Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

K&N Typhoon CAI or Weapon R SAR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default K&N Typhoon CAI or Weapon R SAR?

I didnt feel like going through a million search results so....

Which is better overall?
Which gives more gain, if either gives any?
Which doesnt sound ridiculously annoying?
Which is cheaper?

and any other comments you would like to add...

thanks
Old 05-06-2005, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to say the K&N, not because its the CAI, but Weapon R just hasn't been known for the best products, yes some of their stuff may be ok, but when you think of a car air filter, who do you think of? K&N shows dyno of 6hp, and costs about 230 bucks but is hard to find right now. just my .02
Old 05-06-2005, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well WR is producing more power to the wheels for the tC at the present time so its your call... BUT SEARCH... I dunno why there is 15 posts a day on intakes when there is only 2!
Old 05-06-2005, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have they posted up a dyno? I haven't seen it yet.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

btw buy stuff from these guys above me, they are the ish when it comes to tC parts
Old 05-08-2005, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

weapon R i believe posts slightly higher HP, BUT..... i think you lose more low end.

ALSO... it doesnt produce the same torque that the K&N does.

I can't imagine trading my K&N for anything. I could be wrong, but i feel like weapon r is more of a "rice burning" honda brand, where as K&N is more "overall performance" based.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vanberge
I can't imagine trading my K&N for anything. I could be wrong, but i feel like weapon r is more of a "rice burning" honda brand, where as K&N is more "overall performance" based.
rofl rice burining. i own a weapon r and its a great intake. ive heard more problems coming from KN....besides all intakes are the same, all you are doing is buying the name. 1 hp/tq gain or drop isnt going to make that much of a difference. and how can KN be overall performance based when both intakes do the same thing...very uninformed comment
Old 05-08-2005, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How can you say a short ram does the same as a CAI? A short ram just sucks in hot engine bay air... Not trying to be rude but they aren't exactly the same thing!
Old 05-08-2005, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how hot can the air be considering its being pulled directly from the grill, with a constant flow (assuming the car is moving)?
Old 05-08-2005, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

K&N all the way. Old, trusted brand. Great fit and finish, and if you ever think about doing a header - then full CAI is a must - engine bay gets hot as a mother without the heatshield.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by metalranger33
rofl rice burining. i own a weapon r and its a great intake. ive heard more problems coming from KN....besides all intakes are the same, all you are doing is buying the name. 1 hp/tq gain or drop isnt going to make that much of a difference. and how can KN be overall performance based when both intakes do the same thing...very uninformed comment
i haven't heard of any problems coming from K&N.... care to share?

and

how the hell can you say the weapon R and the K&N cai do the same thing??? yes they are both intakes, but one is a short ram and one is a cold air. last time i checked they are pretty different. go look at your "very uniformed comment" and re-edit it so you dont look like a retard.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a intake is a intake,if it is short ram or cai they both have the same principals. difference is one is short and one is long. If you have really researched on both short and cai they basically give you the same numbers.(im not saying they are the same thing) A cold air intake with suck air from below but by the time it reaches the engine bay it will have warmed up already thus it will out perform the wai….short ram on the other hand is just constantly sucking hot air from the engine bay and should give you less performance than a CAI. Basically a CAI will give you slightly better performance.
“last time i checked they are pretty different.”
Lol they seem pretty alike other than one is longer than the other…calling me a retard…lol

http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10437
there is some really good info on intakes so you can be informed next time, and there was a post on clubsciontc.com where a memeber had problems with his intake
Old 05-08-2005, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bluechualappa
How can you say a short ram does the same as a CAI? A short ram just sucks in hot engine bay air... Not trying to be rude but they aren't exactly the same thing!
put aside a that a wai is short, and a cai in long, what do they do...free up air into our engines. difference one put colder air than the other. at the end of the day i look at numbers and if both produce the same numbers, how can they be that different. im not trying to fight its just intake is a intake. and a name is a name, my weapon r hasnt failed me yet
Old 05-08-2005, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WR is producing the same if not MORE hp than the K&N and the best part is WR's power increase is THROUGHOUT the powerband, not just a one time spike...
Old 05-08-2005, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the best of both worlds imo.....wr short ram and ram air kit sucking cold air from below...
Old 05-09-2005, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey metalranger33, why does your profile say you have a K&N intake? I thought you had the WR? Whats the deal....
Old 05-09-2005, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bluechualappa
Hey metalranger33, why does your profile say you have a K&N intake? I thought you had the WR? Whats the deal....
yea i ordered my KN in jan from Tctunerz and never got it so he refunded it and i got my weapon r from creative concepts
http://www.clubsciontc.com/modules.p...ight=navy+blue
theres my car
Old 05-09-2005, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The K/N Typhoon CAI comes with one of the best filters on the market - K and N . Even AEM CAI's used to come with their filters. If you do get a Weapon R, make sure its the newest version. The first ones were know to cause a CEL by the MAF sensor.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Most likely, you aren't going to see any significant difference between either the K&N or the WR.

The big benefit of any aftermarket intake is that it is no longer in the very restrictive factory airbox. That is where the majority of the hp gain comes from.

A lot of people say that a CAI is better than a SRI, because if the air temperatures. Guess what? 1) when your car is moving, all that hot air isn't sitting in your engine bay anymore, airflow is dissipating it. So it's not like the SRI is sucking up only hot air 2) even if the air were sitting in your engine compartment, you're probably not going to see much difference in air temp between a CAI and a SRI, because regardless of where the inlet is located, the pipeis still in the engine bay. 3)Those pipes are temperature resistant, not temperature proof. So all that hot air is going to heat that pipe up. Guess what will happen to all that cold air, if the pipe gets hot??

I'm not saying intakes are worthless (they aren't). I'm not even saying that one is better than the other. I'm saying that performance wise, you aren't going to see significant hp/tq gain using one intake vs the other. You are better off deciding which one you want based on 1)availability (K&N's are backordered at the moment) 2)price 3)personal preference. 4)filter quality.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think what you are said about CAIs is true! With the CAI issue of the pipe heating up thats not going to affect the air much. Air is going to be sucked through that tube pretty fast. The air isn't going to have time to heat up! The air isn't sitting in the pipe for 30 sec. so it's hard to heat it up that much. And you said while driving the hot air somewhat goes away so thats even harder for the pipe to heat up!

And if you still don't agree with me, wouldn't the short ram heat up as much as the CAI pipe since you said it does? I mean the way you're making things sound the short ram would be sucking in hot air basiclly all the time once the engine warms up!

Quick Reply: K&N Typhoon CAI or Weapon R SAR?