Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

K&N Typhoon CAI or Weapon R SAR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I think you might have missed the first part of my argument, where I stated that the hot air is dissapating once the car is in motion.

To some degree, the pipe *will* heat up. That's just a matter of physics. If you don't think so, run your car for 20-30 minutes. Then open your hood, and put your hand on your intake. You'll see it's fairly hot. You are correct in that the air moving through pipe isn't in the pipe very long. Certainly not thirty seconds But look at how long that K and N pipe is. That air has to travel a looooong way through that pipe, which as we know, heats up I'm not saying that this will make the air coming in *as* hot as the air in the engine compartment, render a CAI useless, but I *am* saying that a hot pipe will raise the ambient temperature of the air that is inside, even if it is in the pipe very shortly.

And yes, the same can be said of the SRI.

Again, the majority of the gains you are going to see in an intake are due to the free-er airflow over the restrictive airbox.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just installed the K & N and for the money it does a pretty good. Don't notice a lot off the line, but once you hit about 4000 RPM it starts pulling, plus it has a great sound to it. Nice and loud. The filter sits right in front of the lower left grill insert. Of course there are no holes in it so I took mine out to see if it pulled more air.

Old 05-09-2005, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have to say.....that paiint job on your enginve cover is *sweet*. Did Randode do that, or did you do it yourself?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toastbox
I have to say.....that paiint job on your enginve cover is *sweet*. Did Randode do that, or did you do it yourself?
No, n2htwlz did it. I can't believe how well it matched the intake. That was not planned. It is all done in Viper blue pearl. He also did my interior console in the same color.

Old 05-09-2005, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toastbox
Again, the majority of the gains you are going to see in an intake are due to the free-er airflow over the restrictive airbox.
Agreed
Old 05-09-2005, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey metalranger33 how does that ehaust sound.. it looks nice. I'm looking into one, but I don't want one that is loud or one that sounds like a ricer.. you know that really loud annoting sound... thanks
Old 05-10-2005, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i choosed weapon-r simply because AEM is taking too long...

my buddies s2000 had a CAI (not AEM brand) and he accidently drove through a hugh puddle of water. the CAI sucked 2 huge gulps of water, later the car wouldnt start and he had to get his engine pumped... yea his car still lives today but the charge for fixing it was huge..
Old 05-11-2005, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05_scion_tc
Originally Posted by metalranger33
rofl rice burining. i own a weapon r and its a great intake. ive heard more problems coming from KN....besides all intakes are the same, all you are doing is buying the name. 1 hp/tq gain or drop isnt going to make that much of a difference. and how can KN be overall performance based when both intakes do the same thing...very uninformed comment
i haven't heard of any problems coming from K&N.... care to share?

and

how the hell can you say the weapon R and the K&N cai do the same thing??? yes they are both intakes, but one is a short ram and one is a cold air. last time i checked they are pretty different. go look at your "very uniformed comment" and re-edit it so you dont look like a retard.

"metalranger": what K&N problems have you heard of... cus im pretty sure i've heard of WR's causing CEL (original model, but still). Plus, K&N intake = K&N filter.

Plus, they are the same price. Weapon R is like half the tubing. it should be 150 tops.

"very uninformed comment"... lmao. i researched these two intakes for over a month before ordering. why did you order a K&N originally??
Old 05-11-2005, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CreativeCompacts
Well WR is producing more power to the wheels for the tC
this is not true. the K&N CAI makes more WHP & more torque.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

personally... i disregard both company's dyno tests....until I see an independent dyno, from both intakes, on the same car, I'm not going to believe any of it.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my opinion, the only reason that they dyno similar is because dyno's are done with the hood open, with huge fan blowing..

When "driving for real", the weapon R isnt going to have access to that kind of airflow to pull in.

I bet actual driving = less whp for the WR
Old 05-12-2005, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

THe K&N hands down, the cold air does not get warmer and the Weapon R doenst give more power to the wheels same Hp as the K&N less TQ than the K&N you prob read that 12 hp gain to wheels sales picth they had a while ago about the weapon R