant.mvc?
Old 04-20-2005, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok got the darn intake on what a pin to get the bottom pipe aligned talk about needing more in depth instructions, plus i have one question did u have a whistle sound when you put yours on when you hit 3k or when at shifting points? is this normal or do i have an intake leak? And why are people so worried about hydrolock the damn filter gets covered up by the wheel weel plastic, or did i forget to keep it off
Old 04-21-2005, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member

Well I should get mine on tuesday and when I do I will try the Short-Ram first to see if it can be done. I will take pictures of it to show if it works or if it does not and let everyone know why.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got mines yesterday and installed it!!!!

Ohhhh Goodie-Gumdrops Turkish !!!
Old 04-28-2005, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay one question how much play do you guys get in your inatke? i seemed to have tighten up the bolts pretty tightly but i can still wiggle the intake around not to the extreme where i hear bolts clinging or anything like that just some play im guessing thats good because if it was stiff you would end up breaking the brackets due to the motor movements and high throttles just give me your feedback thanx in advance
Old 04-28-2005, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

okay.... didn't even know about this thread!

let me try to answer some questions... I'm nowhere near an expert, but I know a little

the whistle sound is normal for CAI's... it only took the K&N tech about half an hour to install mine... VERY little play with moving the pipe around... the guys from K&N personally told me (while installing my Typhoon) that the Typhoon for the tC is ONLY a CAI, not a CCA or a SR... the intake is street legal in states other that CA... the filter sits right behind the driver's side air dam in the lower bumper (I keep forgetting to take a pic while my bumper is off)... I'ce heard of the CEL coming on in tC's because of the Typhoon, but has never happened to me... you don't need to worry about the carbon filter in the airbox because you completely take out the stock airbox... sounds great... I drive harder now than before the CAI, but I'm still averaging 5mpg better that w/o the intake... I've heard of a couple of people's Typhoons breaking the mounting bracket

I think that's all of them... did I miss any questions????
Old 04-28-2005, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Old 04-29-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats very pretty! 1 question though and don't flame me... Is it still on backorder? I heard up there ^^^^^ that it wasnt?

BTW does anyone have a picture of the aluminum intake?
Old 04-30-2005, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I honestly don't know personally if it's on back order or not... search the web, you'll probably find somewhere selling it

what do you mean by "the aluminum intake"?

Quick Reply: k&n Complete Cold Air...