Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Kens Dyno Run - Pictures and Video Inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Kens Dyno Run - Pictures and Video Inside

My mods are:

Short Ram Intake - Custom made
Grounding Kit - Doesnt make a difference but its there.
Flowmaster Axle Back Exhaust - Custom Bent

Misc Info

For those running a short shifter, my mech told me to, "get rid of that peice of ****, I Can't believe people sell these, they will cause damage to you in the long run, I bet when you installed it you felt a difference, but you dont know that that difference isnt a beneficial one, trust me, put the old shifter back in there and you will drive much better and it wont hurt you, it isnt worth it at all"

This comes not from some loser ASE mechanic that works in little havana, this comes from Garry Marsh, owner of the worlds fastest unibody eclipse Front wheel Drive, 9 sec car. I mean he KNOWS his ****. Im gonna take his advice and remove it. I mis shifted badly in the third video :-/.

The dyno was done at Speed Injected, for those in Miami, this is YOUR shop, though he mostly deals with Mitsu DSMS, Evos, Nissans, and what not, they are a great shop all around

Enjoy!

Video Links

If you do not have DivX installed, please install it, I would like your feedback on the movies. Thanks guys! The reason I used DivX is because the original movies are extremely large in size, these have been reduced to a few megabytes.

Right-Click -> Save-As ->Choose a Name, and Directory that you will Remember.

-> Link for Divx http://download.divx.com/divx/DivXPlay.exe
-> Third Gear Run http://www.dsmtunage.com/movies/Third%20Gear%20Pull.avi
-> Fourth Gear Run http://www.dsmtunage.com/movies/Fourh%20Gear%20Pull.avi
-> Misshifted All Gear Run http://www.dsmtunage.com/movies/Mis-shifted.avi
-> Garrys All Gear Run http://www.dsmtunage.com/movies/All%20Gear%20Run.avi

On the all gears run dyno sheet #3, it says a very high number as my top HP because of the shift spikes.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Nice Info, but I don't understand how a "Short Shifter" can damage your engine, unless you mis-shift... It doesn't do anything other than move the cables that change your gears the exact same way, while the top movement of the shifter is less. it's a physics issue, and changes NOTHING about how the transmission works.... The only damage you'll see is due to misshifts and or grinding gears, cause you don't shift correctly....

It just doesn't make physical sense at all.

Cool Numbers though....
Old 01-07-2006, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
Nice Info, but I don't understand how a "Short Shifter" can damage your engine, unless you mis-shift... It doesn't do anything other than move the cables that change your gears the exact same way, while the top movement of the shifter is less. it's a physics issue, and changes NOTHING about how the transmission works.... The only damage you'll see is due to misshifts and or grinding gears, cause you don't shift correctly....

It just doesn't make physical sense at all.

Cool Numbers though....
Thats what he was reffering to I guess. It is much easier to misshift with it on, and its easier to drag and not misshift with the old shifter on. I dont have any problems with misshifting 99% of the time but that was his recommendation, just passing it along.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I use to misshift a lot with the stock shifter but i havent missed one shifted since I have put my short shifter on.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

holly rev limiter batman

some one needs to learn how to shift a little better lol but nice dyno and the car sounds good
Old 01-08-2006, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Car sounds awesome, great numbers for custom mods. Keep it up.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've ground the gears like once, i've had no problems with my shifter and easily got used to it within a week. ____, this is my first five, you gotta wonder what hell is up when a pro like this guy can't shift properly, that's why you take the time to shift the lever through the gears to get the hang of it before starting the car. and tell him i could care less if he was freaking mario andretti _____ing about a shifter.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

I got to run a dyno as well.... we need more N/A dynos and 1/4's
Old 01-08-2006, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ill dyno in april and tune my safc there so expect a sheet from me around then if any one remembers lol
Old 01-08-2006, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Batjew
I've ground the gears like once, i've had no problems with my shifter and easily got used to it within a week. poop, this is my first five, you gotta wonder what hell is up when a pro like this guy can't shift properly, that's why you take the time to shift the lever through the gears to get the hang of it before starting the car. and tell him i could care less if he was freaking mario andretti _____ing about a shifter.
That was me that misshifted LOL. Sorry for the confusion. Ive been driving stick since i Learned at 15 so it isnt lack of experience, its lack of racing experience and *maybe* the SS isnt helping.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^It's cool to look up to ya boy, but I wouldn't trade my TWM Stage 2 for anything. Grinding gears is so far and few in between, that I don't think it would be enough to cause any type of damage. You can grind and mishift with the stock shifter too remember.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Actually I'm super paranoid shifting 3rd to 4th because of the TWM. Its nice and all but when you have to guide the lever into forth. If you just pull straight down it goes into 2nd. I mis-shifted twice after getting the TWM but again its nice to have and I don't regret buying it at all.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^^We have had our TWM 2 for probably about 3 months, and I have only mis-shifted/grinded once.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

How in hell could you possibly mis a shift with a short shifter..honestly...on my old car (don't got one on the tC yet)...when I put the short shifter on I couldn't miss a freakin shift...there was like...no room for error...hehe
Old 01-08-2006, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

:dunno: I've honestly had little trouble learning to shift.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Believe me guys, I love my TWM shifter, even have the logo on the rear side window. Thats what he was advising me and I was just quoting him. Ive been down the 1/4 mile about 4 times with the tC and have yet to misshift when it comes down to it. I dunno, might have been the feedback on the dyno that made me misshift, that or nervousness hehe. The first car to dyno was my friends Eclipse GST, he put down a mere 394WHP, the next guy a Civic Si put down 113 to the wheels, next a POS auto n\t eclipse put down 106WHP (LOL!), I knew that I could get higher numbers than the last 2 but I was still a bit nervous hehe. Oh and so you guys know a stock Auto Mustang MACH1 puts down 267whp from a claimed 305 flyweel HP, a Hundai elantra (LOLx2) auto with a fart can puts down 127WHP. After that I got bored and left to post here.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i like the way my car shifts right now but i have thought about getting a short shifter. i wish i could have an opportunity to drive one before installing on my car.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Apparently, our custom intake setups are really effective.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good numbers man, keep modding that thing and give us more dynos and on the topic of shifters, I've been using short shifters forever and have never had problems with them so I will continue to do so. I encourage each of you to do the same based on your personal experience with each mod you do to your car
Old 01-09-2006, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I am not going to comment on the shifter thing but I have a short shift that I would not revert back to the stock one. It was one of the best mods made. Im not understanding how your mechanic could say that but everybody has their own view. Keep in mind that she short shift is only changing the way it shifts. The end ball is the same and your car has no clue there is a different stick in there. Happy modding though and glad you dyno'd. looks like you have more torque then most people. I have the K&N intake which was proven to make a few less hp then other others but it sounds pretty damn nice. I am waiting on my draxas exhaust ...cant wait for that. I would like to dyno the car after I get the exhaust but I have to see how much $$ I have. I over spent this month ..hehe.

Quick Reply: Kens Dyno Run - Pictures and Video Inside